• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,859 posts in this topic

On 1/22/2023 at 8:08 PM, g-man said:

$11.4k for asm 106 cgc 9.8…I will admit it’s a sweet copy but :whatthe:

I was one of the crazies battling for that book. There are only 13 in 9.8 and most I've seen either have OW/W pages, bad centering, or both. That is without question the most gorgeous copy I've seen of ASM 106.

I think I cast the penultimate bid on the book but when the lead bidder came back AGAIN, I simply couldn't cross the psychological barrier of $10k before the Buyer's Premium. Congrats to the winner for adding a gorgeous book to his collection and for having the steely nerves to ride that rocket all the way up to $11,400!

(I didn't get the book, but on the bright side, I will probably stay married another year. xD )

On 1/19/2023 at 2:07 PM, VintageComics said:

The ASM #1 GRR went just a hair under the last GPA (it also had OWW pages)

Hey Roy;

Did this copy of the ASM 1 GRR come with the record or was it just the comic book on its own without the record?  hm

Just wondering if they are worth more with the record if it's still sealed, and if so, how would CGC then be able to grade the book then?  ???

Especially since in the rest of the collectibles world, a sealed collectible is always worth much more than an opened collectible.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/22/2023 at 5:32 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Why does the 106 sell for that price but the 97 only goes for $2K?

Why are you asking us the question when you give us the answer right away in your next sentence:  :ohnoez:

On 1/22/2023 at 5:32 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Only thing I see right away is that there are 44 9.8s of the 97 but only 13 of the 106.  

This actually reminds me of the Iron Man 30 when the only CGC 9.8 copy in the entire universe at the time sold in a CC auction for some $15K back in 2016:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/689571

iro1.5897a.jpg

All I can say is that since there are now 6 copies in CGC 9.8, I just hope that the subsequent sales for them helped to reinforce that initial $15K purchase price for the buyer like it should, but I somehow strongly doubt it.  hm  (shrug)

On 1/23/2023 at 11:23 AM, VintageComics said:

I never thought of it that way, esp since #72 has a WAY BETTER Surfer cover

On 1/23/2023 at 11:28 AM, chrisco37 said:

72 is definitely THE cover.   

On 1/23/2023 at 4:56 PM, Microchip said:

#72 has been hot for a while.   The high grades are hotly chased.   Everything from a 9.0 is going for solid money.   There's just too few copies floating around.

Absolutely love this drop dead gorgeous red Surfer cover and even to the point that I actually ended up bidding and winning a copy for one of the very few Marvel slabs in my collection.  :luhv:   :takeit:

On 1/23/2023 at 4:11 PM, Microchip said:

I can't recall whether Doug said it was the NF#1, or the FF #55 9.9 would only grade out as a 9.8 if subbed today... I think it was the FF #55.

How about the CGC 9.9 graded copy of Hulk 181, as rumors have it that it would have a tough time even getting into the 9's with its now severe and possibly not completely fixable case of SCS damage?  :cry:   :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/24/2023 at 3:23 AM, lou_fine said:

Hey Roy;

Did this copy of the ASM 1 GRR come with the record or was it just the comic book on its own without the record?  hm

Just wondering if they are worth more with the record if it's still sealed, and if so, how would CGC then be able to grade the book then?  ???

Especially since in the rest of the collectibles world, a sealed collectible is always worth much more than an opened collectible.  (shrug)

It was just the comic. The comic is always worth more graded, without the record since records aren't certified. 

On 1/24/2023 at 9:43 AM, VintageComics said:

It was just the comic. The comic is always worth more graded, without the record since records aren't certified. 

So, if I have a sealed record for one of these GRR, it should still hopefully carry some extra value if I certify the comic PLUS include the record as part of the same lot.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, Off Panel said:

There are only 13 in 9.8 and most I've seen either have OW/W pages, bad centering, or both. That is without question the most gorgeous copy I've seen of ASM 106.

Did you look at only the 9.8's to make this determination or did you also take into consideration the 9.6 graded copies?  hm

Especially since there are a lot more 9.6's (i.e. 34 graded copies) and as we all know here, grading is really nothing more than a subjective opinion, albeit a so-called expert one, when the book crosses a grader's table.  As such, grading can be influenced by a lot of factors and is still really more of an art than an exact science.  Probably the reason why we see some CGC 9.6's that presents just as nice, if not nicer than some of the slightly off-center CGC 9.8's.  (shrug)

On 1/24/2023 at 2:25 PM, lou_fine said:

Did you look at only the 9.8's to make this determination or did you also take into consideration the 9.6 graded copies?  hm

To your point, most of the 9.6 copies of the book I have seen online look nicer than the 9.8s. While I agree that grading is subjective and the difference between the 9.6 and a 9.8 may have just been the grader having a good/bad day, I tell myself that I might see more flaws on the 9.6 if I had the book in hand.

On 1/24/2023 at 12:54 PM, lou_fine said:

So, if I have a sealed record for one of these GRR, it should still hopefully carry some extra value if I certify the comic PLUS include the record as part of the same lot.  hm

The GRR never excited me and I've always been surprised to see the demand for them. 

However,  owning one with the record would be very cool.  Of course, I would need to buy a record player lol. 

