• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's in your "long term speculation" box?
5 5

222 posts in this topic

I'm always curious to see what people have that they might have to sit on for a year or three to maybe turn around. I personally like a lot of the Marvel Now stuff and have been picking that up for a while. Spider-Gwen's first solo book, Sam Alexander Nova's first solo, Silk's first solo, have been grabbing Miles' first solo since the first Spider-verse movie, I have so many copies and variants of Champions V2 #1... stuff like that. Is there anything that you think may be coming down the road in the MCU that you've been picking up for a while? Is anyone buying up DC while their books seem to be responding significantly less to the overall hot market? I've been picking at my Batman run here and there, I may regret not going more after those while the getting was good... 

Does anyone enjoy speculation? Hate it? I love the books and the stories and many of my favorite books are worthless(Spider-Man(1990) #75!, Osborn Journals) but the buy sell trade elements of the hobby also provide me with a ton of entertainment :cloud9:

5 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I'm always curious to see what people have that they might have to sit on for a year or three to maybe turn around. I personally like a lot of the Marvel Now stuff and have been picking that up for a while. Spider-Gwen's first solo book, Sam Alexander Nova's first solo, Silk's first solo, have been grabbing Miles' first solo since the first Spider-verse movie, I have so many copies and variants of Champions V2 #1... stuff like that. Is there anything that you think may be coming down the road in the MCU that you've been picking up for a while? Is anyone buying up DC while their books seem to be responding significantly less to the overall hot market? I've been picking at my Batman run here and there, I may regret not going more after those while the getting was good... 

Does anyone enjoy speculation? Hate it? I love the books and the stories and many of my favorite books are worthless(Spider-Man(1990) #75!, Osborn Journals) but the buy sell trade elements of the hobby also provide me with a ton of entertainment :cloud9:

I still think Spider-Man 75 is awesome. I like the Clone Saga in general but even though I hate Howard Mackie's writing, I thought Howard and Romita Jr. knocked it out of the park on that one.

I don't know about something worthless that'll one day hit pay dirt, but things I feel can get a big bump years down the road might be Secret Wars, Batman Beyond '99 mini, Totally Awesome Hulk, Dark Avengers, etc. I agree on the Marvel Point One and Champions books. I'm far less convinced about the Silk spec ever bearing fruit, or the New Agents of Atlas thing. Of course the way the market works now, if they made Spider-Man 3 today, that one Peter Parker Romita Jr. issue with Sandman and Venom teaming up would somehow become $50+ overnight...

1 hour ago, brentdevil said:

I still think Spider-Man 75 is awesome. I like the Clone Saga in general but even though I hate Howard Mackie's writing, I thought Howard and Romita Jr. knocked it out of the park on that one.

I don't know about something worthless that'll one day hit pay dirt, but things I feel can get a big bump years down the road might be Secret Wars, Batman Beyond '99 mini, Totally Awesome Hulk, Dark Avengers, etc. I agree on the Marvel Point One and Champions books. I'm far less convinced about the Silk spec ever bearing fruit, or the New Agents of Atlas thing. Of course the way the market works now, if they made Spider-Man 3 today, that one Peter Parker Romita Jr. issue with Sandman and Venom teaming up would somehow become $50+ overnight...

It's already bearing major fruit if you look at the prices of Silk keys. IMO at least. I have been picking up her first app around $100 copies and have 5 9.8 candidates. And her first solo story in Silk 1 2015 is cashing in right around $30 pretty consistently right now and I bought my copies way under cover price. Those books I picked up between $80-$120 would probably go for $225+ raw right now and if even one comes back 9.8 I've done well. Really think I'll get a few 9.8s out of them.

