• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Lethal Protector #1 Black Cover Error Variant
2 2

39 posts in this topic

Pretty sure OP knows that. He's asking for what the slabbed Venom Black sold for in the recent Comiclink auction. I was aware of it but didn't put in a bid, so I don't have it's final sale price stored. Pretty sure it was $2,000+ but need someone who actually bid on it to confirm.

Damn!

It's long gone now, but I bought a boardie's 9.6 copy back in 2012 for just $550.

It was good price at the time (the book was worth more like $800 then and slipped through the cracks on eBay) but not in the same universe as today.

Insane.  I had a few various grades and sold them a few years back.   While the book is cool I remember a dude in Chicago who sold on eBay and sold a couple,  got to talking to me and told me how he figured a way to make them himself.  I called bull on it but he did send me a photo of close to 20 black error venoms he had almost all appearing similar to one another.  He had a few graded ones too most of which were high grade.  When I asked how he was able to produce the error effect without leaving a trace, he wouldn’t tell me, just told me a butt load of the ones in the market are probably ones he sold to unsuspecting buyers.  So idk which are authentic or made by some dude anymore. 

Just now, SinjonSmythe said:

The 9.6 ends tonight, it’s now at $4100..crazy

Ugh I sold mine a few years back for $1200 I believe.  I always loved the black error but once I found out some people figured out how to make them and pass them off as legit, I lost interest in reaquiribg one. Now I wish I was able to get one :(

4 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Ugh I sold mine a few years back for $1200 I believe.  I always loved the black error but once I found out some people figured out how to make them and pass them off as legit, I lost interest in reaquiribg one. Now I wish I was able to get one :(

Get back in touch with your contact - ask him to make you one. $4500 now 😬 

1 minute ago, SinjonSmythe said:

Get back in touch with your contact - ask him to make you one. $4500 now 😬 

Wasn’t really a contact I just happened to meet him at local comic book store and thought he was bull sh*tying me.   But after he sent those pics, I have to take him at his word.  No way he could have 20 plus raw black error prints in a pile ready to be sent to cgc and then have a few graded 9.8 and 9.6.   He did tell me he mostly sent high grade copies in to be graded.  With that said, I wouldn’t want the “fake” one, I’d want a legit error for my collection and wouldn’t want to be part of passing off a fake for a legit one

7 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Wasn’t really a contact I just happened to meet him at local comic book store and thought he was bull sh*tying me.   But after he sent those pics, I have to take him at his word.  No way he could have 20 plus raw black error prints in a pile ready to be sent to cgc and then have a few graded 9.8 and 9.6.   He did tell me he mostly sent high grade copies in to be graded.  With that said, I wouldn’t want the “fake” one, I’d want a legit error for my collection and wouldn’t want to be part of passing off a fake for a legit one

As a relatively new acquirer of a copy I’ve heard rumour of fakes though was lead to believe they’re completely black with no residual foil. Does that seem correct from what you saw?

Researching the subject provides very little information.