What's in your "long term speculation" box?
4 4

141 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, kapzilla said:

Genuinely feel like Batman 655/656 are pretty undervalued still, especially compared to how other books have increased as of late. I would add 666 as well. Would love for Morrison to return to write a Damian as future Batman ongoing, albeit it is very unlikely.

Absolutely.  I always try to pick up Bat 655/656. Way undervalued.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally made it back down to the Very Disorganized Shop in the next town over and made a few long term spec plays. Only made it in about 2 hours before closing so I didn't even get to touch the unsorted longboxes which is where I bet the real gold is hiding. I did okay, lots of books from the last year were just sitting out for cover price so I grabbed... a bunch. I might go back tomorrow for the rest of their Future State Wonder Woman #1's and Wolverine #6's... They also have a bunch of Batman #106 (cover B) and Dark Knights Death Metal #7 (Covers B + C)... probably a bunch of decent to nice DC/Star Wars moderns that I didn't know enough to look for.

Anyway

996847536_1-itnb16U.thumb.jpg.81118ec17922069b8bbaaea9b153982b.jpg

1834715473_2-BkLy5Xm.thumb.jpg.715d3744802a9373cec45f7c01301844.jpg

Ghost Spider #10 is the first time Gwen names herself Ghost Spider I think. And the other two are the first solo titled as Ghost-Spider. Grabbed a few for cover. IMO if they do bring Spider-Gwen into the MCU way, way down the line it'll be as Ghost-Spider. Or if she gets a spin-off cartoon after Spider-Verse... don't think she'll ever be in anything titled Spider-Gwen on TV or film. ASM #437 is the ToyBiz reprint. Never seen one in great shape and this one is no exception but happy to have it. I've already said how much I love Yara Flora in this thread... that's the 2nd print of her first app. New cover, DC fans seem to like these design variants that DC has been doing. Maybe Yara pops and MAYBE fans care about the 2nd print. Maybe. Hawkeye #7 is the first appearance of Eleanor Bishop, Kate's mom. She's confirmed for the Disney+ show but will she matter? Will fans like her? Hopefully she's the next Agatha Harkness and I can sell these for $40+ each in a month or two, those might pay for the whole trip lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easy. This one.

Because it had a 500 issue print run, only offered online and maybe a handful of shops in town...and myself and the other creator will one day slip the character into one of our other creative endeavours, causing a chain reaction of collectors trying to source it after they discover his existence and I throw the copyright to the wind and let it fall at whatever damn studio we happen to be working for at the time :D  

IMG_20210521_160611.thumb.jpg.40715f2d6ba76742db64b2ed15352902.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

I finally found time to make it back to the Very Disorganized Shop 90 minutes away and this time I gave myself enough time to dig through their unsorted boxes. Or, well, all of the ones I had the stomach to move around to uncover. Some of the stuff pictured above has sold well so I grabbed more of it. I probably left some gems there as I was getting pretty tired of digging through the stacks by the time I had searched 2/3 of their unsorted stuff. I'll likely make one more trip in another few weeks to finish clearing them out of any goodies they have left. For poops and giggles, I'll breakdown what I picked up today and what I paid for everything... because I'd rather waste some time doing that than to start scanning these and getting em up on FeeBay lol 

I picked up 83 books today. Exact total: $370.12. Per book: $4.46.

Pretty much everything was cover price except for a few I'll call out. Anything with no price sticker was was cover price and some things that were slightly marked up were sold at cover price. Basically I don't think the employee cared to punch in the extra dollar or two on some of these so if he scanned it and it was listed in the system he just sold it to me at cover price. Nice guy, that kid...

Here's the haul...

1865844543_3-ZZ0SJ5W.thumb.jpg.a0acbfaf8c0a475c757e7997fad0574c.jpg

Naomi #2 (2nd print) - 2nd app Naomi, 1st app of Naomi's adopted parents

Naomi #3 (2nd print) x3 - 3rd app Naomi, Naomi's step pops is an alien!

Naomi #3 x6 - Origin. Naomi's costume is debuted. 1st app of Zumbado (confirmed for CW series). They had a lot more of these but I grabbed their 6 best copies. Might circle back for the VF+ copies if these move okay.

Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider #1 x 9 (3x Cover A, 6x Artgerm Cover B) - First solo as Ghost Spider. Not sure where this one will go or if it will ever pop. This is Gwen's official name going forward and she gives herself the moniker in issue #10... will people ever care about this? These sell slowly at $10+shipping. Cover B moves faster than Cover A as of now.

Black Cat #4 - Run filler

1585468027_5-sDDnCms.thumb.jpg.4ed7ffcc935706e5b614975456f078ff.jpg

Hawkeye #1 Romero Design Incentive Variant (1:10) - Will people like the Disney+ show? Even if they don't Kate is going to get a couple chances to redeem herself after that most likely as the MCU seems to be building towards Young Avengers...

Ultimate Fallout #5 - Run filler

Wonder Woman Annual #4 x2 - 1st(?) Yara Flor cameo... this is kind of a mess. I think what was supposed to happen was this was supposed to release before Dark Knights Death Metal 7 and Future State Wonder Woman #1. But books were delayed and I believe this, DKDM7 and FSWW1 all actually released in the same week. So Yara Flor has a cameo in this book and a cameo in DKDM7... what seems to be the case to me is that cameos have a much harder time catching on if a character has multiple cameos rather than just one. A good example of this is Mary-Jane Watson. Of course those early Spidey books tended to be keys for more important reasons than the MJ cameos but people don't even bother to list all of MJ's cameos. I don't think Key Collector even mentions them all. So this could end up being a totally unimportant book like the multiple Carnage cameos always were until this year... I think FSWW1 is the book and will leave both of these cameos way in the dust but I want to try to get the set in 9.8 anyway. 

Batman #106 - 1st cameo of Miracle Molly, 1st cameo of Master Wyze - This was my big find in the unsorted boxes. I found 10 of these but... the cashier was a Batman fan and asked for one so I gave him one and there were some kids in the store that also needed this issue so... I took the nicest copy and left the rest for the wolves. I already have a bunch of copies of this and while 10 copies of these would sell quickly I decided to get my Good Deed of the Year out of the way. Next time kids hit me up about an issue they need I'm going to hit them with the famous MJ quote... if you know you know on that one lol 

Black Panther #1 Artgem variant cover X(!!!) - Didn't even know which volume this was. Cover buy.

Magneto #19 - Cover buy. Gwenneto? Why yes, I think I will.

Star #1 J. Scott Campbell variant cover B - First solo book for Star. I am not a big JSC fan but I like this cover quite a bit and her face actually looks different than the other female face he seems to use for all the women he draws(MJ and Black Cat on the same cover? Same face different hairstyles. Wonder Girl 1 variant? Several Wonder Women, 1 face, different hairstyles...) I think Star does have potential to appear in the MCU and have a handful of copies of her first app too.

Amazing Spider-Man #637 Fyles variant cover B - 1st Julia Carpenter as Madame Webb. 1st Anya Corazaon as Spider-Girl. There have been persistent rumors of a Madame Web project which has driven Cover A of this issue and #210 for the last 2 years... I think if that pans out it won't be the wheelchair bound version of Web. Though if they could figure out how to build a show around an immobilized elderly woman I would be wildly impressed lol 

Infamous Iron Man #1 Deodato Incentive Variant (1:10) - First Doctor Doom as Iron Man

Ghost Rider #2 Lopez Incentive Variant (1:25) - Not sure why I bought this tbh?

Secret Wars 2009 #2 Latour Variant Cover - First Spider-Gwen 2099 cover... it is a LONG-term spec thread :D 

Amazing Spider-Man #565 - 1st app of Ana Kravinoff, daughter of Kraven the Hunter

135898992_4-DSLwh88.thumb.jpg.5a61df2e84776d39497afaf60c027367.jpg

Magic Order #1 Adam Hughes Variant Cover C x12 - Lots of 1st apps. Confirmed in development for Netflix. They had probably 10 more of these marked up to $15... but these had no stickers so they were sold at cover price :D

Superior #1 - It's a Mark Millar #1. I know nothing about this book.

Batman #38 - 1st Matthew Warner, a creepy Bruce Wayne superfan

Rick & Morty #37 Vasquez Varian Cover B x 4 - @CHASEnBLUE personally guaranteed these would turn out for me so, hey, can't lose. X-Men 141 cover homage, Pickle Rick cover

965701256_6-N70FdoI.thumb.jpg.da1a02f57e2837645a12b94079606617.jpg

Wolverine #6 x7 (6x Cover A, 1x Warren Johnson Variant Cover F) - 1st Solem who is returning in an upcoming story arc

Wolverine #4 - Barely glanced at this... thought it was another copy of Cover F of #6 doh!

What if Magik Became Sorcerer Supreme #1 - One shot. Goes for about $15. Not canon so not sure why but more importantly I don't care

Moon Knight #188 McKone Incentive Variant Cover C (1:10) - 1st appearance of the Sun King, rumored to be played by Ethan Hawke in the upcoming Moon Knight series

Amazing Spider-Man #797 - 1st red goblin. Don't think we're super likely to see this character very often at all but it was a fun character and this cover is dope. Probably one of the most ordered issues of Amazing Spider-Man in a long, long, long time...