We'll see. I like a lot of the Spider-characters because we know Sony wants to develop stuff related to the Spider-Man license they have that doesn't feature Spider-Man himself. Venom has already been a hit. They're working on Morbius and Kraven movies, both confirmed(I can't stockpile ASM #15 but I do have 2 copies, one to sell, and I've been picking up any part of Kraven's Last Hunt I see at a good price... think there will be at least a small jump on those because IMO there aren't many good Kraven stories but we'll see). AFAIK there have been persistent rumors about Sony wanting to develop one or more properties around the women in the Spider-Man universe.... we've heard rumors about Black Cat, Madame Webb, Spider-Girl, Arana, Silver Sable, Jackpot of all characters... and Silk. The prevailing rumor on her right now is that there is an Amazon show about Silk in development. I certainly don't know if that's true but I think all of those first apps are great plays. My #194's are taking off like crazy right now, wish I could hold them a bit longer but trying to stretch for a major key soon so they must go go go lol 

2 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

It's already bearing major fruit if you look at the prices of Silk keys. IMO at least. I have been picking up her first app around $100 copies and have 5 9.8 candidates. And her first solo story in Silk 1 2015 is cashing in right around $30 pretty consistently right now and I bought my copies way under cover price. Those books I picked up between $80-$120 would probably go for $225+ raw right now and if even one comes back 9.8 I've done well. Really think I'll get a few 9.8s out of them.

We'll see. I like a lot of the Spider-characters because we know Sony wants to develop stuff related to the Spider-Man license they have that doesn't feature Spider-Man himself. Venom has already been a hit. They're working on Morbius and Kraven movies, both confirmed(I can't stockpile ASM #15 but I do have 2 copies, one to sell, and I've been picking up any part of Kraven's Last Hunt I see at a good price... think there will be at least a small jump on those because IMO there aren't many good Kraven stories but we'll see). AFAIK there have been persistent rumors about Sony wanting to develop one or more properties around the women in the Spider-Man universe.... we've heard rumors about Black Cat, Madame Webb, Spider-Girl, Arana, Silver Sable, Jackpot of all characters... and Silk. The prevailing rumor on her right now is that there is an Amazon show about Silk in development. I certainly don't know if that's true but I think all of those first apps are great plays. My #194's are taking off like crazy right now, wish I could hold them a bit longer but trying to stretch for a major key soon so they must go go go lol 

I meant the solo series or anything other than her first app. I can see her making an appearance in Spider-verse 2 or whatever, but I have time seeing her in a solo project. I have a REALLY hard time seeing a Madame Web or Kraven movie ever happening. I'm gutted Sony is insisting on that instead of making him the big bad of SM3- he's the last 'major' villain or Sinister Six member that hasn't been a main villain of a Spider-film. I have not seen ASM 265 or 194 jump at all lately (and I own both), but we'll see.

37 minutes ago, brentdevil said:

I meant the solo series or anything other than her first app. I can see her making an appearance in Spider-verse 2 or whatever, but I have time seeing her in a solo project. I have a REALLY hard time seeing a Madame Web or Kraven movie ever happening. I'm gutted Sony is insisting on that instead of making him the big bad of SM3- he's the last 'major' villain or Sinister Six member that hasn't been a main villain of a Spider-film. I have not seen ASM 265 or 194 jump at all lately (and I own both), but we'll see.

Silk has a long way to go before her first solo goes for anywhere near a high grade of Miles' first solo but $30 is pretty good. I have around 20 copies and around 10 that I'm going to send in for a pre-screen at the end of the month. IMO, pay attention to what Marvel is doing with these characters and their minis... they're trying to establish rogues for Miles, Silk, Spider-Gwen... I think it's for a reason. I like all of the villain 1st apps in those series. A bunch of copies of Miles Morales 10 ended up in a dollar bin near me(1st Ultimatum)... scooped em all. Just like the Falcon & Winter Soldier mini-series they did that was supposed to come out before the show... they use comics to preview and build hype for future media projects. Right now, they just resurrected a rogue to center in the Silk mini-series. Could be nothing but I grabbed my shop's couple copies of X-Force #221 in case Silk v. Kasha becomes a recurring thing.

