• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Am Providence: The H.P. Lovecraft Thread
3 3

272 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

All things must pass, and with today's entry we reach the end of what I consider my vintage Lovecraft collection.  I'll have a couple more items over the next couple days as a sort of coda, but today we reach the last new Lovecraft story... or, actually, stories.

The Shuttered Room, published by Arkham House in 1959, with the last previously unpublished Lovecraft stories.

Somewhat surprisingly, there is actually a lot of new material in this volume, even disregarding the two "Posthumous Collaborations" by Derleth.  There are three stories getting their first professional publication:  "The Alchemist", "Poetry and the Gods" (with Anna Helen Crofts); and "The Street".

Next, there are four pieces of juvenilia published for the first time ever- "The Little Glass Bottle", "The Secret Cave, or John Lee's Adventure", "The Mystery of the Grave-Yard", and "The Mysterious Ship".  They're mostly interesting as curios, but Lovecraft could write better at age 8 than I probably could now.

Finally, there's the highlight of the book... "Old Bugs".  It's a minor, early work of Lovecraft's, but it's fully a Lovecraft story.  And it's the last one we'll ever get.

Shuttered_Room.jpg

I love the phrase “Divers Hands”; it evokes an ancient feel. I first encountered the phrase in 70s Marvel comics, and it really fits well with HPL and his “collaborations”. I’ve enjoyed your daily Lovecraft posts and hate to see them come to an end. Thanks so much for this thread!

5 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Thanks for all the great posts Eric. I'll be in San Francisco in about a month and I'll have to check out that book store too!

You'll need to make an appointment, but they're pretty good about scheduling them.  And it's very worth the effort... In addition to the Lovecraft items, I've gotten PKD's first published story in Planet Stories, Merry-Go-Round in Oz 1st with dust jacket, and Ace Double D-15 Junkie, and tons of other pulps, vintage paperbacks, and underground comix.  PM me if you need contact info for them.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:59 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Cool I have a pile of postcards from these Bill Graham productions; I’ll have to see if any have the HP Lovecraft band!

I looked through all those postcards this morning and no sign of an HP Lovecraft! Too bad as I must have over fifty different cards. These were all found left at a house my wife's Dad bought in the Sunset district in the seventies; left behind by someone who must have picked them up in the record stores of the day as none of them have a stamp. Here are a few scans anyway as they are kind of fun! There is an amazing amount of rock history in these cards; what a Golden era for concert goers.

@Robot Man Bob thought you would like to see the Alfred E. Neuman riff!

RockPostcard1.thumb.jpg.3789ac2db74153dc969b0bf9610bc373.jpgRockPostcard2.thumb.jpg.4b4ca179a2ddbd951600a05d6755cf3b.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

1 hour ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I looked through all those postcards this morning and no sign of an HP Lovecraft! Too bad as I must have over fifty different cards. These were all found left at a house my wife's Dad bought in the Sunset district in the seventies; left behind by someone who must have picked them up in the record stores of the day as none of them have a stamp. Here are a few scans anyway as they are kind of fun! There is an amazing amount of rock history in these cards; what a Golden era for concert goers.

RockPostcard1.thumb.jpg.3789ac2db74153dc969b0bf9610bc373.jpgRockPostcard2.thumb.jpg.4b4ca179a2ddbd951600a05d6755cf3b.jpg

It's hard to see in the far right picture but one of the venues listed for purchasing tickets was a store called Middle Earth at 852 Stanyan close to Haight. Must have been an old head or record shop.

6 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow, what a score and treasure trove of rock history! I have a large box full myself. Mostly LA and SF venues. Some are now quite valuable. 

I have the Alfred E Neuman one. Just one more great piece of unusual Neumania. 

Speaking of the band HP Lovecraft. I dug into my vast vinyl collection. I actually have an original copy of their only album. They were only together from 1967-1969. Formed in Chicago but quickly moved to the Bay Area. 

Haven’t heard it in probably 40 years. Played it today. Kind of a downer. Perfect if you love the darkness of this author. 

99162713-22D4-4A00-B40C-8196EB1F7CE3.jpeg

654FA631-382C-4F83-89E4-E73598CE276F.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sarg said:

I can't believe they replaced Hannes Bok's superb interior illustration with those ridiculous Deep Ones

Yeah I'm having trouble tracking down who did the interior art for the Canadian version, and for that matter why they wouldn't have kept the Bok illustrations... naive guess is that it involved :flipbait:

The cover art was done by Edmond Good and seems more true to Bok's interpretation.