• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the ceiling on Special Marvel Edition 15?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

With the new buzz by the sweet trailer today and the cultural relevance of the first Asian superhero, what do we think the ceiling is on Special Marvel Edition 15? Could we see a Wanda-esque breakout of 2-3x on each grade when the movie releases?

Edited by drmanhattanite

If the Movie meets expectations and does well financially I see no reason why this wont follow it's Marvel predecessors. Its gone up in value and continues to climb. Either way i have a feeling we will see Shang Chi  in Movies/TV for many years to come and i think he will get new collector/fans in the near future that will build on that growth.

wp4521097.jpg

A book I could not sell for 1/3 of guide a few years ago. Uhg, There was ZERO interest. Koch used to list beautiful 9.0-9.4 copies at auction in about 2003/2004 for $9.99 when they were probably $75 in guide and I would win them all for the $9.99 starting bid. I had a huge stack of them, but could never sell them. 6 or 7 years ago I could probably get about $40 for them when they were like $150 in guide or something silly. It was a dead hopeless character and i got rid of all of them but one low grade copy. So stupid.

With that said, I think there are a ton of these out there. I would not invest a ton of money in this.

hah, i see I was all over that 2012 thread. at the time I still had my hoard of SE 15s, but did not think any of them were 9.6 or 9.8 and did not have the money to slab them. i could not sell nice raw copies for diddly.

33 minutes ago, the blob said:

A book I could not sell for 1/3 of guide a few years ago. Uhg, There was ZERO interest. Koch used to list beautiful 9.0-9.4 copies at auction in about 2003/2004 for $9.99 when they were probably $75 in guide and I would win them all for the $9.99 starting bid. I had a huge stack of them, but could never sell them. 6 or 7 years ago I could probably get about $40 for them when they were like $150 in guide or something silly. It was a dead hopeless character and i got rid of all of them but one low grade copy. So stupid.

With that said, I think there are a ton of these out there. I would not invest a ton of money in this.

Things Change.  Shang Chi has never had a movie before and the mass exposure , Today's prices might be a real bargain in the near future. All comics were cheap/common at some point (mainstream stuff), So many blah villains and comics are going for thousands just because of a TV/Movie appearance  to the point that it can be mind-boggling at least Shang Chi is a cool character with lots of Marvel history. Its a shame you didn't hang on to those books. I think most of us can RELATE to that!   :)

6 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

Things Change.  Shang Chi has never had a movie before and the mass exposure , Today's prices might be a real bargain in the near future. All comics were cheap/common at some point (mainstream stuff), So many blah villains and comics are going for thousands just because of a TV/Movie appearance  to the point that it can be mind-boggling at least Shang Chi is a cool character with lots of Marvel history. Its a shame you didn't hang on to those books. I think most of us can RELATE to that!   :)

recent sale for $7500 for a 9.8 tells me there is no upside, but then again, i am the guy who sold all of his years early

8 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

is anyone going to read shang chi comics? nobody ever did before. ultimately doesn't that have some impact on comic prices? do we think chinese collectors are buying cases of these? the movie is not going to do that well here, it will probably in china. didn't chinese market research decide that they don't think the actor is handsome enough? https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2478214/marvels-shang-chi-people-actually-think-simu-liu-is-too-ugly-to-play-the-hero  I have no way to judge, he seems good looking to me

3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

In this market I'm sure it will go bananas but it is worth it to mention that SME 15 was part of high grade warehouse finds many years back.

I believe the same thing also applied to Giant-Size X-Men 1 and Fantastic Four 48 and it doesn't seem to have hurt their price movement upwards longer term.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Koch used to list beautiful 9.0-9.4 copies at auction in about 2003/2004 for $9.99 when they were probably $75 in guide and I would win them all for the $9.99 starting bid. I had a huge stack of them, but could never sell them.

Yes, I of the very few books that I hoarded and ended up with something like 5 HG copies because I like the Gulacy artwork in the series.  :luhv:

I figured I couldn't go wrong with picking up the first issue in the run for a couple dollars or less every time they showed up in HG, before I realized I probably had way too many copies and would most likely never be able to sell them in the future.  doh!

