• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spotting a fake CGC case based on inconsistency - modern books
1 1

66 posts in this topic

I have just started collecting and am buying raw and slabbed.  My most recent slab is a SIKTC #11 one per store virgin signed by Dell’Edera and Tynion.  The Cgc holographic silver sticker has a raised lip around it (I can feel the edges when running finger over) suggesting it is a sticker rather than embedded beneath the case shell and there is slight movement of the inner case and book when I flip the slab.  I have a total of 10 slabs and two are the same yet the other 8 have the hologram clearly inside (smooth across the plastic because the sticker is embedded) and there is zero movement of the book.  This SIKTC also has 4 spine ticks which don’t break colour and are individually negligible but noticeable when looking close up suggesting the grade can’t be right (it’s a 9.8).  Have had a look at the forums briefly and Cgc website but anyone able to help if this is a problem or it’s just how some slabs are.  Both of the 2 barcodes fully check out on the registers and their timing makes sense based on release dates and Cgc turn around times.  Photos  of SIKTC attached.  Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

9.8 NEAR MINT/MINT (NM/MT):
Nearly perfect in every way with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Only subtle bindery or printing defects are allowed. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and minimal fading. Corners are cut square and sharp. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust. Paper is white, supple and fresh. Only the slightest interior tears are allowed.

40 minutes ago, LoST Ups said:

Old vs new. Same with the sticker on the top of the slab iirc.

And before you metion it, the grades on the old slabs is much lighter than the current slabs.

So new ones are stickers on the outside of the case?  They are both 2020.  So 2019 and earlier sticker was inside.

2 minutes ago, Never2old2brick said:

Not quite.  They are borderline but I don’t see white just a crisp crease and faded colouring.

That tells me it shouldn't be a 9.8, but who knows these days.  So I'm a bit alarmed...

1 hour ago, Never2old2brick said:

I have just started collecting and am buying raw and slabbed.  My most recent slab is a SIKTC #11 one per store virgin signed by Dell’Edera and Tynion.  The Cgc holographic silver sticker has a raised lip around it (I can feel the edges when running finger over) suggesting it is a sticker rather than embedded beneath the case shell and there is slight movement of the inner case and book when I flip the slab.  I have a total of 10 slabs and two are the same yet the other 8 have the hologram clearly inside (smooth across the plastic because the sticker is embedded) and there is zero movement of the book.  This SIKTC also has 4 spine ticks which don’t break colour and are individually negligible but noticeable when looking close up suggesting the grade can’t be right (it’s a 9.8).  Have had a look at the forums briefly and Cgc website but anyone able to help if this is a problem or it’s just how some slabs are.  Both of the 2 barcodes fully check out on the registers and their timing makes sense based on release dates and Cgc turn around times.  Photos  of SIKTC attached.  Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's real.  Don't worry about it. 

3 hours ago, LoST Ups said:

Why do you say this? A 9.8 has to have some kind of damage.

Some damage yes.  But my understanding is that a single crease with no colour break and for a short distance (like 2mm) is negligible individually so ok for a 9.8.  But to have four of them to me at least would warrant a lower grade as it’s the cumulative impact tag matters.

1 hour ago, LoST Ups said:

The old slabs had the sticker and hologram on the outside.

New cases started in 2016.

https://the-comic-book-forum.boards.net/thread/161/case-discussion-thread-sequential-examples

Thanks but I think this is different.  I have Seven moderns slabbed in 2019 or earlier.  Just talking about the hologram it is inside the case.  There is no ridge when I run my finger across them.  Now my 2 2020 books it is a sticker on the outside of the case because I can feel the edges.  

Go eBay and see if there’s other somewhat older comics that seem to have a similar sticker situations

good luck

Edited by revat