• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's in your "long term speculation" box?
5 5

222 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2021 at 9:36 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I've heard of the "All" one - probably here on the Boards.  Picked up the Aim toothpaste giveaway at a yard sale this past summer.

Whitley - ASM.jpg

Here's another of the 184's ... this one is slabbed and STILL has the sticker.... if you luck out and find one with the sticker still on, DON'T have it pressed, because the sticker will often come off in the process. I'm told there may be two versions, one with a yellow sticker and one with white.  GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

ASM 184 NO PRICE W-STICKER CGC 3.5.jpg

I don't have anything really specific. I buy various special, rarer covers now and again when they're affordable for first appearances or other firsts (like the recent Moon Knight #3), and I seem to be accumulating a lot of variants for the Star Wars High Republic series. I buy a good chunk of what comes out each week anyway, and I figure some will really shoot up in the future as some did when I first really started collecting back between 2006 and 2011. Not enough to cover my costs now by any means, but I hope to get some kind of decent money years down the road. :) 

Been trying to grab inexpensive copies of first appearances when I run across them. Bought some Hulk stuff (1st Skaar, 1st Maestro, stuff like that). I grab cheap first-run TMNT when I see them; even early issues - except the first 4-5 - can be found for fairly cheap. Grabbed some Angela MCU stuff just in case, along with Spawn 9. Green Lantern too - modern ones like Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, Kyle Rayner.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Been trying to grab inexpensive copies of first appearances when I run across them. Bought some Hulk stuff (1st Skaar, 1st Maestro, stuff like that). I grab cheap first-run TMNT when I see them; even early issues - except the first 4-5 - can be found for fairly cheap. Grabbed some Angela MCU stuff just in case, along with Spawn 9. Green Lantern too - modern ones like Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz, Kyle Rayner.

Good thought on green lantern.  67 is a good one to hold

A good deal of my long-term speculation box is Valiant. There are enough comic stories there now, and there are enough companies looking for content for streaming services, and the investors sunk enough money in, that I figure *something* will be done to bring the rest of their properties to the screen at some point. 

Anyone have anything hit from Disney+ day? I bought a copy of the 1st appearance of Echo and a few of her first cover appearance 2 years ago for around $20 for one copy of DD 9 and 3 copies of DD 10... nothing stellar but decent. Echo has been rumored very heavily for over a year so wasn't surprised to see this one finally be announced.

I am a big Spider-Man collector and the Spider-Man show has also been rumored for a while. Everything I saw said it would focus on villains that would be technologically tough in live action or more minor rogues so I've been grabbing lots of minor Spidey villain keys... $3 for a 1st black fox(which I think could also pop if they do a Black Cat movie or property down the line), extra copies of 1st hammerhead... I wouldn't be surprised if they threw in a v2 or later enemy or two like Screwball who has already been in the Spider-Man video games or Paper Doll or some other really minor villains too. Really excited for the Spidey show...

On 11/12/2021 at 7:44 PM, Wolverinex said:

First nimrod.  

Yes! And what of the others in that issue number era, and or, 1st onslaught?

I noticed when the LCS put them all up for sale, yet I was in catch up mode...

Seems I'm still there after all this time!

george-costanza-ketchup-bottle.gif

On 10/28/2021 at 8:05 PM, Qalyar said:

Stuff that comes to mind from DC (since we're talking DC books). In no particular order;

• Gears of War #1 Blockbuster
  • Twisted Metal 2
  • Scooby-Doo Mystery of the Fun Park Phantom
  • Teeny Titans
  • Aquaman #1 Special (Complex Con), and to some extent the other promo variants
  • Fringe Preview. Fringe: Tales from the Fringe isn't a cakewalk either.
  • EverQuest Online Adventures: The Quest for Darkpaw

Edit: Apparently Fun Park Phantom has had more copies turn up than historically has been the case. MCS has a couple low/midgrade copies. But it had wonky distribution, and high grade copies are unicorns, so I stand by mentioning it.

Great list 

Lots of Star Wars here. Lots of firsts in the High Republic and High Republic Adventures series. HRA #1 and #2 could be something in the not-to-distant future. Also, I have a feeling Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #14 (and to a lesser extent #13) and War of the Bounty Hunters: Jabba the Hutt #1 may become a thing down the road.

Oh yeah, Spider-Man 2099 #1

Other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:19 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Lots of Star Wars here. Lots of firsts in the High Republic and High Republic Adventures series. HRA #1 and #2 could be something in the not-to-distant future. Also, I have a feeling Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #14 (and to a lesser extent #13) and War of the Bounty Hunters: Jabba the Hutt #1 may become a thing down the road.

Oh yeah, Spider-Man 2099 #1

Other stuff I can't think of at the moment.

what about the star wars magazine first appearance for high republic?

On 11/13/2021 at 12:37 PM, jsilverjanet said:

what about the star wars magazine first appearance for high republic?

Can’t go wrong with that either. With the Acolyte show in the pipeline and possible other HR-era shows/movies it seems like comics/mags are ripe for characters for them to choose from. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

ASM365 (yes there's a billion of these, but spidey 2099 is one of the last few untouched spideys left for the movies)

Vader 3 (5 years from now the variant is going to be huge $$$)

Contest of Champions 1 (White Fox/ Guillotine)

Mockingbird 1 (Red Widow)

Still bullish on early Valiants like Harbinger 1, XO 1,  XO 5, Solar 10, etc. Part of it might be 90s nostalgia.