• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Venom Lethal Protector #1 Black Cover Error Variant
2 2

39 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, SinjonSmythe said:

As a relatively new acquirer of a copy I’ve heard rumour of fakes though was lead to believe they’re completely black with no residual foil. Does that seem correct from what you saw?

Researching the subject provides very little information.

Yea all the ones he showed me by pics were completely black.  Some had a slight outlining of the red chrome left but most were all black

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Perfect reason to never own one

This is what stopped me from reaquiring one but I do know legit ones do exist as when the book came out, I was in my local card store that sold comics and he pulled one straight from the bundle of comics he had gotten in. If my memory is right he sold it for $20 but this was in 1993 and I was about 8 years old then. I didn’t have the money for one and the red chrome called to me.  So I grabbed the red chrome version that my parents bought for me

Got a slabbed 8.5 error newsstand, one of around 2-3 known to exist... but I'm a Venom diehard and have held on to it for years.  Feels good to own something that rare.

And yup, has the residual red foil. Given the error supply hasn't been increasingly abundant, seems CGC caught on to the fakes.

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=45328&GSub=2893

5 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Got a slabbed 8.5 error newsstand, one of around 2-3 known to exist... but I'm a Venom diehard and have held on to it for years.  Feels good to own something that rare.

And yup, has the residual red foil. Given the error supply hasn't been increasingly abundant, seems CGC caught on to the fakes.

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=45328&GSub=2893

The all black error is an amazing book.   I’m jealous I don’t have one anymore but it’s hard to know which are legit and which are the “fakes”.  I mean technically they are legit books just made to be the black error.  But then there are legit black errors from the printing press.   

On 5/28/2021 at 2:59 PM, rckstr1253 said:

The all black error is an amazing book.   I’m jealous I don’t have one anymore but it’s hard to know which are legit and which are the “fakes”.  I mean technically they are legit books just made to be the black error.  But then there are legit black errors from the printing press.   

It's pretty common knowledge now (has been since the Wizard Magazine days), and long priced in... wouldn't worry too much as long as you're savvy about it.  : ) 

Also see: https://comicbookrealm.com/series/2279/31471/venom-lethal-protector-issue-1counterfeit/1

Edited by exitmusicblue

For anyone who has submitted this book to CGC for slabbing, do you know if they charge for the same price as a regular copy of Venom #1 since it isn't an "official" variant, or do have to pay a premium considering it's value? I'm afraid what happens if you submit under one and it happens to be the other...

On 5/29/2021 at 10:28 PM, The Green Ghost said:

For anyone who has submitted this book to CGC for slabbing, do you know if they charge for the same price as a regular copy of Venom #1 since it isn't an "official" variant, or do have to pay a premium considering it's value? I'm afraid what happens if you submit under one and it happens to be the other...

If you're submitting a black error, you're going to need to be lucky to get it graded for the price of a regular.  There isn't a CGC grade of a legitimate black error worth less than $400 (the limit for Modern grading value).

4 hours ago, valiantman said:

If you're submitting a black error, you're going to need to be lucky to get it graded for the price of a regular.  There isn't a CGC grade of a legitimate black error worth less than $400 (the limit for Modern grading value).

I dont consider a black as an error since it can be replicated.

White all the way

Hi everyone, I am new here. I got into collecting in the 90’s and went pretty crazy for a few years. I just started going back through some of my collection to see what I have. I have the Venom  black error and actually just sent it in today to be graded. I used to wait at the comic shop on the day the deliveries came in to see what was new. I got my copy that day and put it in a bag with backing then sealed it in a hard plastic case. It has never had a page turned on it.  I am curious to see what it comes back at. I also have the gold in the same condition but figure I will see how the grading goes on this one first. Funny thing is even though I collected I never turned a page on any comic I have ever bought. I always just enjoyed looking at the front covers. 

CF1E5E93-7E4F-4633-B86C-7E36FF57CBEB.jpeg

Edited by Neodraker

11 hours ago, Neodraker said:

Hi everyone, I am new here. I got into collecting in the 90’s and went pretty crazy for a few years. I just started going back through some of my collection to see what I have. I have the Venom  black error and actually just sent it in today to be graded. I used to wait at the comic shop on the day the deliveries came in to see what was new. I got my copy that day and put it in a bag with backing then sealed it in a hard plastic case. It has never had a page turned on it.  I am curious to see what it comes back at. I also have the gold in the same condition but figure I will see how the grading goes on this one first. Funny thing is even though I collected I never turned a page on any comic I have ever bought. I always just enjoyed looking at the front covers. 

CF1E5E93-7E4F-4633-B86C-7E36FF57CBEB.jpeg

Welcome to the board!  It sounds like you might have lots of high grade books, but you should know that comic books aren't printed perfectly (since they're printed quickly by machines, bundled, handled, boxed, etc.), so you should expect your CGC grades for books which were bagged and boarded from the very first day to be CGC 9.2 to CGC 9.8, most of the time.

Edited by valiantman

On 7/21/2023 at 7:13 AM, Dam1944 said:

What happens if you submit a comic under the modern tier and cgc determines it is over $400 value.

They bump it up to the proper tier and change you more. Then you pray it doesn't get damaged or lost before it gets back to you, because you won't get full value

Has the CGC ever labeled one of the fake black covers as "counterfeit?"