• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genamint- Is this a game changer?

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone know more about this company?  It was a small, four person company that claims it has developed an AI technology that scans a card and can grade it instantly, far faster than the most experienced human grader.

Today it was bought by Collectors Universe.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Does anyone know more about this company?  It was a small, four person company that claims it has developed an AI technology that scans a card and can grade it instantly, far faster than the most experienced human grader.

Today it was bought by Collectors Universe.

Yes, it is a game changer. AI was always the future of grading... I know some people — like the guys from Gem Mint middleman service — live under a rock and were absolutely sure PSA would never go the AI route, but anyone with a functioning business-brain could see this from a mile away. Another L for PSA middlemen lol. Anyway...

Hopefully CGC can make moves to further involve their AI that they’ve mentioned previously, because they’re going to need it to keep up now. I’m hopeful they (CGC) have had something ready to deploy but have kept it at bay or haven’t fully utilized it to maximum capacity, but that could just be me being a CGC homer and rooting for “my guy” to counter punch. 

But when you couple this PSA bombshell of an announcement with the CGC price increase being announced the same day, there’s a lot of interesting things to consider for the future of grading TCG cards. 

Make no mistake, every grading company has been put on notice to adapt or die. I’m optimistic CGC has something very comparable to what PSA purchased in Genamint and can deploy it quickly to blast through the backlog and stay competitive. At least I am extremely hopeful they do because I want “my guy” to win this fight.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:29 PM, shadroch said:

It said that a pressed card would have stretched pixels that the tech could id every time.

This Mickey Mantle raw baseball card seems to have been pressed. Scanned by VSC80 but there is also a VSC 8000 paper document authenticator too: