• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Am Providence: The H.P. Lovecraft Thread
3 3

270 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, OtherEric said:

Jumping past my copy of the July 1941 Weird Tales, since @jimjum12just posted his nice copy.  Here's the October 1941 Famous Fantastic Mysteries, with a reprint of "The Colour Out of Space", which at least gets equal billing on the cover even if the gorgeous Finlay art is for the other story.

FFM_1941_10.jpg

Lovecraft's stories tended to not have loads of naked women in them like this cover illustration. Lovecraft in fact considered this kind of thing embarrassing.

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

From 1945, the Best Supernatural Stories of H. P. Lovecraft.  My copy is a 1st print.  Since we've already discussed this book in this thread, I just want to call attention to the image on the spine... it looks to me like the specter is meant to look like HPL, specifically based on the "eyes in shadow" version of the picture @RedFuryposted to start this thread:

Best Supernatural Stories of HPL.jpg

Best Supernatural Stories of HPL_detail.jpg

Sure does! Nice Homage.Is there an artist credit?

August 1946 Amazing Stories, with the first publication of "Bothon" by Henry S. Whitehead, very shortly before its inclusion in "West India Lights" from Arkham House.  Most sources seem to actually place its first publication in the Arkham House volume, but Arkham House ads in Weird Tales show that the Amazing Stories was released earlier.  It's unclear exactly how much Lovecraft had to do with the story.  It seems that he may have been involved in the early stages of creating it rather than his more normal pattern of modifying a completed story.  It's also quite likely August Derleth was involved with the story as it finally appeared, as Whitehead and Lovecraft had both been dead several years before the story was finally printed.

Amazing_Stories_1946_08.jpg

2 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

After Lovecraft passed away did his estate receive royalties for reprinting his work? Things were fairly shady in the publishing industry back then so it makes me wonder.

Did he even have any heirs... it's been some time since I read his Bio ... by De Kamp ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

44 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Did he even have any heirs... it's been some time since I read his Bio ... by De Kamp ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

His aunt inherited what he had, she died in 1941.  Her heirs gave Arkham House the right to reprint Lovecraft's stories, but beyond that details are fuzzy and complicated.  Nothing was apparently renewed so everything is now in the public domain pretty much unambiguously. 

As regards the reprint @50YrsCollctngCmcsasked about, I have little doubt Avon paid a (small) fee for the reprint rights.  The copyright statement in the issue shows it was copyright 1928 by Popular Fiction Publishing Company (Weird Tales) and copyright 1939 by Derleth and Wanderi (Arkham House).  No clue if Arkham House gave any of the fee to the actual heirs.

4 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Lovecraft's aunt, Annie Phillips Gamwell, was his sole heir.  Barlow was the executor of his literary estate.  Derleth later claimed all rights to Lovecraft's work, but it's unclear how he acquired them and it all may have been a bluff.  Lovecraft's aunt died in 1941 and Barlow committed suicide in 1951, so after that point I don't know if there was anyone left to contest Derleth's claim.

You posted while I was still typing.  I'm pretty sure Derleth made his claim stick by having nobody who particularly cared to fight, and by the time Derleth passed without properly renewing anything there would only be at most 6 stories that would possibly be not in the public domain... The Transition of Juan Romero, Old Bugs, and 4 juvenalia. 

Great reason to remember Justice is Blind unless you help open her eyes! Anyway, I'm sure the amounts involved here were fairly small; the long game would have been renewals paying off in a movie deal decades down the line. But no one really saw that coming and only the ongoing publishers struck it big there. Although the alternate universe where Weird Tales remained a force and Lovecraft's tales became Hollywood blockbusters is fun to contemplate.

Oh and it sort of happened with Tarzan and associated properties. ERB was smart enough to incorporate and only last month I was talking to reps from ERB Inc. out here at a local show.