• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's in your "long term speculation" box?
5 5

222 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, Lpgk said:

ASM365 (yes there's a billion of these, but spidey 2099 is one of the last few untouched spideys left for the movies)

Vader 3 (5 years from now the variant is going to be huge $$$)

Contest of Champions 1 (White Fox/ Guillotine)

Mockingbird 1 (Red Widow)

Still bullish on early Valiants like Harbinger 1, XO 1,  XO 5, Solar 10, etc. Part of it might be 90s nostalgia. 

Of the 2099's I have Spidey and Deadpool, not sure if I have any other, although if I did it'd be in the back boxes from childhood.

Still a nice rendition that that could be a go to every now and again lol

On 11/15/2021 at 5:13 PM, Lpgk said:

Still bullish on early Valiants like Harbinger 1, XO 1,  XO 5, Solar 10, etc. Part of it might be 90s nostalgia. 

I got 90s nostalgia during the 1990s. lol  Valiant was one of the first things I targeted when I found eBay in the late 1990s, but it's hard to say that was "nostalgia" since the books were basically still new. 

But seriously, I have recently been buying graded sportscards for the specific cards that I wanted when I was a kid in the late-1980s and early 1990s.  I did a little bit of card buying about 10 years ago, but the "nostalgia bug" has bitten me again and the cards that I was opening packs trying to find in the 1980s are the ones I've been targeting in slabs.  Thankfully, they were much more common than comic books, so most of them are still pretty cheap (unless you must have a PSA 10, which I mustn't).  Valiant comic nostalgia (particularly the early books) might only be a year or two away. :foryou:

If anyone is also a baseball card collector around here, early 1991-1992 Valiant is a lot like 1989 Upper Deck.  It was a new company, very hot pretty much right from the start, even though it was actually pretty common, and there could be quite a bit of fond memories associated with those comics (even if many consider the characters "retired").  1992 Valiant Harbinger #1 is a bit like 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey, Jr. #1.

Edited by valiantman

On 11/16/2021 at 3:31 PM, Ryan. said:
On 11/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, valiantman said:

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey, Jr. #1

:cloud9:

I did the same yet with Griffey Jr and Nolan Ryan. Sold the Ryan rookie and got my money back. Griffey is raw: upper deck and score rookie. I really like Bowman too, but that's another story. I still have some moderns like iconic or something Dirk nowitzki, but I don't have anyone to say yay or nay on binders and binders full of cards. Looking them up is a chore, unlike probably valiant

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

A good deal of my long-term speculation box is Valiant. There are enough comic stories there now, and there are enough companies looking for content for streaming services, and the investors sunk enough money in, that I figure *something* will be done to bring the rest of their properties to the screen at some point. 

I went to a local dollar box sale today, and they had a few pre-Unity Valiants.  I missed the Valiant boat originally, but I figured for $1, why not?  The Solar 10s are one of each print, although the condition on the 1st print is marginal-

96C5B6EA-898C-40E0-9F62-703614AE0D6F.jpeg

On 12/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, Hamlet said:

I went to a local dollar box sale today, and they had a few pre-Unity Valiants.  I missed the Valiant boat originally, but I figured for $1, why not?  The Solar 10s are one of each print, although the condition on the 1st print is marginal-

96C5B6EA-898C-40E0-9F62-703614AE0D6F.jpeg

Yeah, condition is really tough on those. I think there's only a handful of 9.8s on the census

On 12/3/2021 at 8:07 PM, Beige said:

Well played Sir.

Haha Thank you. Crazy both books in 9.8 are ~$2,000k  now.   The recent momentum of FQ 1 9.8  really surprised me.   It is a very difficult book in that grade due to the paper quality. 

Batman beyond 1 (1999) still has 2-3 years before the rule of 25 hits so I'm sure there is room to organically grow (plus movie/new tv show would renew a lot of interest on top of the nostalgia). 

On 12/5/2021 at 12:24 AM, Arkham said:

I’ve let most of it go now…. But, I still have a few copies of Lazarus #1, graded, raw, ss and a near complete run.

One day it will all be riches beyond my wildest dreams. 

I’ve got quite a few copies of that book as well. Bought all the copies I could find  during the year it was released. I really dug the story and think it has promise. 

On 12/5/2021 at 4:16 PM, Norinn Radd said:

Is anyone ever going to care about Savage Dragon?

If they start to, the mid and late run books will be brutally hard to find.   It’ll make assembling a Spawn run look like a walk in the park. 2c

On 12/5/2021 at 3:24 PM, Arkham said:

I’ve let most of it go now…. But, I still have a few copies of Lazarus #1, graded, raw, ss and a near complete run.

One day it will all be riches beyond my wildest dreams. 

Haha - I'm sure it will get there...eventually.

Just need that Netflix green light to make all your dreams come true

On 4/27/2021 at 5:48 AM, 1Cool said:

My current long hold books are:

Longshot 1 - 6 (heating up a bit but should explode in the future)

Power Pack 1 (still insanely cheap)

The Death in the Family series (most are tough in 9.6/9.8)

Fantasy Quarterly 1

Micronauts 1

Destroyer Duck 1 (bit more of a stretch but Groo could go off if done well)

Destroyer duck 1 and FQ1 were some of the first two books I bought when I got back into comics a few years ago.  Was shocked 1st groo and elfquest were so cheap!