• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's in your "long term speculation" box?
5 5

222 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

400-500 for a 9.8 is cheap, my friend. 

The raws approaching $300 seem nonsensical. That shouldn't be an easy 9.8 with the white cover and the spine corners got dinged. I owned 30+ copies and I didn't feel like I could call any better than 9 4

32 minutes ago, the blob said:

The raws approaching $300 seem nonsensical. That shouldn't be an easy 9.8 with the white cover and the spine corners got dinged. I owned 30+ copies and I didn't feel like I could call any better than 9 4

The corners all have bindery tears, which CGC doesn’t knock off for. That white cover is a perfect book to press out to a 9.8, too. I’ve had quite a few that had issues that all pressed out to a 9.8. Any time I can find a raw for cheap enough I’ll snatch it up and have it pressed. 

29 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

The corners all have bindery tears, which CGC doesn’t knock off for. That white cover is a perfect book to press out to a 9.8, too. I’ve had quite a few that had issues that all pressed out to a 9.8. Any time I can find a raw for cheap enough I’ll snatch it up and have it pressed. 

Yeah, I can't get over how cgc ignores bindery tears. Cgc is tighter than "old school" in many ways, but not that, those would all be 9.2s in the 90s

strange academy #1

war of realms new agents of atlas #1

fear 11, 1st app of Jennifer kale

devil dinosaur #1, 9.8s only

far sector #1

werewolf by night #1 2020, 1st app of jake

star wars #21 2016, 1st app of scar squadron (bad batch?) 

doctor aphra #3 2017, 1st app of Magna Tolvan (aphra's girlfriend) 

miles morales spiderman #6, 1st app of starling

naomi #1

captain america #253, 1st union jack, high grade

only listed books that are 1-2 years old OR can still be found for decently cheap price

Edited by williamblood

Here's a low-risk, low-reward one... Amazing Spider-Man #329, first tri-sentinel. There is going to be a LOT of X-content(:censored:) across the films, Disney+, Hulu... we'll definitely get sentinels but will we get tri-sentinels? And will anyone care about their first app if we do?

As a bonus this is also the first time we get Spider-Man's Captain Universe outfit, which is bound to reappear in the video games at least and video games have moved the market before... hm

I picked up a speculators collection a few weeks ago. 

Here are some of the books he had multiples of (more than 20 copies)

Undiscovered Country 1

Brigade 1 Image series

Deathmate Black (haven't we all speculated on this book at one time or another)

Stormwatch 1

32 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I picked up a speculators collection a few weeks ago. 

Here are some of the books he had multiples of (more than 20 copies)

Undiscovered Country 1

Brigade 1 Image series

Deathmate Black (haven't we all speculated on this book at one time or another)

Stormwatch 1

I get a kick out of going through collections like this. Funny seeing where their head was at during a point in time.

7 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I get a kick out of going through collections like this. Funny seeing where their head was at during a point in time.

he's been a recent buyer. There are other things he had 2-3 of. but he really brought into these big time. I think at least 50 copies of each of those books.

One book that I brought in on was Batman and red robin 19. I probably have about 15-20 copies in various boxes.

30 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

he's been a recent buyer. There are other things he had 2-3 of. but he really brought into these big time. I think at least 50 copies of each of those books.

One book that I brought in on was Batman and red robin 19. I probably have about 15-20 copies in various boxes.

I picked up one where I added to my stash of Nowhere Men. Luckily, I sold off most of my #1s back in the day before that book went over the cliff. 

I won't give any specific books but I will say that if you look at the formula that Marvel implemented leading up to their first Avengers movie and its success, and compare that pattern against current projects, certain comics may emerge as fitting in that pattern almost perfectly. 

Marvel proved the formula, I see no reason they would change it.

14 minutes ago, HotKey said:

I won't give any specific books but I will say that if you look at the formula that Marvel implemented leading up to their first Avengers movie and its success, and compare that pattern against current projects, certain comics may emerge as fitting in that pattern almost perfectly. 

Marvel proved the formula, I see no reason they would change it.

Guess I dont know it well enough, there really is a lot to tak in about it though

Spoiler

So in the spirit here is a gif

200-1.gif

23 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

My current long hold books are:

Longshot 1 - 6 (heating up a bit but should explode in the future)

Power Pack 1 (still insanely cheap)

The Death in the Family series (most are tough in 9.6/9.8)

Fantasy Quarterly 1

Micronauts 1

Destroyer Duck 1 (bit more of a stretch but Groo could go off if done well)

I agree with the longshot series. 1st longshot, Mojo, Spiral. 

I'm also going long with the original Contest of Champions series.  With a ton of super-heroes coming under 1 umbrella (Disney) I'd think a contest of champion movie or series could come up in a few years.  For now I'm just buying #1 but the whole set is dirt cheap.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

My current long hold books are:

Longshot 1 - 6 (heating up a bit but should explode in the future)

Power Pack 1 (still insanely cheap)

The Death in the Family series (most are tough in 9.6/9.8)

Fantasy Quarterly 1

Micronauts 1

Destroyer Duck 1 (bit more of a stretch but Groo could go off if done well)

so i should sit on my longshots?