And while I agree with you on Kraven the movie has been confirmed and I was equally ambivalent about a Venom solo film... 95% of Venom's solo comics are trash IMO so I wasn't excited about that and it looks to have the legs to probably get to at least a 3rd film. And if your #194 is high grade... check out the sold listings on Ebay. It's spotty but high grade raw copies are reaching $400-$700 or so. I think this is the beginning of what could be a meteoric rise. I am a big believer in Felicia and I love her current solo series... I don't think she's going to be Harley Quinn or anything but she could get a lot closer to Harley's popularity and #194 is going through the roof if there is ever a successful Black Cat-led project. I hope the Kraven thing doesn't mean he isn't in Spider-Man 3. He could be in Spider-Man 3 and that could establish him to have his own adventures under Sony AFTER SM3. With Pete's identity being known and him trying to stay low... it's really a perfect scenario to finally bring Kraven to the big screen opposite Spider-Man. Don't give up hope! I want Kraven in SM3 too. And not just so I can maybe sell my 1.8 for a couple hundred bucks more :D 

As for Madame Web... probably not the life-support bound version of the character. I think we get Julia Carpenter as Madame Web if that happens. I try to remind myself that the world of possibility is larger than my own imagination. I've said this a few times but I literally laughed when I heard Marvel was doing a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Couldn't pick a bigger loser of a Marvel property if you tried... and look what happened... still don't understand that lol 

Edited by BoogieWoogie

1 hour ago, Nazirite said:

Very interested to see what happens in Ms.Marvel. 

Some good stuff in here. I've also got my eye on Inhumans possibly appearing in Ms. Marvel. IMO this is going to be a big show for Marvel and Fiege. Has Marvel pushed ANY of their new heroes - outside of Miles Morales - as hard as they have Kamala Khan? I was a little late to the party on her but I recently picked up her first app for $175... don't think it's going to get much lower than that going forward... and my LCS has 2 copies of her first solo that I'm thinking about. Besides that I again like the new villains in the Ms Marvel series. Stormbringer. Red Dagger. Monopoly. Her buddy Amulet... think people have hardly scratched the surface on Kamala and I assume the books are fairly low print run? Might be wrong about that but yeah Inhumans are for sure coming back around. Only question is whether it'll be opposite Ms. Marvel, an inhuman herself, or in a later project.

One more ultra-longshot that I like whenever I see it at a reasonable price... Amazing Spider-Man #700.

Will the death of Peter Parker ever be adapted? Odds are that it won't be but it could be an interesting way for Marvel and Sony to resolve whenever they come to an end of their licensing sharing agreement with Spider-Man. Why not just kill him off in the MCU and reboot him under Sony once Sony feels like they've rung all the money they can out of their MCU partnership? And hell maybe they let Marvel use Superior Spider-Man for a while to cross-promote "Spider-Man" and maybe give their own reboot a small boost?

I like this one especially because Amazing Spider-Man #700 is a big Spider-Man key and IMO one of the greatest covers in the whole run and has speculative value totally outside of Marvel's media properties as a key ASM issue. Think it goes up either way but if Marvel has to kill off Tom Holland and return the rights to Sony in a few years it could go boom hm

Edited by BoogieWoogie

6 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

One more ultra-longshot that I like whenever I see it at a reasonable price... Amazing Spider-Man #700.

Will the death of Peter Parker ever be adapted? Odds are that it won't be but it could be an interesting way for Marvel and Sony to resolve whenever they come to an end of their licensing sharing agreement with Spider-Man. Why not just kill him off in the MCU and reboot him under Sony once Sony feels like they've rung all the money they can out of their MCU partnership? And hell maybe they let Marvel use Superior Spider-Man for a while to cross-promote "Spider-Man" and maybe give their own reboot a small boost?

I like this one especially because Amazing Spider-Man #700 is a big Spider-Man key and IMO one of the greatest covers in the whole run and has speculative value totally outside of Marvel's media properties as a key ASM issue. Think it goes up either way but if Marvel has to kill off Tom Holland and return the rights to Sony in a few years it could go boom hm

I agree and get the newsstand.  

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Saga 1. Just wait till HBO makes a show

It already feels expensive for a book with not current buzz though  I just remember one shop had dozens of unsold #1s. I scooped them up to the extent I could. Of course, plenty of books books were once that. Speaking of staples, anything maybe happening with rat queens?

14 minutes ago, the blob said:

It already feels expensive for a book with not current buzz though  I just remember one shop had dozens of unsold #1s. I scooped them up to the extent I could. Of course, plenty of books books were once that. Speaking of staples, anything maybe happening with rat queens?

400-500 for a 9.8 is cheap, my friend.