• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,859 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 1:07 AM, lou_fine said:

Totally agree with your statement that pensions, especially if they are locked in and guaranteed like how most of them are, can indeed be considered as real investments since they certainly do pay the bills and hence can fund your future retirement.  (thumbsu

Not sure though what you mean by investments being your real investments because that can certainly be a pretty wide umbrella and even include your vintage collectible comic books under there.  hm

I consider my pension, cash, stocks, and home investments.  Comics are a hobby although I have no doubt I’ll be able to sell them for significant money someday

On 5/21/2022 at 9:09 PM, musicmeta said:

Looks like WWBN 32 is sinking in value now that the Moon Knight show has finished season one.   Last GPA sale for 9.4 at $8400.. Down from it's lofty higher values in the 11K range. 

Definitely not any breaking news here, as hasn't this been the historical trend for EVERY SINGLE BOOK that's gone up in value due to movie/TV, or similar related media hype?  hm  (shrug)

On 5/22/2022 at 12:09 AM, musicmeta said:

Looks like WWBN 32 is sinking in value now that the Moon Knight show has finished season one.   Last GPA sale for 9.4 at $8400.. Down from it's lofty higher values in the 11K range. 

I'm ever hopeful that it will sink to $400 so that I may purchase a white pages copy. I also hope to purchase a factory fresh Ferrari 812 Superfast for $25,000.00. :wishluck::blush:

On 5/22/2022 at 8:46 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm ever hopeful that it will sink to $400 so that I may purchase a white pages copy. I also hope to purchase a factory fresh Ferrari 812 Superfast for $25,000.00. :wishluck::blush:

In all seriousness, there are a few 9.4 to 9.6 upgrades that I'm waiting on in the hopes that prices will come back to earth.  WWBN 32 is one, and MS 5 is another.

On 5/22/2022 at 9:23 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

In all seriousness, there are a few 9.4 to 9.6 upgrades that I'm waiting on in the hopes that prices will come back to earth.  WWBN 32 is one, and MS 5 is another.

Would love to pick up a MS#5 in 9.2/9.4 if the prices fall a bit.  Already got the WWBN#32 in 9.4

On 5/23/2022 at 11:10 AM, Troy Division said:

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease
April to May                      1.14% decrease 

What does your top 50 books predominantly look like, SA, BA,Copper, HG, mid grade?

On 5/22/2022 at 10:23 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

As do I because, as I've noted previously, I am unwilling to pay the "current" prices for some of the comic books I would like to add to my long-term collection. Unfortunately for me, others appear very (perhaps, more than) wiling to pay them. Of course, that has always been the case for me concerning CGC graded comic books. Thankfully, being "cheap," if you would, frequently paid off as I was able to acquire many keys, semi-keys, and even books to add to a run at often far less than previous sale prices (as have countless other posters on this board). However, I did overpay for some Tec issues but, at least for now, all are worth a "bit" more than I paid for them.

Have to wonder if crypto being down may impact things more than inflation, etc. (which is not necessarily bad for this stuff, but if borrowing costs go up that is an issue), seems like crypto speculators and comic speculators may have some overlap

On 5/22/2022 at 9:54 PM, Microchip said:

What does your top 50 books predominantly look like, SA, BA,Copper, HG, mid grade?

Great question.

Signature Series - 38
Universal - 11
Raw - 1

Golden Age - 1
Silver Age - 3
Bronze Age - 5
Copper Age - 15
Modern Age - 26

Looking at the decreases I can pinpoint some hot books 'correcting'.
Such as:
Ultimate Fallout #4
Sandman #1
Amazing Spider-Man #300
Incredible Hulk #340

On 5/24/2022 at 11:48 AM, Troy Division said:

Great question.

Signature Series - 38
Universal - 11
Raw - 1

Golden Age - 1
Silver Age - 3
Bronze Age - 5
Copper Age - 15
Modern Age - 26

Looking at the decreases I can pinpoint some hot books 'correcting'.
Such as:
Ultimate Fallout #4
Sandman #1
Amazing Spider-Man #300
Incredible Hulk #340

Thanks for that.

The books correcting are all big population books.   Do you see any other factors aside from general appeal as a factor for the correction.  Other books moving into the line-light, the end in a peak of price rises,  Thats a pretty diverse group right there.

On 5/22/2022 at 12:09 AM, musicmeta said:

that's crazy because it looks like a no brainer for a season 2, but I worry that marvel/disney+ are suh perfectionists it will take forever. for netflix they cranked those seasons out.

Edited by the blob

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February           .40% increase
February to March            2.05% increase
March to April                   4.07% decrease
April to May                      1.14% decrease
May to June                        .01% decrease