• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,929 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2023 at 7:40 PM, dikran said:

All kidding aside, the people buying these books are not “us”: ham and eggers with mortgages working 9-5 and love comics. They’re either dealers/auction houses or stratospherically rich dudes/bros (who play by rules I can’t even imagine…), so good for them but tracking these books makes no sense to me. The health of the market is not the headliners, it’s how quickly you can move a bunch 100$-1000$ books at a decent price to get something “good”. 2c

I understand what you are saying, but the values of the high grade books affect the values of lower graded books.  So if the values are going down on a high grade Fantastic Four #48, they are probably going down on a 2.0 copy as well, and if the prices are dropping on a key issue like FF #48, they are probably dropping on the other issues as well.

Personally, I'm finding it interesting to chronicle the wild swings in value in the last couple of years, which HAS to be having a ripple effect throughout the market.  IH #181 in a 9.0 has gone from a low of $4560 in 2019 to a high of $15158 in 2021 and now back down to a low of $7350 near the end of 2022.

On 1/13/2023 at 11:00 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I understand what you are saying, but the values of the high grade books affect the values of lower graded books.  So if the values are going down on a high grade Fantastic Four #48, they are probably going down on a 2.0 copy as well, and if the prices are dropping on a key issue like FF #48, they are probably dropping on the other issues as well.

Personally, I'm finding it interesting to chronicle the wild swings in value in the last couple of years, which HAS to be having a ripple effect throughout the market.  IH #181 in a 9.0 has gone from a low of $4560 in 2019 to a high of $15158 in 2021 and now back down to a low of $7350 near the end of 2022.

That’s where I disagree… a 9.6-9.8 SA key has a VERY limited pool of buyers I don’t see how that’ll affect prices on a 5.0 where there are 1000’s of potential buyers. There is a definite disconnect between the tippy top books and the stuff we mortals can afford. I’d be more inclined to believe the opposite, a high on a mid grade can more positively affect higher grades than the reverse. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:00 PM, dikran said:

That’s where I disagree… a 9.6-9.8 SA key has a VERY limited pool of buyers I don’t see how that’ll affect prices on a 5.0 where there are 1000’s of potential buyers. There is a definite disconnect between the tippy top books and the stuff we mortals can afford. I’d be more inclined to believe the opposite, a high on a mid grade can more positively affect higher grades than the reverse. 

I think it is all interconnected.  For this discussion, I'm not really looking for the drivers of value, but where the market is headed.  I don't really care which came first, all I know is the data available to me says the chicken AND the egg or both losing value.

On 1/14/2023 at 4:12 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I think it is all interconnected.  For this discussion, I'm not really looking for the drivers of value, but where the market is headed.  I don't really care which came first, all I know is the data available to me says the chicken AND the egg or both losing value.

On that we can both agree lol:foryou:

tracking these books makes no sense to me. 

Thank you!  I was worried I was the only one who felt this way.  I want to know what is happening to the price of comics on my want list.  Not $1M books.  Doesn't affect me in the least.

Batman comic sgd by Conroy , Hamill & Sorkin went for 1500......its nice but i still wouldnt pay THAT much for it  

"stratospherically rich dudes"

Kjell Inge Røkke is a norwegian fishing industry tycoon , difference is nobody gave him the money into his lap like with some , he worked very hard to get where he is today , working on trawlers as a kid etc

ive heard Heritage isnt on the up and up , alleged fraud with sealed video games for ex

Edited by postersandstuff

Back in '84 they made a Phantom radio cassette tape ("Fantomets nærradio") , anyway a sealed copy sold for 400$.....sounds like a lot as P isnt as popular as he once was , its extremely rare to find sealed tho

(its on youtube , too....he he)

On 11/22/2022 at 6:11 PM, Roger66 said:

but greed ended Skeletors "career" (he had already defeated HM in the movie) , Max Zorin (he was already rich) & Hitler (already conquered lots of Europe......but noooo , that wasnt enough :P

Got the Batman 60s puppet theatre (unused) for 1300 , a great deal.....its not all about the $ tho , its great nostalgia

Joker puppet alone can go for 800 , not bad 

All kidding aside, the people buying these books are not “us”: ham and eggers with mortgages working 9-5 and love comics. They’re either dealers/auction houses or stratospherically rich dudes/bros (who play by rules I can’t even imagine…), so good for them but tracking these books makes no sense to me. The health of the market is not the headliners, it’s how quickly you can move a bunch 100$-1000$ books at a decent price to get something “good”. 2c

The health of the market has been very strong since November 2022 for $100 - $1000 books on eBay. Numerous other boardies have posted the same. I am getting new GPA all time highs on some sales so I wonder if the bottom may be starting to set. It is sad to say, but eBay has been getting better prices than my Clink submissions the past few months. :frustrated:

Edited by kimik

On 1/15/2023 at 2:58 AM, kimik said:

It is sad to say, but eBay has been getting better prices than my Clink submissions the past few months. :frustrated:

I had my first Comiclink submissions in a long time in late October/November.  Three key books and all fetched terrible prices. :facepalm:

Very disappointed and apparently terrible timing. 😵

On 1/15/2023 at 4:34 AM, Norrin_Radd said:
On 1/15/2023 at 12:58 AM, kimik said:

It is sad to say, but eBay has been getting better prices than my Clink submissions the past few months. :frustrated:

I had my first Comiclink submissions in a long time in late October/November.  Three key books and all fetched terrible prices. :facepalm:

Yeah, ComicLink is on the downswing right now. I have a bunch of books in the January that they did not auction in the fall, and some in March. If the January prices are still weaker than GPA or eBay, I will not be consigning any more with them until I see their prices starting to improve. While I try to have some books in each auction, I am fine doing the extra work with eBay if the sale prices are 25%+ higher.

On 1/15/2023 at 6:34 AM, Norrin_Radd said:

yep, used CL for the first time, and I'll never make that mistake again