• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Am Providence: The H.P. Lovecraft Thread
3 3

270 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, asimovpulps said:

Let's keep the party going. Here's a fun issue which is one of only four Lovecraft covers. From what I've gathered from fellow boardies (thanks as always @OtherEricfor the knowledge), this is a bit of a tough find:

Weird Tales May 1942 (Canadian) with Shadow Over Innsmouth cover (originally printed in January 1942 US WT). Really nice copy too, very happy to add it to the collection! Just missing that 1924 Houdini issue of the 4 HPL covers now

PXL_20210708_212107564.thumb.jpg.96748d877aa6f512b795ac94ed685e1e.jpg

What are the other two WT HPL covers (besides the 1924 Houdini and the one above)?

On 8/19/2021 at 5:12 PM, Sarg said:

OK, I thought we were talking about just WT. I'm mad at WT for never giving HPL the cover during his lifetime (except the Houdini one).

I sort of get it in the 30's... Lovecraft's stories didn't obviously lend themselves to Brundage's artwork.

I will never, EVER, understand why they felt "The Ghost Table" was a better choice for cover story than "The Call of Cthulhu", though!

On 8/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, OtherEric said:

I will never, EVER, understand why they felt "The Ghost Table" was a better choice for cover story than "The Call of Cthulhu", though!

It feels like we need an entire thread dedicated to The Ghost Table. If nothing else, those three words are a great secret pass phrase to suss out whether someone is a True Pulp Collector or just a pretender :)

On 8/20/2021 at 9:28 AM, asimovpulps said:

It feels like we need an entire thread dedicated to The Ghost Table. If nothing else, those three words are a great secret pass phrase to suss out whether someone is a True Pulp Collector or just a pretender :)

While I believe most if not all the issue is in the public domain, it will be indisputably be completely PD in 2024.  While I'm in no position to do this, I've thought it would be fun to print a facsimile edition with new cover art but the old style trade dress, with somebody doing cover art for The Call of Cthulhu in the style of either C. C. Senf or Brundage.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:19 PM, OtherEric said:

While I believe most if not all the issue is in the public domain, it will be indisputably be completely PD in 2024.  While I'm in no position to do this, I've thought it would be fun to print a facsimile edition with new cover art but the old style trade dress, with somebody doing cover art for The Call of Cthulhu in the style of either C. C. Senf or Brundage.

Great idea. Ideally, we would have facsimilies of ALL the main HPL issues with reimagined covers in the style of the originals. 

Or someone could adapt other period art and use that. 

On 8/20/2021 at 2:55 PM, Sarg said:

Has anyone ever read "The Ghost Table"?

Yeah. I force myself to read all my magazines cover-to-cover to justify the ridiculous prices I pay for them.

It's about what you'd expect. I find the language and setting in stories like it mildly interesting. Contrast with "The Beasts of Ban-du-lu" (Wonder Stories, May 1931). That was a hard one to get through.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:19 PM, OtherEric said:

When I bought some of his Weird Tales pulps, I tried to get Frank Brunner to do a "fantasy" Weird Tales cover commission in the 1930-31 logo style but he's just way too far behind on commissions :cry:

On 9/21/2021 at 7:57 PM, htp said:

Here's something I've never seen before. The first publication of The Music of Erich Zann in The National Amateur:

eX5a5zS.thumb.jpeg.cc9e4965b22663ec816a6dcb249fe235.jpeg

Wp6l9re.thumb.jpeg.e8c55605e46fdbff6e76035ff9f2fee5.jpeg

That’s incredible. I’ve never seen an HPL issue of The National Amateur! I’ve been searching for the July, 1921 issue. That was the first publication of “The Picture in the House”. 

On 9/21/2021 at 10:57 PM, htp said:

Here's something I've never seen before. The first publication of The Music of Erich Zann in The National Amateur:

eX5a5zS.thumb.jpeg.cc9e4965b22663ec816a6dcb249fe235.jpeg

That first page article 'Rainbow' Called Best First Issue is a review of Sonia Greene's (HPL's future wife) amateur magazine.  I believe it lasted only two issues.