• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well, CGC is raising prices for their services, and...
14 14

553 posts in this topic

I don't think the update mentions but

will there still be a discount for autorenew of membership?

Mine renews end of May, I'm still going premioum, which is $150 but with auto renew they only charge $130 essentially giving an extra $20 to the credit

Keep raising prices until submissions drop enough to get those TAK times down. 

Or keep raising prices until it generates the cashflow to hire more people. 

I've been sitting on a submission pile and I'm not sending it until I see turnaround times improve.

(of course if it gets all the way to Baltimore time, I'll just sub them at the show for onsite grading)

12 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

However, between the cost to ship several slabs to CGC’s PO box and the increase in re-holdering fees I think from this point on if I receive a slab that’s damaged I’m just going to return it for a refund. Nothing I buy is that rare or expensive to justify the cost. 

Case by case basis for me.  If you buy a book and it gets damaged in shipment and the dealer agrees to cover reholdering fees, then no skin off my bones.  If it's a book in an old slab and my OCD simply wants a new slab to match the rest of my books, then I can wait.

6 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

This is for CCS services. I originally read this as eliminating pre-screen on grading. 

I don't screen or prescreen or use ccs, so sorry if I confused anyone with my cut-and-pastes about screening/pre-screening.

I don't see anywhere where it is for ccs only but assume that is me. 

It is unfortunate that there are already about 4 places you have to go to learn all the changes. (first link in OP, shipping link, price list link, FAQ link) And then they are not clear still. Is that clear?

Most businesses cover increased production cost from hiring new people or more buildings with the increased product they sell when they expand.  Are they saying the new people will be so high paid that all the addition subs they get out the door will not bring in enough cash?  I don’t blame them for raising prices if demand is so high but it sounds like they are giving weak reasons.

Edited by 1Cool

16 minutes ago, Bird said:

this appears correct to me. Prices will increase for everyone regardless of time of membership, but discount etc will stay until renewal.

they are taking a month or so to open boxes, sending stuff out to squeak in by 4/28 (or 5/28 or whatever date it is) seems a gamble

I wonder if they use the old pricing if they sign for the box before 5/28 but don't open it. It would seem unfair to charge them new rates because they didn't open it in time.

6 minutes ago, PickleRick1216 said:
24 minutes ago, Bird said:

this appears correct to me. Prices will increase for everyone regardless of time of membership, but discount etc will stay until renewal.

they are taking a month or so to open boxes, sending stuff out to squeak in by 4/28 (or 5/28 or whatever date it is) seems a gamble

I wonder if they use the old pricing if they sign for the box before 5/28 but don't open it. It would seem unfair to charge them new rates because they didn't open it in time.

It says delivered to the facility, not received (actually processed).

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

I don't screen or prescreen or use ccs, so sorry if I confused anyone with my cut-and-pastes about screening/pre-screening.

I don't see anywhere where it is for ccs only but assume that is me. 

It is unfortunate that there are already about 4 places you have to go to learn all the changes. (first link in OP, shipping link, price list link, FAQ link) And then they are not clear still. Is that clear?

It is confusing. Screening is a CCS service they offer. The Pre-Screen for grading is included on the new fee chart. 

16 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't think the update mentions but

will there still be a discount for autorenew of membership?

Mine renews end of May, I'm still going premioum, which is $150 but with auto renew they only charge $130 essentially giving an extra $20 to the credit

I know I'm talking to myself here but maybe it'll help someone

I have good news

The grace period for when the new affect of prices goes into effect is a month from April 28th

So the rep said mine is set to auto renew may 25th which should put me before the May 28th deadline and I will get the current premium benefits

As the minimum price goes up for the underlying book to break even after grading the question is what will it do to the ungraded market?  Seems to me a whole lot of previously sellable books are suddenly not going to be in demand. No?

Edited by ThothAmon

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It says delivered to the facility, not received (actually processed).

This seems to go hand in hand with the new package scan in service IT is trying to implement so they can at least identify which packages are delivered to the facility by the 28th.

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

It is confusing. Screening is a CCS service they offer. The Pre-Screen for grading is included on the new fee chart. 

Thanks.

All of these forms and titles say cgc changes but it also sprinkles in ccs changes as well. And that FAQ bounces back and forth between the CGC and CCS. I never used ccs so (shrug)