• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, the blob said:

wasn't it $3 not that long ago? If they rejected it and actually gave it a grade that would be something, you could at least say "9.6" or whatever

Not sure. It’s been $5 for as long as I remember but it very well could have been $3 at one point. 

What has changed with the Screening service for comics and magazines?

Screening is no longer available for Modern tier comics and/or magazines. All other comic/magazine tiers can be submitted for Screening with the fee still being 1% of the fair market value (FMV) with a new minimum fee of $15.

Just now, ExNihilo said:

As I understood it, the submissions have to be dated prior to the 28th, no matter what tier you are.  Old membership privileges are only grandfathered in, not the price of submissions.

this appears correct to me. Prices will increase for everyone regardless of time of membership, but discount etc will stay until renewal.

they are taking a month or so to open boxes, sending stuff out to squeak in by 4/28 (or 5/28 or whatever date it is) seems a gamble

Well, I guess I’m fortunate that I just put a box of re-holders and 4 Moderns for grading in the mail yesterday. 

However, between the cost to ship several slabs to CGC’s PO box and the increase in re-holdering fees I think from this point on if I receive a slab that’s damaged I’m just going to return it for a refund. Nothing I buy is that rare or expensive to justify the cost. 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Screening is no longer available for Modern tier comics and/or magazines. All other comic/magazine tiers can be submitted for Screening with the fee still being 1% of the fair market value (FMV) with a new minimum fee of $15.

That part's particularly disappointing even beyond increased fees for screening. For some of those high grade but low value comics I was on the fence about in my personal collection that I would eventually like to get slabbed, the pre-screen option was definitely a contributing factor.

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is for CCS services. I originally read this as eliminating pre-screen on grading. 

1 minute ago, BS Damutantman said:

Wish they had more good to mix in with the bad. Right now it's hard for me to see any real improvements for members. Hopefully all this extra money actually will decrease turn-around times, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I never had enough books to prescreen, (and the difference between screening and prescreening is unknown to me and that means the impact is lost on me as well right now) but I think it means less books.

I do value sometimes, I do not mind waiting (never done fast track) so I kinda like the combination value/economy on first glance but the price is essentially the same for my premium membership with the loss of discount.

I wonder if they expect more elite memberships and the money projected from that increased revenue is covering some of the decreased submissions this may lead to? 

1 minute ago, L.E. Gill said:

That part's particularly disappointing even beyond increased fees for screening. For some of those high grade but low value comics I was on the fence about in my personal collection that I would eventually like to get slabbed, the pre-screen option was definitely a contributing factor.

Pre screen is still an option. What was posted only pertains to pressing. 

2 minutes ago, L.E. Gill said:

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:
8 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

This is for CCS services. I originally read this as eliminating pre-screen on grading. 

That is good news then :foryou: 

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

Pre screen is still an option. What was posted only pertains to pressing. 

Thank you for the info! That makes a lot more sense to me. 1975+ is such a huge range to eliminate pre-screens on.

1 minute ago, Lady Death Footstool said:

If I upgrade to elite from premium will it add a year to my expiration date or just from the upgrade date? Still have 6 months on my premium and need to figure out if it's worth it to upgrade before the 28th.

I doubt your renewal date changes if you change to elite.  I went from the basic to premium awhile ago and I don’t think my renewal date changed.