On 1/24/2023 at 7:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Why are you asking us the question when you give us the answer right away in your next sentence:  :ohnoez:

This actually reminds me of the Iron Man 30 when the only CGC 9.8 copy in the entire universe at the time sold in a CC auction for some $15K back in 2016:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/689571

iro1.5897a.jpg

All I can say is that since there are now 6 copies in CGC 9.8, I just hope that the subsequent sales for them helped to reinforce that initial $15K purchase price for the buyer like it should, but I somehow strongly doubt it.  hm  (shrug)

While not as bad, it reminds me of the time in 2015 when someone paid 6K for Captain Savage and his Leatherneck Raiders #1. Yes, it is Rocky Mountain Pedigree but this was 2015 and the demand would be almost non-existant...:shiftyeyes:

While I know plenty of segments of the market were popping and receding before and CGC books were there I own thing, I really feel like the run we were on until not that long ago started in late 2011 when all these image books were getting hot (thank you walking dead, mostly, for getting that started). It was the first time ever that I would go to a shop and buy books off the rack and with some frequency turn them into $10-20+ sales or more. While I had been doing ebay as a side hustle since 1999 or so, a lot of that was simply selling stuff bought years earlier for a profit, this was buying and flipping in short order and the first time in a while it was pretty easy to do that with a big swath of new books. This probably brought in a new wave of "junior dealers" and baby investors doing the same and with the movie/TV hype it just kept on going for a decade. 2020/2021 stimi checks no doubt helped percolate things even more, but we had been on a nice run before that. A 10 year run is a nice run, like interest rates were super low for so long, I guess it is back to reality for a bit. I don't know if the people who came in are out after they saw compound huge returns were not automatic, I dunno. I hope it comes back, but the ridiculosity of 2020/2021 was probably unhealthy enough we shouldn't go back there. 2017-2019 was good.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:07 PM, lou_fine said:

How about the CGC 9.9 graded copy of Hulk 181, as rumors have it that it would have a tough time even getting into the 9's with its now severe and possibly not completely fixable case of SCS damage?  :cry:   :tonofbricks:

Don't open that can of worms.  Your right from a visual perspective, but from a few other perspectives, people are more willing to stand by the 9.9 book.    It's already a shining grail out there in the comic-verse.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:19 PM, the blob said:

While I know plenty of segments of the market were popping and receding before and CGC books were there I own thing, I really feel like the run we were on until not that long ago started in late 2011 when all these image books were getting hot (thank you walking dead, mostly, for getting that started). It was the first time ever that I would go to a shop and buy books off the rack and with some frequency turn them into $10-20+ sales or more. While I had been doing ebay as a side hustle since 1999 or so, a lot of that was simply selling stuff bought years earlier for a profit, this was buying and flipping in short order and the first time in a while it was pretty easy to do that with a big swath of new books. This probably brought in a new wave of "junior dealers" and baby investors doing the same and with the movie/TV hype it just kept on going for a decade. 2020/2021 stimi checks no doubt helped percolate things even more, but we had been on a nice run before that. A 10 year run is a nice run, like interest rates were super low for so long, I guess it is back to reality for a bit. I don't know if the people who came in are out after they saw compound huge returns were not automatic, I dunno. I hope it comes back, but the ridiculosity of 2020/2021 was probably unhealthy enough we shouldn't go back there. 2017-2019 was good.

I agree completely. I miss the free and easy market we had for so many years. People lost their minds during COVID. While I obviously want to one day realize a good price on gems such as IH #181, GX # 1 etc, I for one won't lament a drop in price on MCU-driven first appearances etc.

On 1/25/2023 at 6:47 AM, World Devourer said:

I agree completely. I miss the free and easy market we had for so many years. People lost their minds during COVID. While I obviously want to one day realize a good price on gems such as IH #181, GX # 1 etc, I for one won't lament a drop in price on MCU-driven first appearances etc.

You're in luck...sales of just about every Marvel Silver and Bronze Age key are down 30%+ from their COVID peak last year, some even more. The rarer the book (either overall or in grade) the less the drop, but mid-grade keys like AF 15, X-men 1, ToS 39, etc.,. are bargains right now compared to this time last year. (thumbsu

On 1/25/2023 at 3:47 AM, World Devourer said:

He's even luckier than that and should really be jumping for joy then since he was specifically referring to the Marvel BA keys such as HG gems like Hulk 181 and GSXM 1 which have dropped by some 50% or more from their Covid peak.  :banana::whee:

On 1/25/2023 at 3:32 AM, Microchip said:
On 1/24/2023 at 4:07 AM, lou_fine said:

Don't open that can of worms.  Your right from a visual perspective, but from a few other perspectives, people are more willing to stand by the 9.9 book.    It's already a shining grail out there in the comic-verse.

It’s not a 9.9 

It’s a lesser book with a 9.9 label. 

I guess if one doesn’t know about the SCS, it would be a shining grail.  As it sits now....it’s more a SCS tragedy. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 1/25/2023 at 11:24 PM, drbanner said:

You're in luck...sales of just about every Marvel Silver and Bronze Age key are down 30%+ from their COVID peak last year, some even more. The rarer the book (either overall or in grade) the less the drop, but mid-grade keys like AF 15, X-men 1, ToS 39, etc.,. are bargains right now compared to this time last year. (thumbsu

A good time to get in before the next surge (IH #181 has done it twice now, with a few years gap). 

In my opinion, the bronze and copper age books are undervalued. So many great books and storylines that have largely been ignored for the past thirty/fourty years or so. Most books in those categories are still extremely affordable but not as easily found as they once were. I think once the availability becomes more scarce that those books are poised to slowly gain value, just an opinion though..

On 1/26/2023 at 6:09 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s not a 9.9 

It’s a lesser book with a 9.9 label. 

I guess if one doesn’t know about the SCS, it would be a shining grail.  As it sits now....it’s more a SCS tragedy. 

I totally agree, but no one is going to take the $150,000 hit of a downgrade to a 9.8, assuming a press can remedy the issue.   Personally it would bug the hell out of me, even if the money wasn't a concern.  

Maybe a deal to press, and reslab the book under a ME submission can be struck with CGC (shrug)