• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,859 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2021 at 12:32 PM, chrisco37 said:

Okay. Pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody's waiting for it to hit rock bottom so they can buy cheap and go long. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are goin' bat-mess. They're saying, "Hey, we're losing all our money, and Christmas is just around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip, right? And my wife won't f... my wife won't make love to me 'cuz I ain't got no money, right?" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now! I can feel it! They out there!

Pork bellies, which is used to make bacon, which you might find in a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, chrisco37 said:

Okay. Pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody's waiting for it to hit rock bottom so they can buy cheap and go long. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are goin' bat-mess. They're saying, "Hey, we're losing all our money, and Christmas is just around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip, right? And my wife won't f... my wife won't make love to me 'cuz I ain't got no money, right?" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now! I can feel it! They out there!

C05EDF75-DB08-4750-B3F0-BB98E64EAD87.gif

On 12/1/2021 at 1:35 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

You'd be surprised what correlates with the stock market. It's all about disposable income and when stock prices are high so too is disposable income.

Well then please surprise me.  I'd appreciate specifics on any discernible patterns you've observed.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:35 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

You'd be surprised what correlates with the stock market. It's all about disposable income and when stock prices are high so too is disposable income.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

On 12/1/2021 at 3:10 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well then please surprise me.  I'd appreciate specifics on any discernible patterns you've observed.

Us old men have seen much Young Grasshopper, and much that we take as a given is hard for the youngsters to accept, but we know it is true without having formal proof, but if you must then I have 3 supporting items, two formal, one anecdotal.

1) THE STOCK MARKET, HOUSING AND CONSUMER SPENDING: A SURVEY OF THE EVIDENCE ON WEALTH EFFECTS

This paper examines the time-series and micro-econometric evidence on the relationship between stock and house prices and consumer spending. . . . The relationship between wealth and consumer spending appears to be strong. . .

2) The economics of diamond price movements

Prices of investment diamonds have been found to be particularly sensitive to real interest rates, to the value of the exchange rates of the US dollar and, like other gems, to disposable income. The paper also describes and discusses the activity in various diamond markets and the business policy of De Beers, the ‘king’ of the rough diamonds.

3) As a member of a driving club, I can tell you that membership was down in '08, '09 and '17, '18 and is currently at an all time high.

But, not to worry.  This being a free country and all, folks are free to form their own opinions on matters as they see fit.  So if you want to believe comic prices are independent of the current wealth boom created by equities then more power to ya and good hunting!

On 12/2/2021 at 8:27 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Us old men have seen much Young Grasshopper, and much that we take as a given is hard for the youngsters to accept, but we know it is true without having formal proof, but if you must then I have 3 supporting items, two formal, one anecdotal.

1) THE STOCK MARKET, HOUSING AND CONSUMER SPENDING: A SURVEY OF THE EVIDENCE ON WEALTH EFFECTS

2) The economics of diamond price movements

3) As a member of a driving club, I can tell you that membership was down in '08, '09 and '17, '18 and is currently at an all time high.

But, not to worry.  This being a free country and all, folks are free to form their own opinions on matters as they see fit.  So if you want to believe comic prices are independent of the current wealth boom created by equities then more power to ya and good hunting!

Appreciate the response, but why are you being so condescending?

You have no idea how old I am, "grasshopper."  And you have no basis for asserting what I believe.

On 12/2/2021 at 10:04 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Appreciate the response, but why are you being so condescending?

You have no idea how old I am, "grasshopper."  And you have no basis for asserting what I believe.

Sorry if I sound condescending.  Trying to be glib not condescending.  Hard to get intentions across smoothly on the internet.

On 11/14/2021 at 6:15 AM, Motor City Rob said:

This one is interesting. Actually started dropping before the movie hit theatres. Then, the movie absolutely rocked...with Shang Chi planned to have a huge MCU presence for years to come.... and the book continues its free fall.  That really hasn't happened with any key first appearance that also had huge MCU success with the first movie. 

Have you checked the prices for Marvel Super-Heroes 13 with the first appearance of Carol Danvers, with their prices dropping by well more than half from their peak at huge premiums or even multiples of condition guide prior to the release of the Captain Marvel movie.  :gossip:

In the recent Heritage Auction this past Monday, it looks like they sold a CGC 7.0 graded copy at something like only 40% to condition guide.  :whatthe:  :tonofbricks:

13 also dropped in a typical post-movie decline in demand. This was exacerbated by the fact that much of fandom decided they didn’t really like Brie Larsen (“she’s mean”,”she’s too self-important”,”she has no ASSets”, etc.), which seemed to accelerate the decline. Contrast the reaction to Brie Larsen with the reaction to Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, or Letitia Wright in Black Panther, whose character’s key books have all largely held their value.

On 12/2/2021 at 11:40 PM, lou_fine said:

Have you checked the prices for Marvel Super-Heroes 13 with the first appearance of Carol Danvers, with their prices dropping by well more than half from their peak at huge premiums or even multiples of condition guide prior to the release of the Captain Marvel movie.  :gossip:

In the recent Heritage Auction this past Monday, it looks like they sold a CGC 7.0 graded copy at something like only 40% to condition guide.  :whatthe:  :tonofbricks:

ASM Annual 16 as well after WandaVision completed the series. "Oh my gosh! First appearance! :ohnoez:

Rush out and buy it now! :sumo: