• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ridiculous Pricing
2 2

44 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, allthingskryptonite said:

I checked eBay and the BIN price is consistent with what others are asking for this book. 

Anyone can have an asking price for any amount they want. The important question is whether it will sell at the given asking price. There have been discussions about ridiculous Ebay pricing before.

I checked Ebay and saw what you saw. One 4.0 was listed at $1,500 and another was listed for $1,300. So, he is asking $1,200 for a book that is two full grades below books that are being offered for $1,500 and $1,300. Based on these two asking prices, do you still believe asking for $1,200 for a 3.0 makes sense?

I find recent sold prices to be more relevant. The last two recent sales on Ebay were $900 for a 6.5 and a $350 for a 3.5. Both of these sales occurred toward the end of March.

Edited by Math Teacher

Sheesh, I must be doing things wrong with my slabs here in the forums.  I try to stay close to GPA averages (for the most part) and I don't sell often.  Maybe if I jack up the price by about 100%, people will notice.  :roflmao:

Hmmm.jpeg

i can play; i recently decided to put the silver dd run together in certified 9.0+ or better.   they are plentiful, and it has gone very fast, thanks to a bulk purchase of a huge chunk of the 59 books from a fave seller of mine.  i'm down to just a couple on the want list [plus an ann. 1], and oddly one of those is #57, a very modest book.   one finally went up this week on the 'bay in 9.0, and it's listed at @1,300 bucks!!!   i figured maybe they had a misplaced decimal, but it  sure hasn't been fixed yet.   lawd!!

8 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

of course i understand price run-ups, and maximizing profits.   that doesn't explain a $1,300 dd 57 in 9.0.

Maybe it's the LSU tax

6 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I checked Ebay and saw what you saw. One 4.0 was listed at $1,500 and another was listed for $1,300. So, he is asking $1,200 for a book that is two full grades below books that are being offered for $1,500 and $1,300. Based on these two asking prices, do you still believe asking for $1,200 for a 3.0 makes sense?

I saw a 2.5 priced at $1100 and 4.0 priced at $1300 and thought the price is consistent with what others are asking.

There's a 5.0 on ComicLink if you're looking for this book.

4 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

I saw a 2.5 priced at $1100 and 4.0 priced at $1300 and thought the price is consistent with what others are asking.

You're probably correct. I guess that I had no idea that ToS #50 is a hot book.

I already have a 5.0 #50 in my collection.

I am seeing a lot of marvel books actually being 'sold' for astronomical prices, which has happened just in the past several months. I have never seen the market this crazy..asked my comic retailer who has been selling back issues for past 55 years and he has not seen anything like this ever before either. Maybe it's pandemic fever attracting speculators who wouldn't normally invest in comics.I, personally, am trying to wait this fever out before I buy anymore back issues of Xmen (unless I find something reasonable which has been very difficult). I am afraid that all of this steep appreciation in comics values is just a bubble..it's gonna burst one day..like what happened with the housing market in 2008

Edited by Ed Hanes

16 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I find recent sold prices to be more relevant. The last two recent sales on Ebay were $900 for a 6.5 and a $350 for a 3.5. Both of these sales occurred toward the end of March.

I see an April 9th sale in 6.5 for $1279. This book is really on fire

On 4/23/2021 at 12:40 PM, allthingskryptonite said:

@allthingskryptonite, I now have evidence that you are correct. "@elite_comics11" just listed a ToS #50 CGC 3.0 for $1,150. Hmm.... That makes me wonder what my CGC 5.0 is now worth.

24 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

@allthingskryptonite, I now have evidence that you are correct. "@elite_comics11" just listed a ToS #50 CGC 3.0 for $1,150. Hmm.... That makes me wonder what my CGC 5.0 is now worth.

I too follow Elite on IG. And I think they price fairly.

My GoCollect subscription has expired so I can't lookup recent sales. There might be sales outside eBay that justifies this price. 

1 hour ago, allthingskryptonite said:

I too follow Elite on IG. And I think they price fairly.

My GoCollect subscription has expired so I can't lookup recent sales. There might be sales outside eBay that justifies this price.

I follow them also. I think their prices are slightly higher, but not outrageously so. I believe their prices are slightly higher because they charge a 7% commission when they help you sell your book. So, if you want to receive $1,000 for a book, the asking price would have to be around $1,075.

I can't dispute your claim anymore. Two sellers (Instagrailz and elite_comics11 have listed the same book for approximately the same price. So $1,200 (or so) must be the new FMV for Tos #50 CGC 3.0. I guess I forgot to factor in the movie buzz about the Mandarin's appearance in the Shang-Chi movie. I stand corrected.

This is what I can't get my head wrapped around. An 8.0 sold on April 17 for $2,299, a 6.0 sold on April 17 for $759, and a 4.0 sold on April 2 for $495. Instagrailz posted his ToS #50 CGC 3.0 sometime around April 22, give or take a day. I just can't believe that a 6.0 sold for $759, and five days later, the asking price for a 3.0 is $1,200. Haven't we known that the Mandarin was going to be in the Shang-Chi movie before last week?

On 4/23/2021 at 12:40 PM, allthingskryptonite said:

@allthingskryptonite, this isn't to be argumentative, just informational.

This is from GoCollect:

Tales of Suspense #50

This book is going to run you slightly more than the four above it on this list. But just wait until fall when the Shang Chi movie comes out and watch the value triple.

Tales of Suspense #50 features the first appearance of The Mandarin, who will actually show up in Shang Chi after faking us out in Iron Man 3. As an added bonus, it’s also a very early appearance of Iron Man and pre-dates both Black Widow and Hawkeye.

My opinion is a large enough player in Marvel villain lore that he could easily hang around past Shang Chi. If we get some longevity with the character the prices we see here in spring 2021 will look silly a couple years from now. Dig a little bit deeper if you have to, but this one should be worth the investment.

Recently Sold Prices

• CGC 7.5 – $1,275 (but is an outlier; something to monitor)
  • CGC 5.5 – $440
  • CGC 3.5 –  $350

Of course, any of the books above can be found slightly cheaper if you buy them raw.

https://blog.gocollect.com/top-five-silver-age-keys-you-can-actually-afford/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Latest+GoCollect+Posts+-+Comic+Collectors++Corner&utm_campaign=Blog+RSS%3A+Comics+Collector+11%2F2020

3 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

@allthingskryptonite, this isn't to be argumentative, just informational.

This is from GoCollect:

Tales of Suspense #50

This book is going to run you slightly more than the four above it on this list. But just wait until fall when the Shang Chi movie comes out and watch the value triple.

Tales of Suspense #50 features the first appearance of The Mandarin, who will actually show up in Shang Chi after faking us out in Iron Man 3. As an added bonus, it’s also a very early appearance of Iron Man and pre-dates both Black Widow and Hawkeye.

My opinion is a large enough player in Marvel villain lore that he could easily hang around past Shang Chi. If we get some longevity with the character the prices we see here in spring 2021 will look silly a couple years from now. Dig a little bit deeper if you have to, but this one should be worth the investment.

Recently Sold Prices

• CGC 7.5 – $1,275 (but is an outlier; something to monitor)
  • CGC 5.5 – $440
  • CGC 3.5 –  $350

Of course, any of the books above can be found slightly cheaper if you buy them raw.

https://blog.gocollect.com/top-five-silver-age-keys-you-can-actually-afford/?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Latest+GoCollect+Posts+-+Comic+Collectors++Corner&utm_campaign=Blog+RSS%3A+Comics+Collector+11%2F2020

By the way, did the Instagram copies sell at those prices? 

20 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I went through many of his posts, and I couldn't find it. Maybe I shamed him into taking it down. lol

Instagrailz or Elite?

I don't follow Instagrailz as most of their slabs are CBCS. I have noticed that Elite Comics gets strong prices for the books they list. So I was interested if their copy sold.