• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

You and everyone else. I just shipped out 50 books yesterday.

I have about 30 books ready to go but have identified about 50 more I was going to spread out and stagger submissions. May just do a 80-100 book submission this week. 

Just now, WoWitHurts said:

And possibly drive people to try CBCS.

CBCS has already pulled me in a few times with their ability to prescreen a shipment of books at different grades and signature authentication... that last one is a good opportunity for arbitrage btw. With CGC's yellow labels the prices of raw autographed books are through the floor. I've gotten autographed keys under the market rate of plain raw copies from Ebay because of this. Shouldn't even share that tip :gossip:

11 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

The new services and fees apply to all CGC Online Submission Forms completed as of April 28, 2021. Submission forms completed before April 28, 2021, must be delivered to CGC’s facility by May 28, 2021, to qualify for the old pricing.

But does the "old pricing" also include return shipping costs as those will be going up? For example, if I paid $90 for FedEx overnight return shipping on a submission today but it obviously won't get back to me  by April 28th, will I be charged the new $150 shipping cost down the line?

14 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

A lot of changes, too. 

Reholders are now $20 for reg, $50 for high value. 

Fast track gets a 50% increase ($15 up from $10)

Discounts are no longer offered at Premium Tier - only Elite. By my math, if you do 70 or more Modern books a year, it's worth it to get the Elite now vs. the Premium. 

Prescreen rejects are $8 up from $5 (60% increase). 

The one saving grace for me is that your CURRENT benefits won't change until your membership renews. Mine just renewed in February so at least I get the discount for a little longer 

If I upgrade to Elite today, will I theoretically get the 15% discount until April 2022?

2 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I have about 30 books ready to go but have identified about 50 more I was going to spread out and stagger submissions. May just do a 80-100 book submission this week. 

I had more than 50 ready to go, but since you can put 25/invoice I group them in batches of 25. I'll be busy this weekend — I have boxes to go through to decide the best way to submit — and probably ship out 50-100 more by the deadline.

1 minute ago, comixry said:

But does the "old pricing" also include return shipping costs as those will be going up? For example, if I paid $90 for FedEx overnight return shipping on a submission today but it obviously won't get back to me  by April 28th, will I be charged the new $150 shipping cost down the line?

Not being coy but I haven't a clue.  CGC can never word anything coherently nor can they easily explain something without open-ended statements. 

mine renews next month, at least I'll get the $150 credit, but

it says auto renew will charge me $130 saving $20, it's a small thing but I wonder if that will change....

10 minutes ago, rexinnih said:

Time to join the rush and get some submissions in before the 28th. 

Why the rush?  The changes don’t do into effect until your membership is up- correct? If that is the case I see a big rush in people signing up for memberships before the 28th.  I’ve not subbed in over a year so I let my membership lapse but this has me considering signing up for a year and getting the short box of definitely grade books out of the house.  

Edited by 1Cool

7 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

CBCS has already pulled me in a few times with their ability to prescreen a shipment of books at different grades and signature authentication... that last one is a good opportunity for arbitrage btw. With CGC's yellow labels the prices of raw autographed books are through the floor. I've gotten autographed keys under the market rate of plain raw copies from Ebay because of this. Shouldn't even share that tip :gossip:

This SS4 signed by Stan has been unsold for a while now despite being priced below what blue label SS4's have been going for.  Granted, that autograph looks more like someone smeared paint on it.  Shame to have such an ugly sig on an otherwise beautiful book and to now be unable to sell it.

Silver Surfer #4 (Marvel - 2/1969) CGC 8.5 VF+ OW/W Classic Thor / Silver Surfer | eBay

11 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

It was $5 to reject a book before so it’s not like it was $0 to $8 but still annoying. 

wasn't it $3 not that long ago? If they rejected it and actually gave it a grade that would be something, you could at least say "9.6" or whatever

3 minutes ago, sagekilz said:

Not being coy but I haven't a clue.  CGC can never word anything coherently nor can they easily explain something without open-ended statements. 

Well, I have been back-charged before (not sure if that's the correct word) for a submission's return shipment cost that I had already paid for/received back months prior. It was added to a subsequent submission invoice. They say FedEx had raised the rate between the time they received my order and shipping them back out to me. It was only few bucks then, but still...