• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Bird said:

so for lower value, pre-1975 books, slabbing choices are now $33 for economy or $75 for standard. Big difference in price and TAT there.

and without the 10% discount on premium memberships, a modern now goes from $18 discounted from $20 to $22.

the point of those 2 changes is probably a decrease in books "on the bubble" being sent in

It's not going to deter novices. They have no idea what they're doing anyway getting their 7.0 moderns graded lol 

It's just going to soak the folks that don't know when something is worth being graded. I doubt this slows down the volume CGC is handling even 1%

A lot of changes, too. 

Reholders are now $20 for reg, $50 for high value. 

Fast track gets a 50% increase ($15 up from $10)

Discounts are no longer offered at Premium Tier - only Elite. By my math, if you do 70 or more Modern books a year, it's worth it to get the Elite now vs. the Premium. 

Prescreen rejects are $8 up from $5 (60% increase). 

The one saving grace for me is that your CURRENT benefits won't change until your membership renews. Mine just renewed in February so at least I get the discount for a little longer 

Edited by Rhymenoceros

3 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

As long as the online order was placed prior to 4/28 and received by 5/22 (I think) you should be good. 

The way I'm reading it, your current membership perks don't expire until your renewal date:

"Important Reminder: CGC memberships purchased prior to April 28, 2021, will continue to have the current membership benefits until their renewal/expiration date."

2 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

The way I'm reading it, your current membership perks don't expire until your renewal date:

"Important Reminder: CGC memberships purchased prior to April 28, 2021, will continue to have the current membership benefits until their renewal/expiration date."

but that is the discount, not new fees, no?

Just now, the blob said:

that is ridiculous. $8 to reject a book? WTF? Isn't it easy money for them to look at 20 books and decide 15 of them aren't 9.8s? 

Yes! This will really be something to watch if they start tightening their standards for 9.8s as has been rumored. You're going to have to hit on way more books to make it worth it now

Just now, the blob said:

that is ridiculous. $8 to reject a book? WTF? Isn't it easy money for them to look at 20 books and decide 15 of them aren't 9.8s? 

Probably some formula based on how long it takes to prescreen and their overhead costs. And supposedly they are paying their graders more.... So we are undoubtedly paying for that and plays into the formula too.   

"In this fast-growing and highly competitive industry, CGC is paying the most competitive salaries to attract the best talent."

Just now, sagekilz said:

I'll just say I'm glad I'm not in the card grading aspect of all this.  

$9 to $15 with a 50 card minimum for bulk submissions.  Yikes.

Even the 25 book minimum for CGC is way too high for me. My LCS lets me submit 5 books at a time for pre-screening through their dealer partnership membership... if it weren't for that I'd only be submitting the top 1% of my books like before but now I chance on moderns from time to time.

5 minutes ago, the blob said:

It was $5 to reject a book before so it’s not like it was $0 to $8 but still annoying. 

Surprised nobody has mentioned the increase in shipping fees too, i guess unless you are sending in 25 books at a time. Bet the Handling Fee just increased to $20 too!

So $8 to pre-screen now. Still incredibly long wait times. Still no grader notes when my books come back a 9.4. I always knew that they never cared about people who submit less than 25 books a year, but this puts it over the top...