• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2023 at 8:38 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Somebody (or rather multiple somebodies) went nuts.

I was bidding on two 9.6 WPs, and I got one of them (#98) for a good price but the other (#100) went for nearly 3x FMV.  Part of me wonders if somebody thought it was another 9.8.  lol

Was hoping you would win both when I saw them.

On 1/22/2023 at 5:25 PM, VintageComics said:

The reason X-men keys have dropped is because everyone was expecting a massive announcement at SD last year. 

When that didn't happen, the market backed off. Why? Because some people only bought to hold for the short to medium turn. Not everyone can hold indefinitely. 

But you KNOW it's coming. Disney didn't spend $90BIllion to put them on a shelf. 

When those announcements come everything Mutant will go nuclear again. 

And people with deep pockets know this and are buying the dips. 

So it ever was. So it shall be. 

Well, X-Men #1 in 2.0 was my example because that was a book that was within my reach pre-pandemic, that I was hoping I could afford when I came back to comics last year.  I don't think this drop is exclusive to X-Men books.  Did you see DC#'s update the other day.  Red across the board.

On 1/22/2023 at 8:49 PM, Rob said:

Well, X-Men #1 in 2.0 was my example because that was a book that was within my reach pre-pandemic, that I was hoping I could afford when I came back to comics last year.  I don't think this drop is exclusive to X-Men books.  Did you see DC#'s update the other day.  Red across the board.

Agreed. These price corrections are happening to almost all big keys in almost all grades.

On 1/22/2023 at 8:49 PM, Rob said:

Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing you. Just meant to add to your thoughts. :smile:

Sure. Some books are dropping more than others. 

The books that went up fast and hard are coming down fast and hard. Books that stayed stable are still stable. 

X-men #1 rose sharper and faster than most books so it seemed due to over correct. 

But X-men run books for example are more stable because they didn't rise as quickly. They are selling well and prices are reasonable stable from what I've seen. 

My point was really geared towards the steep rise for X-men keys like #1, #94 and GSX #1 which went up hard and pulled back a bit. Pretty sure those key books will rebound in the same way AF #15 popped around 2017, pulled back a bit and then went off to new heights again.

Don't take my word as Gospel though. This isn't investment advice. Just my opinion based on what I've seen over and over. 

I just don't see X-men #1 or GSX #1 going back down to 2019 levels again personally, although I could be wrong. 

I don't follow stats much but isn't it Marvel's most popular franchise?

In fact, I see them pushing the franchise as it embodies Marvel's new "PC" outlook on everything. 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:55 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Serious question, why does Nick Fury #1 fetch such low prices compared to the other 1968 #1s?  It's never made much sense to me.  For that matter, Strange Tales #135 doesn't get that much love either.

Can it really be because they cast Samuel L. Jackson in the MCU instead of a white dude?

If there were actually legions of moviegoers who became comic collectors, this could have some influence, with the character barely resembling the one they know.

But the real answer is even simpler. Nick Fury is not a popular character. He can't carry a series. That title lasted only 18 issues. His next (and final ongoing series) managed to get cancelled at the height of the 90s boom after only 47 issues. If you think Nick Fury 1 is low now, imagine where it would be if Steranko hadn't been involved!

On 1/22/2023 at 9:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

If there were actually legions of moviegoers who became comic collectors, this could have some influence, with the character barely resembling the one they know.

But the real answer is even simpler. Nick Fury is not a popular character. He can't carry a series. That title lasted only 18 issues. His next (and final ongoing series) managed to get cancelled at the height of the 90s boom after only 47 issues. If you think Nick Fury 1 is low now, imagine where it would be if Steranko hadn't been involved!

It certainly went into the dumpster after Jim left.

On 1/23/2023 at 1:44 PM, VintageComics said:

Are the 9.0/9.2 grades pushing up or is the 9.4 grade pulling down?

9.2 is the new 9.4.

I've been noticing it as well, very strong 9.0/9.2 sales results in relation to 9.4 values.