Vault of Spiders #1 - 1st appearance of a couple Spider-characters. Could pop up in a Spider-verse movie down the line? Truthfully, I thought this was the first app of Spiders-Man, a version of Spider-Man comprised of thousands of spiders who all think they're Peter Parker lol 

Future State Wonder Woman #1 (2nd print design variant) - 1st Yara Flor. I bought a bunch of these last time I was here and left maybe 10. I was hoping to get down here before Wonder Girl #1 dropped because I figured someone would think to check for the rest of them after that reminded them... cashier said someone came and bought ten yesterday. But they missed this one!

Captain Marvel #22 (2nd print) - 1st cover appearance of Ove, Namor's son, who first appears 2 issues later in Captain Marvel #24

Ultimate End #2 "The Night Brian Michael Gwendis Died" Variant Cover - Cover buy lol 

519206583_7-SSGv359.thumb.jpg.ee31dc39004739d5f94df5303cda1bb2.jpg733585466_8-e6lF41K.thumb.jpg.1d2d2cbd42889c3616058bdc60b2166f.jpg

Ultimate Comics #22 - I don't think these early Miles series had high print runs. I will pretty much grab any issue from his first series in high grade. And even down to mid grade for some of them. When Miles drops there are few enough Miles issues that there will be run collectors for his solo series I think. Could be wrong ofc.

Venom #155 (non-lenticular 2nd print variant) - I like all of the non-lenticular 2nd prints of these... low prints runs and you can actually see the dang cover. Marvel did a horrible job on the lenticulars IMO...

867789893_9-3SX0EOk.thumb.jpg.78a042a4ca8e02957c7009812c833f82.jpg

Children of the Atom #1 x2 (1x Cover A, 1x, Secret Variant Cover F) - 1st children of the atom. This series is not great so far, I probably shouldn't have grabbed these. I didn't even notice that I had a copy of the secret variant instead of 2 copies of cover A... I was fading by this point in the afternoon...

Luna Snow #1 - Fiege says he wants to feature more Asian heroes which makes a ton of sense given where the MCU does big box office outside of the US... Luna Snow is a member of the New Agents of Atlas which has been rumored to be one of the Asian heroes Fiege could be thinking about. She's a Korean former K-pop star and this is her first solo I think...

Moon Knight #188 x2 - 1st appearance of the Sun King, rumored to be played by Ethan Hawke in the upcoming Moon Knight series1982905365_2-WP6bgDx.thumb.jpg.967360ce35826fbdc22502ac52c00037.jpg

Alright, now we're finally getting to some of the books that WEREN'T cover price.

Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider #1 Incentive Animation Variant Cover H (1:10) - $10.25 - First solo as Ghost Spider. For my PC. Hopefully a 9.8 after a press.

Voltron #1 - $10.25 - 1st appearance of Voltron in US comics... AFAIK the licensing rights to Voltron have been locked up in legal disputes for like a decade and either was resolved recently or will be or... something. Lots of 80s properties have popped recently, like Transformers, Thundercats... could Voltron be next? Maybe. Maybe not. Think this has an outside shot at a 9.8 after a press...

Wolverine #88 - $3.99 - First Wolverine v. Deadpool. Here is where I started to get TICKED. I asked the cashier if everything that wasn't marked was cover price and he said yeah. Then when I was checking out he was like, "Oh I forgot all of our unmarked older back issues are $3.99, sorry." I was OUTRAGED. Overpriced, but I still brought it home.

Batman Taco Bell Comic(?) - $.25 - I'm a sucker for promo comics because I have bad taste. Again, this cashier became determined to rip me off at this point. This clearly has no price sticker or a listed price. Should've been free. He said he couldn't give it to me free and rang it up at $.25. JERK!!! :pullhair:

^Does anyone know what the hell that is, btw?

Detective Comics #577 - $3.50 - Year 2, Part 3. McFarlane on Batman. They had a lot of the other DC McFarlanes with no sticker, including the gun cover. Have no clue why I didn't just get them all... I was flagging at this point in the afternoon lol 

Detective Comics #871 x2 - $3.99 - 1st Synder on Batman. 1st James Gordon Jr. One of these was marked $40... these two were right next to it with no price sticker...

Batman #656 x2 - $3.99 - Clearly no sticker. Clearly priced at $2.99 inside the UPC... 1st full Damien Wayne. These two were both more expensive than my best copy of this issue, which I found unbagged in a .50 cent bin a few months back

 

 

If you didn't believe I reeeeeeaaally didn't feel like scanning books tonight you should believe me now lol 

You s c o r e d !!! Awesome and congrats!

Grade some of those Magic Orders too!

Edited by CHASEnBLUE
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

You s c o r e d !!! Awesome and congrats!

Grade some of those Magic Orders too!

Gotta wait until my magnifying glass gets here to take a closer look but I am going to sub 5 of them with my LCS owner, sell 5 over the next month or so, hold onto 2, and then figure out what to do with any that don't come back 9.8. Most of this stuff is NM/NM+ so I'm going to take a closer look at most of it but I'm going to sell at least one of everything I have multiples of except the Wonder Woman Annual 4 and that should cover a lot of the cost of this lot. And if I can turn multiple 9.8s out of the Magic Order books or the Artgerm Spider-Gwens... but these are behind my FSWW #1s that I'll be subbing over the next probably 2 months. Think I have plenty of time for the Magic Order stuff since my LCS fast tracks everything he sends out. Ends up being similar to the standard rate after his discount. 

Just took a look at the back cover on one of these Magic Order #1's... subtle...

449268872_HY4xdJs-Imgur.thumb.jpg.da43f36a4b28c5975bb9943a1b2723bf.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, BoogieWoogie said:

Wolverine #88 - $3.99 - First Wolverine v. Deadpool. Here is where I started to get TICKED. I asked the cashier if everything that wasn't marked was cover price and he said yeah. Then when I was checking out he was like, "Oh I forgot all of our unmarked older back issues are $3.99, sorry." I was OUTRAGED. Overpriced, but I still brought it home.

How dare they charge you $3.99 for a comic that sells for $25 in VF condition.  The nerve of them.  :kidaround:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124727977915

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BoogieWoogie said:
13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

How dare they charge you $3.99 for a comic that sells for $25 in VF condition.  The nerve of them.  :kidaround:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124727977915

And here I thought I laid on the sarcasm too thick there :devil:

Tha Noive! Coitanly!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have several copies of Cover A but... they're all at least a bit dinged up. Dirt on the white border... larger bindery tears... I think I will squeeze at least 1 9.8 out of them but I wanted to be sure that I had at least one of Cover A. I usually like to slab my own raws, just buying one takes a little bit of the fun out of it for me, but with CGC's recent price hike I think some of the lower priced 9.8s are a bargain. At this point if you don't get a 9.8 through one prescreen submission and have to get it through the second one you're barely beating the cost of some of these $50 9.8's. I think I'm going to snap up a few around that price point that I like.

Anyway, back to this issue... I feel pretty confident that I already have the raw copies to get the other covers in 9.8. 1 down, 5 to go...

929346717_VbEkMvj-Imgur.thumb.jpg.d40a5b57c85188c397fb0772e4535230.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2021 at 10:47 PM, BoogieWoogie said:

Finally made it back down to the Very Disorganized Shop in the next town over and made a few long term spec plays. Only made it in about 2 hours before closing so I didn't even get to touch the unsorted longboxes which is where I bet the real gold is hiding. I did okay, lots of books from the last year were just sitting out for cover price so I grabbed... a bunch. I might go back tomorrow for the rest of their Future State Wonder Woman #1's and Wolverine #6's... They also have a bunch of Batman #106 (cover B) and Dark Knights Death Metal #7 (Covers B + C)... probably a bunch of decent to nice DC/Star Wars moderns that I didn't know enough to look for.

Anyway

996847536_1-itnb16U.thumb.jpg.81118ec17922069b8bbaaea9b153982b.jpg

1834715473_2-BkLy5Xm.thumb.jpg.715d3744802a9373cec45f7c01301844.jpg

Ghost Spider #10 is the first time Gwen names herself Ghost Spider I think. And the other two are the first solo titled as Ghost-Spider. Grabbed a few for cover. IMO if they do bring Spider-Gwen into the MCU way, way down the line it'll be as Ghost-Spider. Or if she gets a spin-off cartoon after Spider-Verse... don't think she'll ever be in anything titled Spider-Gwen on TV or film. ASM #437 is the ToyBiz reprint. Never seen one in great shape and this one is no exception but happy to have it. I've already said how much I love Yara Flora in this thread... that's the 2nd print of her first app. New cover, DC fans seem to like these design variants that DC has been doing. Maybe Yara pops and MAYBE fans care about the 2nd print. Maybe. Hawkeye #7 is the first appearance of Eleanor Bishop, Kate's mom. She's confirmed for the Disney+ show but will she matter? Will fans like her? Hopefully she's the next Agatha Harkness and I can sell these for $40+ each in a month or two, those might pay for the whole trip lol 

I don't think Brzrkr's going anywhere beyond cover or less...way over hyped/produced. Anybody disagree? I'd love to be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2021 at 2:34 AM, BoogieWoogie said:

 

Does anyone enjoy speculation? Hate it?

I like it up to a point. But I don't let it overshadow the reason for collecting. Because the books I want mean something to me other than tacky money. So I sell a book and now I have a fistful of money. I suppose if I were rich, I could buy whatever books I wanted. But then the lustre of the chase or even the desire to want something I cannot have would be gone.

Remember that Twilight Zone episode? Where the cheap hood Rocky Valentine was shot and killed? And Sebastian Cabot was really Pip the devil? And gave Valentine whatever he wanted? Deciding that he will go crazy if he stays in Heaven any longer, Valentine asks Pip to take him to "the other place". Pip retorts, "Heaven? Whatever gave you the idea you were in Heaven, Mr. Valentine? This is the other place!" Horrified, Rocky tries in vain to open the now-locked apartment door and escape his "paradise" as Pip laughs malevolently at his torment.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/21/2021 at 11:51 PM, BoogieWoogie said:

Batman Taco Bell Comic(?) - $.25 - I'm a sucker for promo comics because I have bad taste. Again, this cashier became determined to rip me off at this point. This clearly has no price sticker or a listed price. Should've been free. He said he couldn't give it to me free and rang it up at $.25. JERK!!! :pullhair:

^Does anyone know what the hell that is, btw?

It's exactly what it looks like. Taco Bell did a series of these aschcan sized promos as giveaways for their kids' meals. There's this one, Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman. That I know of. I don't think they're super hard to find, especially compared to really tough promos. But, hey, promos. Promos are always fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2021 at 5:49 PM, Qalyar said:

It's exactly what it looks like. Taco Bell did a series of these aschcan sized promos as giveaways for their kids' meals. There's this one, Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman. That I know of. I don't think they're super hard to find, especially compared to really tough promos. But, hey, promos. Promos are always fun.

What are the "tough to find" promos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

What are the "tough to find" promos?

Stuff that comes to mind from DC (since we're talking DC books). In no particular order;

  • Gears of War #1 Blockbuster
  • Twisted Metal 2
  • Scooby-Doo Mystery of the Fun Park Phantom
  • Teeny Titans
  • Aquaman #1 Special (Complex Con), and to some extent the other promo variants
  • Fringe Preview. Fringe: Tales from the Fringe isn't a cakewalk either.
  • EverQuest Online Adventures: The Quest for Darkpaw

Edit: Apparently Fun Park Phantom has had more copies turn up than historically has been the case. MCS has a couple low/midgrade copies. But it had wonky distribution, and high grade copies are unicorns, so I stand by mentioning it.

Edited by Qalyar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2021 at 7:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

What are the "tough to find" promos?

There are lots of them. The rarest Batman one I'm aware of is a 1994 Mailaway called Batman and Me

My White Whale of an ASM book is a giveaway. It's the Amazing Spider-Man #184 All Laundry Detergent giveaway... it looks just like the normal issue but with no price in the box. It's one of the rarest variants from ASM V1. I saw one in a lot of ASM books and someone juuuuust outbid me for the lot of like 200 books for around $1000... I think that book alone would be worth $1000(it was still polybagged!)... just wasn't liquid enough at the time :censored:

Promo books are fun. I'm trying to track down all the Spider-Man giveaway comics that were in newspapers around the country, hard to even figure out the ones I'm missing...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, BoogieWoogie said:

There are lots of them. The rarest Batman one I'm aware of is a 1994 Mailaway called Batman and Me

My White Whale of an ASM book is a giveaway. It's the Amazing Spider-Man #184 All Laundry Detergent giveaway... it looks just like the normal issue but with no price in the box. It's one of the rarest variants from ASM V1. I saw one in a lot of ASM books and someone juuuuust outbid me for the lot of like 200 books for around $1000... I think that book alone would be worth $1000(it was still polybagged!)... just wasn't liquid enough at the time :censored:

Promo books are fun. I'm trying to track down all the Spider-Man giveaway comics that were in newspapers around the country, hard to even figure out the ones I'm missing...

I've heard of the "All" one - probably here on the Boards.  Picked up the Aim toothpaste giveaway at a yard sale this past summer.

 

Whitley - ASM.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4