• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alan Club
6 6

366 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Garystar said:

And first Loki, Suspense #29, £315!!!!!

I can imagine Alan shaking his head in wonder... 

I just can’t get my head around the Sinister Tales #23 price - it’s got a page missing! Do people buy just for the cover? 
What would an intact issue 84 sell for - TOS #39 reprinted again but not the cover? I’m guessing considerably less. 
9BAFCEE1-6F87-4C1B-BC4E-0F406845156F.thumb.jpeg.26c01c8928f049e392087c3012610139.jpeg

B3BBEF5C-FCA7-4FAB-B8B4-D10F593C6C0D.thumb.jpeg.eb28d8e0878d69d66aebf6a097af5fb0.jpeg

3 hours ago, Garystar said:

I just can’t get my head around the Sinister Tales #23 price - it’s got a page missing!

Maybe the buyer didn't know that Gary - it doesn't exactly jump out at you in the listing, does it? Putting the grade notes in the 'item specifics' box is an unwise move in my view - I can see some buyers expecting to see a missing page noted in the main description text.  What's the betting we see it relisted at some point....

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Maybe the buyer didn't know that

I wonder…….. it wasn’t obvious hidden in text. The picture with missing page starts at page three so you could think cover was page 1 and 2 and if you weren’t familiar with story it isn’t obvious reading that there were two previous pages. That said I can’t imagine someone paying that much not realising what they were bidding on. 
Perhaps that’s the going rate for an incomplete copy now adays and it’s  only old-timers like me who can remember when you couldn’t give Alan’s away that can’t comprehend prices. 

I wonder…….. it wasn’t obvious hidden in text. The picture with missing page starts at page three so you could think cover was page 1 and 2 and if you weren’t familiar with story it isn’t obvious reading that there were two previous pages. That said I can’t imagine someone paying that much not realising what they were bidding on. 

I can - people are desperate to jump on the bandwagon it seems, and some of them probably don't realise the page is missing given that it is a repackaged reprint. They might think that is how it came, who knows. 

Perhaps that’s the going rate for an incomplete copy now adays and it’s  only old-timers like me who can remember when you couldn’t give Alan’s away that can’t comprehend prices. 

You're not alone. I find it vaguely depressing really, the recent prices. I feel lately in a lot of my threads that the magic of the books I've researched is slowly being replaced by the lust for what they can achieve in the current, frenzied market place. 

On a personal level, if I'm honest, I'm getting a bit tired of seeing books that I sold relatively recently, and reasonably, going for insane prices a few short years later. I can understand why an Alan that reprints AF15 might attract a premium. But a thousand pounds? It's a reprint. It's like there are no safe havens in the hobby anymore, no books left that you can research and collect quietly. Everything has to be worth a million. 

15 minutes ago, GermanFan said:

Seems like the days UK and Australian vintage 50s and 60s US reprints available for a song are over. 

Yes, completely.

Don't get me wrong, it's part of the hobby, books going up and down in value. And I don't want to sound all sour grapey, but I bought this for £15 just over ten years ago and sold it for a modest premium a few years later:

654364000_alanclass2.thumb.JPG.839347883e7ebb29ff03bd937c52ed9a.JPG 774640523_alanclass.thumb.JPG.49e87a7c405651b99d84e0fef47b21d2.JPG

The same with my Out of This World #17

As an experienced comic collector, my thinking was that they would never go significantly higher as they were reprints and, well, UK reprints have never gone that mad have they. And if they were going to, wouldn't they have by 2015 with all the interest, films etc?

We all make mistakes, and we all sell things that years later we can't fathom what possessed us to do so. When they go mad like they have, I can't help but feel a little cheated. That's life though, isn't it. 

29 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

We all make mistakes, and we all sell things that years later we can't fathom what possessed us to do so. When they go mad like they have, I can't help but feel a little cheated.

I don’t think there’s anything depressing about selling and then prices rocketing afterwards provided you got a fair price at the time. I’m sure most of us could list numerous comics we have sold which are now worth 10, 100 times more. 
I’m currently selling my comics, partially because I have so many and can’t see the wood for the trees - I’d like to get down to about 5,000 which I really appreciate, rather than the 20,000 I have now for the sake of collecting. 
In my mind comics like WWBN 32 are still 20p comics which is why I couldn’t resist selling mine for current prices and using that money to buy Marvelmania V2 kit which I will appreciate 
I’ll probably sell my Alan’s just because of the prices they now fetch when in my mind they are all worth £2 tops. 

8 minutes ago, Garystar said:

I don’t think there’s anything depressing about selling and then prices rocketing afterwards provided you got a fair price at the time.

It's the 'illogical' ones that rankle - the ones that go mad beyond reason, leaving you thinking that you should have known somehow that they would, being a 'comic expert' and all. Still, swings and roundabouts isn't it. 

Any Charltons in the 15K offload pile? They're definitely still £2 if so... :wink:

21 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Any Charltons in the 15K offload pile? They're definitely still £2 if so...

No all Marvel. Others went years ago although I don’t think I’ve ever owned any Charltons - however looking back at some of their romance comic psychedelic covers I might have missed out on some nice stuff. 

Edited by Garystar

41 minutes ago, Garystar said:

No all Marvel.

I remember. Good luck with the Alans, Gary. Hope you get more than a few Alans for them! :wishluck:

When I started collecting Alan’s last year thought would be an achievable completist target at a moderate minimal cost with more thrill of the hunt than paying through the nose. Proving a bit more expensive than I thought.

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I can understand why an Alan that reprints AF15 might attract a premium. But a thousand pounds? It's a reprint.

So why is Out Of This World AF 15 fetching hundreds whilst MWOM #1 which also reprints AF 15 (and FF#1 and Hulk #1) and has a Marvel cover only going for £30ish? As you say it’s illogical. 

So why is Out Of This World AF 15 fetching hundreds whilst MWOM #1 which also reprints AF 15 (and FF#1 and Hulk #1) and has a Marvel cover only going for £30ish? As you say it’s illogical. 

Because I sold two copies of it for relative pennies?

See also ASM Dell Otto #667 - sold by me for £500, now on ebay for thirty one grand :p

1 hour ago, mikeyc67 said:

When I started collecting Alan’s last year thought would be an achievable completist target at a moderate minimal cost with more thrill of the hunt than paying through the nose. Proving a bit more expensive than I thought.

Do you think it was lockdown - all those blokes of a certain age at home Googling, reliving their youth? 

23 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Do you think it was lockdown - all those blokes of a certain age at home Googling, reliving their youth? 

Before I started collecting comics I was into Airfix little soldiers. I have been tempted recently to start collecting them and I did recently buy the gun emplacement playset out of nostalgia as I remember getting it one Christmas. It’s gone straight into loft but I kept looking at it in eBay and had to buy it.