I previously was putting it down to price ceilings.   Where guys are happy to bid aggressively on a book to ceiling point in their price bracket.   If 9.4 copy of the same book sits outside of that ceiling, the ratio of prices between the grades becomes irrelevant for these guys.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Hmmm ... without disagreeing with anything you've said, at least some of this could also be said for Silver Surfer's 18-issue run or Doctor Strange's 15-issue run.  But again, I don't dispute that Nick Fury is less popular than either of those two characters in the bigger scheme of things.

And I don't think it's so much about moviegoers becoming comic collectors as it is about comic speculators being so responsive to MCU news and rumors.

I could probably have made a similar point about another 1968 sort-of #1, Marvel Super-Heroes #12, whose FMV is lower than #13 because the original Mar-Vell isn't in the MCU (and likely never will be) but Carol Danvers is.  Those two are more completely different characters than 616 Fury and Utlimates Fury, but there's a somewhat similar pattern.

On 1/22/2023 at 7:07 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 1/22/2023 at 6:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

Hmmm ... without disagreeing with anything you've said, at least some of this could also be said for Silver Surfer's 18-issue run or Doctor Strange's 15-issue run.  But again, I don't dispute that Nick Fury is less popular than either of those two characters in the bigger scheme of things.

And I don't think it's so much about moviegoers becoming comic collectors as it is about comic speculators being so responsive to MCU news and rumors.

I could probably have made a similar point about another 1968 sort-of #1, Marvel Super-Heroes #12, whose FMV is lower than #13 because the original Mar-Vell isn't in the MCU (and likely never will be) but Carol Danvers is.  Those two are more completely different characters than 616 Fury and Utlimates Fury, but there's a somewhat similar pattern.

rantrantrantrantI can't believe the movies have any affect at all, outside of the flippers selling to flippers selling to flippers, ad nauseam scenario, which the hobby seems to be stuck in. Marvel makes some really terrible movies. I haven't seen half of them, as most of the ones I've seen are just garbage. Sure, there were some good ones, but I can count them on one hand.
No, no, I get it. But this just isn't happening in my world. rantrantrantrant I guess I need an ostrich graemlin. :sorry: 

On 1/23/2023 at 1:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

All true, but there is a 9.9 of NF#1 that is noteworthy.

Interestingly, it trails the 9.9 of Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 and Iron Man #1 by a considerable margin.

Screenshot_20230123-170448_Chrome.jpg

On 1/19/2023 at 5:07 PM, VintageComics said:

These are some of my Clnk results. I erased one book which I wanted to keep private. 

But the rest of results are all in a ballpark where they should be with some going a bit cheap, some in the middle and a few even breaking records..

The FF #74 went nuts and set a record. I couldn't sell it at 2/3 the price in a fixed price format. 

The FF #58 went about 10% cheap, as did the Nick Fury #1 but they had OWW to pages so I expected that. 

The ASM #1 GRR went just a hair under the last GPA (it also had OWW pages)

Had they been White pagers they would have gone nuts I'm sure. 

The IF #14 was White pager but a book was ready to discount thinking the market was dropping a few months ago. Had a boardie I was talking to about and he ended up not pulling the trigger. Glad he didn't. It went for a crazy price on Clink. Ditto to the FF #74, couldn't move this book for the life of me and it goes nuts at auction. 

The DD #7 went really cheap. Someone got a steal on that book as it looked like a NM copy. 

The X-men 9.8s went a bit cheap compared to GPA but all in the $3000 range where I expect mid 1960's X-men to be.

So that's my snap shot in time. 

289423193_Comiclnkresults.thumb.png.9e8535194e2790a0ec950986b9492fca.png

FF#74 is the "budget friendlier" version of 49 (I've always thought).  Similar color scheme with both Galactus & Surfer on the cover.  With 49 out of reach for many collectors nowadays, some people probably gravitating to 74.  

Fantastic Four (1961) #49 | Comic Issues | Marvel

Fantastic Four (1961) #74 | Comic Issues | Marvel