1 hour ago, the blob said:

didn't chinese market research decide that they don't think the actor is handsome enough

Sadly, looks seems to be one of the most important criteria for whether you make it in the Asian movie biz or not, and especially even moreso in the case of the female actresses where it's all about nothing more than their exterior looks and beauty in most cases.  :(

Another perfect example here is to just take a look at the flight attendents on virtually all of the Asian airlines where if you are past the age of 25 or so, you are considered to be an old timer by then.  >:(

21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sadly, looks seems to be one of the most important criteria for whether you make it in the Asian movie biz or not, and especially even moreso in the case of the female actresses where it's all about nothing more than their exterior looks and beauty in most cases.  :(

Another perfect example here is to just take a look at the flight attendents on virtually all of the Asian airlines where if you are past the age of 25 or so, you are considered to be an old timer by then.  >:(

I did not get the Mulan actress for that. She is pretty, but not wowzers pretty.

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe the same thing also applied to Giant-Size X-Men 1 and Fantastic Four 48 and it doesn't seem to have hurt their price movement upwards longer term.  (thumbsu

Special Edition has already had its upward movement. putting aside 9.8s, but 9.4s, a grade that isn't that hard, I owned about 5-7 copies that could be 9.4s on any given day, are $2K. there's a limit. These numbers seem to be based purely on the fact that this is a big marvel movie, presumed to have a billion $ box office via china, and very little to do with genuine interest as a comic book property, unlike GS X-Men 1 and FF 48, which were worth something before any movies (though FF 48 was certainly helped) because folks genuinely loved the characters. A few middle aged guys though MOKF was a good read back in the day, but, without a movie nobody cares. Is he at least going to be a SHIELD operative or something? And Awkwafina? She's kind of amusing, but zero, I mean zero, sex appeal. Are Chinese audiences going to like her? Falah Chen is more traditionally gorgeous, but at 39, i dunno. I love michelle yeoh, so I'm all in I guess.

30 minutes ago, the blob said:

Special Edition has already had its upward movement. putting aside 9.8s, but 9.4s, a grade that isn't that hard, I owned about 5-7 copies that could be 9.4s on any given day, are $2K. there's a limit. These numbers seem to be based purely on the fact that this is a big marvel movie, presumed to have a billion $ box office via china, and very little to do with genuine interest as a comic book property, unlike GS X-Men 1 and FF 48, which were worth something before any movies (though FF 48 was certainly helped) because folks genuinely loved the characters. A few middle aged guys though MOKF was a good read back in the day, but, without a movie nobody cares. Is he at least going to be a SHIELD operative or something? And Awkwafina? She's kind of amusing, but zero, I mean zero, sex appeal. Are Chinese audiences going to like her? Falah Chen is more traditionally gorgeous, but at 39, i dunno. I love michelle yeoh, so I'm all in I guess.

I hear you - but you just described Guardians of the Galaxy... (at least the older stuff, as the newer series by Abnett/Lanning was pretty good writing)

Does this movie look to be as good/fun as GoTG? Unsure. Looking at the first trailer, it's a no. But we'll see...

GSX #1 and FF #48 were already very strong keys, but have trended upward since Marvel/Disney got the rights back from Fox & have gone nuclear recently. Those two books aren't even in the same financial universe as MoKF. (although from a percentage standpoint, maybe they are)

Every time I think there's a 'limit' on a book, I seem to have to re-adjust my thinking. The past 6 months have been insane. Some of the gains I'm seeing remind me of the Valiant craze & McFarlane's Spidey & then the intro of Image in the early 90's. But this is across the boards, from Silver down to Modern.

49 minutes ago, the blob said:

Special Edition has already had its upward movement. putting aside 9.8s, but 9.4s, a grade that isn't that hard, I owned about 5-7 copies that could be 9.4s on any given day, are $2K. there's a limit. 

9.0s are currently selling for about $2k, so I'd guess 9.4s are currently $3k+? (no current sales data on 9.4)

3 hours ago, batmiesta said:

As someone who read and loved the series in the 70's, the trailer looks very disappointing to me.

It felt a little like a Fast & Furious trailer. Lots of fast action. Hoping for depth of character and story too.

Lots of potential.