• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's in your "long term speculation" box?
5 5

222 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2022 at 12:28 PM, kimik said:

As far as books in the long term spec box, video game related books. You can still find them for cheap at LCSs and in collections. 

so true, although I don't find them as often. I don't often pick up "collections" as you called it, more just bin diving at stores is my shtick, but admire the network most have :) 

On 12/21/2022 at 10:17 AM, kimik said:

A local auction house had a run up to 250 in lots a couple of weekends back. It was online and in person. I tagged all of the lots, then forgot about them while running errands. The new owner paid just under $200 CAD for #100 - #250. :frustrated:

Whoa! That's the cheapest I've seen. Definitely would have sold for more than that on eBay.

On 12/21/2022 at 4:46 AM, JoeBrrr said:

With how king options have been taking to make it to screen - and the speed at which normal viewers watch and forget new series I am kind of over playing the tv/movie spec game I think. 

Options typically have a time limit. When they expire it doesn't make the news.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:02 AM, Beardown said:

I'm guessing this has been brought up but Batman New 52 (court of owls) issues #1-#11 have always been popular but the potential for this series in a movie or show is off the charts.   

Is 6 the first appearance? CGC makes no notation

On 3/5/2023 at 11:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Is 6 the first appearance? CGC makes no notation

Yes, #6 is generally considered the first full appearance of the Court of Owls. #2 is the first appearance of Talon, and #3-5 are apparently considered cameo appearances of the Court of Owls.

I like this topic a lot. I sold The Authority books for quite a good return the first couple of years it was out. I ended up repurchasing more #1 issues of that series than I had when they first came out. DC makes an announcement last month and I sold a bunch again. I hope to buy them again in the future but kept a few copies. 

Sat on Wytches  #1 for 7 or so years and then, boom, there it goes too. 

Books that come to mind that are dirt cheap that I’m still sitting on. 

The Ultimates #1. Seems like a no brainer. The Avengers movie always felt more inspired by this run than most Avengers stories and especially looks of the characters.

Jupiter’s Legacy #1. This series was pretty great and it’s amazing to me that a bad Netflix show killed it’s value. Netflix and Millarworld are taking another swing at these characters and the potential is still there. 

Michael Turner superhero books. He was as cool as McFarlane at one point. Very sad that we lost him so soon. His art was outstanding IMO.

Rat Queens #1. This book was great looking, fun, irreverent, and the characters were easy to like. It’s amazing that this wasn’t a bigger hit. The artist killed it and that sucked for many reasons but the book itself is outstanding. 

Hawkeye #1 ( Kate Bishop ). She’s a good character and as she ages, she become more interesting. She and the original Hawkeye fit like a glove. There is no need to choose when you can enjoy them both. When you compare the price of her #1 to  Ms Marvel #1 (Kamala Khan ) and Spider-Gwen #1, the book seems like a safe bet.

East of West #1. Bet you guys would’ve never guessed it….lol

New Avengers #1 volume 1

Having a dozen long boxes of stuff like this, we could go a very long time discussing opportunities. These are books that I still buy regularly that are the first that came to mind.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:29 PM, the authority said:

I like this topic a lot. I sold The Authority books for quite a good return the first couple of years it was out. I ended up repurchasing more #1 issues of that series than I had when they first came out. DC makes an announcement last month and I sold a bunch again. I hope to buy them again in the future but kept a few copies. 

Sat on Wytches  #1 for 7 or so years and then, boom, there it goes too. 

Books that come to mind that are dirt cheap that I’m still sitting on. 

The Ultimates #1. Seems like a no brainer. The Avengers movie always felt more inspired by this run than most Avengers stories and especially looks of the characters.

Jupiter’s Legacy #1. This series was pretty great and it’s amazing to me that a bad Netflix show killed it’s value. Netflix and Millarworld are taking another swing at these characters and the potential is still there. 

Michael Turner superhero books. He was as cool as McFarlane at one point. Very sad that we lost him so soon. His art was outstanding IMO.

Rat Queens #1. This book was great looking, fun, irreverent, and the characters were easy to like. It’s amazing that this wasn’t a bigger hit. The artist killed it and that sucked for many reasons but the book itself is outstanding. 

Hawkeye #1 ( Kate Bishop ). She’s a good character and as she ages, she become more interesting. She and the original Hawkeye fit like a glove. There is no need to choose when you can enjoy them both. When you compare the price of her #1 to  Ms Marvel #1 (Kamala Khan ) and Spider-Gwen #1, the book seems like a safe bet.

East of West #1. Bet you guys would’ve never guessed it….lol

New Avengers #1 volume 1

Having a dozen long boxes of stuff like this, we could go a very long time discussing opportunities. These are books that I still buy regularly that are the first that came to mind.

That's your jam! :x The Authority :headbang:

I had the Rat Queens and the Wytches.  I gave it as trade offering (only as extra though) to a LCS for my Star Wars 68, as in I got those 2 for $2 a piece, LCS didn't seem as thrilled. lol 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:24 PM, WolverineX said:

I guess battle chasers since it is supposedly ending in June. Thanks to the boardie that alerted it in the heating up thread

In with the new new, and out just as quick? glad there was time for it I suppose. Why the interest? did you have some? or feeling to pick it up?

On 3/8/2023 at 10:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

In with the new new, and out just as quick? glad there was time for it I suppose. Why the interest? did you have some? or feeling to pick it up?

I've always enjoyed Joe Mad's artwork.  Was just thinking about it recently... wanted to reread it and was looking for an Omnibus

On 3/8/2023 at 9:17 PM, WolverineX said:

I've always enjoyed Joe Mad's artwork.  Was just thinking about it recently... wanted to reread it and was looking for an Omnibus

As I had mentioned one of the first I picked up too, and I agree.

On 4/19/2023 at 5:23 AM, Dalehamblin said:

Do you think Cgc will amend the label eventually to first court of owls? Also what do you think will be the more valuable out of #2 and #6?

I’m actually shocked they haven’t yet since the debate on the 1st appearance has been happening for easily 7 years already. 
They do need to take a stand on which is the final appearance (I believe 6 is the first full). 

Issue 2 is the 1st Talon, also awesome, but for whatever reason, The Court of Owls seems to be more intriguing for collectors and fans, and Talon seems to be just an arm (or talon) of them. 2 does have the first cameo for COO.

I think true COO fans should have 1, 2, 3, and 6. 1 being William Cobb, the 1st Talon, 3 being the first cover of Talon… 

Sorry for the long response, I’m actually a huge fan of this topic and debate so you really got me going lol

Edited by D2

On 4/19/2023 at 3:03 PM, D2 said:

I’m actually shocked they haven’t yet since the debate on the 1st appearance has been happening for easily 7 years already. 
They do need to take a stand on which is the final appearance (I believe 6 is the first full). 

Issue 2 is the 1st Talon, also awesome, but for whatever reason, The Court of Owls seems to be more intriguing for collectors and fans, and Talon seems to be just an arm (or talon) of them. 2 does have the first cameo for COW.

I think true COW fans should have 1, 2, 3, and 6. 1 being William Cobb, the 1st Talon, 3 being the first cover of Talon… 

Sorry for the long response, I’m actually a huge fan of this topic and debate so you really got me going lol

Actually it’s really interesting to read,and good information. I’ve been looking these up myself and I’ve seen there’s some variant covers also I think the #6 has a 1:25 but not sure.