• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's in your "long term speculation" box?
5 5

222 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

My current long hold books are:

Longshot 1 - 6 (heating up a bit but should explode in the future)

Power Pack 1 (still insanely cheap)

The Death in the Family series (most are tough in 9.6/9.8)

Fantasy Quarterly 1

Micronauts 1

Destroyer Duck 1 (bit more of a stretch but Groo could go off if done well)

Who owns Groo?

I have been trying to encourage my TV exec/producer/creator friend out in hollywood to do Groo as it was the one comic he used to read when we were tweens.

The problem is, live action it could be a George of the Jungle type failure. Aragones's art was half the humor if not more.

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

Who owns Groo?

I have been trying to encourage my TV exec/producer/creator friend out in hollywood to do Groo as it was the one comic he used to read when we were tweens.

The problem is, live action it could be a George of the Jungle type failure. Aragones's art was half the humor if not more.

Good question.  I do agree Groo live action would be very tough to not be pretty terrible but a Groo series on Amazon Prime would be a fun watch with a half hour show.  But if there was even a show rumored to be on the way I'd think that book would skyrocket just because it is so cheap.  I think I sold my last copy for $20 which is crazy for a 1st appearance of a long running character.

Edited by 1Cool

14 minutes ago, the blob said:

so i should sit on my longshots? 

I currently am.  I've got a couple #3 on the way to CGC but the few sets I've got are still in the boxes.  I've seen nice sets starting to sell for $100 which is way up from the $30 I was paying a bit ago but I could see $200 for nice sets in the next couple years.

28 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Good question.  I do agree Groo live action would be very tough to not be pretty terrible but a Groo series on Amazon Prime would be a fun watch with a half hour show.  But if there was even a show rumored to be on the way I'd think that book would skyrocket just because it is so cheap.  I think I sold my last copy for $20 which is crazy for a 1st appearance of a long running character.

destroyer duck 1 I believe was some sort of warehouse they printed an extra zillion copies situation. kirby and adams probaby why. it was found in dollar boxes when Groo 1 from pacific was not considered such. the two books seem to sell for about the same right now for a nice raw copy, but DD 1s in 9.8 are 2.5X more

For some reason, been holding on to some early Turtles books issues 6-11. I think I have 6-10 each.

Turtles Adv. 1-3 (Archie), not the one with Bebop & Rocksteady, I think I have 10 of those each. Always thought all of these were a bit undervalued.

Still think Strange Tales 110 as undervalued and great hold for long term given the insane parabolic rises of DD1 and X-men 1 these last few months.  The last half year, I've been on the look out for this book whenever I see a collection or visit a store because I always enjoyed reading about the good Doctor of the mystic arts. Although ST110 cover is controversial, it's still frickin Dr. Strange's 1st appearance.

All the other silver 1st appearance keys are pretty much becoming unattainable for the general populace... as we inch closer to Dr. Strange 2: Multiverse of Madness, this Silver will follow it's brethrens' trajectory.

Batman 655/656 - Damian has become an indispensable character in the Batman mythos.

Detective 647 - Spoiler/Stephanie Brown...same thought process.

X-Men 125/126 - Proteus.  Fantastic multi media property, if studios realize hero versus hero is what fans would like to see.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:34 PM, BoogieWoogie said:

I'm always curious to see what people have that they might have to sit on for a year or three to maybe turn around. I personally like a lot of the Marvel Now stuff and have been picking that up for a while. Spider-Gwen's first solo book, Sam Alexander Nova's first solo, Silk's first solo, have been grabbing Miles' first solo since the first Spider-verse movie, I have so many copies and variants of Champions V2 #1... stuff like that. Is there anything that you think may be coming down the road in the MCU that you've been picking up for a while? Is anyone buying up DC while their books seem to be responding significantly less to the overall hot market? I've been picking at my Batman run here and there, I may regret not going more after those while the getting was good... 

Does anyone enjoy speculation? Hate it? I love the books and the stories and many of my favorite books are worthless(Spider-Man(1990) #75!, Osborn Journals) but the buy sell trade elements of the hobby also provide me with a ton of entertainment :cloud9:

I too have been scooping up those Champion v2#1 variants. I try to grab the Sam variants and I think the Kamala side characters first appearance are worth hoarding.  Of course it is now harder and harder to find anything cheap with Kamala and Sam variants. (maybe they are cheap now compared to what will be but that's game)

On 5/1/2021 at 12:11 AM, 500Club said:

Batman 655/656 - Damian has become an indispensable character in the Batman mythos.

Detective 647 - Spoiler/Stephanie Brown...same thought process.

X-Men 125/126 - Proteus.  Fantastic multi media property, if studios realize hero versus hero is what fans would like to see.

Genuinely feel like Batman 655/656 are pretty undervalued still, especially compared to how other books have increased as of late. I would add 666 as well. Would love for Morrison to return to write a Damian as future Batman ongoing, albeit it is very unlikely.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:01 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I picked up a speculators collection a few weeks ago. 

Here are some of the books he had multiples of (more than 20 copies)

Undiscovered Country 1

Brigade 1 Image series

Deathmate Black (haven't we all speculated on this book at one time or another)

Stormwatch 1

Undiscovered Country has alot of upside. 

And yes we all have Deathmate copies I would assume.

Many of these are already selling well, but can be found cheap still occasionally.

Monstress - I am holding my copies
Wynd cheap still
Once and Future Best kept secret under $10 
Manifest Destiny 1 - I have trouble finding cheap copies
Kravens Last Hunt Sets command huge prices
Avengers Academy 1 potential
Gargoyles - all low print runs, but can be found cheap still
DC vs Marvel great potential cheap
Spectre 54 - great potential, but very hard to find
Nemesis - I buy every cheap copy I can.

Uncanny X-men 184 & 196

4 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Many of these are already selling well, but can be found cheap still occasionally.

Monstress - I am holding my copies
Wynd cheap still
Once and Future Best kept secret under $10 
Manifest Destiny 1 - I have trouble finding cheap copies
Kravens Last Hunt Sets command huge prices
Avengers Academy 1 potential
Gargoyles - all low print runs, but can be found cheap still
DC vs Marvel great potential cheap
Spectre 54 - great potential, but very hard to find
Nemesis - I buy every cheap copy I can.

Uncanny X-men 184 & 196

Single issues can be had pretty cheap still but it's one of the rare sets where they're worth more together than apart. If Kraven is in the next film expect those to jump.

I found an Avengers Academy 1 at cover price a week ago along with some Batman V2 keys. The shop I got it from is a total pigsty. Maybe 2 dozen longboxes of unsorted stuff just strewn about next to their alphabetized stacks... I bet there's tons of modern gold in there but I am not super well-versed on moderns.

I don't have ASM Annual 1 but I figure the Return of the Sinister Six set from 334-339 might fetch more like $50 or so if the Sinister Six does appear in the MCU. I've picked up a few sets around $10. If it doesn't pan out you can always get $2 an issue for high grade ASM, even the dreck common issues in the mid 300's so I could move them at $12 or $15 in the worst case scenario... Can take a while though lol