• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2023 at 7:44 PM, Parabellum said:

Maybe it’s just me but the corners don’t look that sharp.  Also is that a spine tick to the left of the black arrow “He’s here….”?

If this book was posted in the spare a grade area with that bottom left corner, I wouldn't give it a 9.6. 

Agree that it looks like a spine tic, but I can only assume it isn't if it got a 9.9. 

On 1/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, g-man said:

RAD176E720101223_12568 (1).jpg

My biggest issue with this is actually the transparency of the cover (when you see the printing on the inside cover). It doesn’t seem to affect the grade but the experts can chime in. I do not have a good sense of what books will be graded, etc. 

I have owned a few books with bad transparency. X1 is notorious for it. But people don’t seem to care and I don’t get that. If you have one of these books in front of you, it’s hard to appreciate the book when the see-through of the inside cover advertising is so visible and prominent. 

Just curious about other people’s views on that… 

On 1/27/2023 at 7:44 PM, Parabellum said:

Maybe it’s just me but the corners don’t look that sharp.  Also is that a spine tick to the left of the black arrow “He’s here….”?

It looks like an "11.0, Mint Plus Plus" to me. :wink:

On 1/28/2023 at 5:46 AM, WNY said:

My biggest issue with this is actually the transparency of the cover (when you see the printing on the inside cover). It doesn’t seem to affect the grade but the experts can chime in. I do not have a good sense of what books will be graded, etc. 

I have owned a few books with bad transparency. X1 is notorious for it. But people don’t seem to care and I don’t get that. If you have one of these books in front of you, it’s hard to appreciate the book when the see-through of the inside cover advertising is so visible and prominent. 

Just curious about other people’s views on that… 

The transparency is caused by the microchamber paper.

I was schooled on this when I first got to this site and complained about it.

On 1/28/2023 at 10:09 AM, lizards2 said:

Agree - but they all have microchamber paper and some are way more transparent than others. Feels like the original paper was thinner or that it has been worn down somehow over the years. But it takes away a lot of eye appeal for me when there is meaningful transparency. 

On 1/28/2023 at 7:15 AM, WNY said:
On 1/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, lizards2 said:

Agree - but they all have microchamber paper and some are way more transparent than others. Feels like the original paper was thinner or that it has been worn down somehow over the years. But it takes away a lot of eye appeal for me when there is meaningful transparency. 

No, no they don't all have microchamber placed between the cover and the interior pages. I have cracked out over 400+ books, and the microchamber can be one, two or zero pages per book. CGC began placing microchamber back a couple pages inside the books, particularly DCs, because (I believe) they were popping so many staples in the encapsulation process.

You can test this out yourself by scanning one of your own books without microchamber paper, and then scanning again wtih microchamber placed between the cover and the interior pages. 

Edited by lizards2

On 1/28/2023 at 10:18 AM, lizards2 said:

No, no they don't all have microchamber placed between the cover and the interior pages. I have cracked out over 400+ books, and the microchamber can be one, two or zero pages per book. CGC began placing microchamber back a couple pages inside the books, particularly DCs, because (I believe) they were popping so many staples in the encapsulation process.

You can test this out yourself by scanning one of your own books without microchamber paper, and then scanning again wtih microchamber placed between the cover and the interior pages. 

Interesting. Learn something new everyday. I thought they all had microchamber paper especially all the modern label ones… I’ve never cracked a case so don’t have that perspective.

But their website explicitly says they put microchamber paper in all the books that they grade and is part of what they are saying is their value-add and why their encapsulation process is designed to “last for generations”.  

Unless they are lying, then a significant majority of new label books should have microchamber paper and therefore the transparency issue still stands, no? 

On 1/28/2023 at 9:11 AM, WNY said:

Interesting. Learn something new everyday. I thought they all had microchamber paper especially all the modern label ones… I’ve never cracked a case so don’t have that perspective.

But their website explicitly says they put microchamber paper in all the books that they grade and is part of what they are saying is their value-add and why their encapsulation process is designed to “last for generations”.  

Unless they are lying, then a significant majority of new label books should have microchamber paper and therefore the transparency issue still stands, no? 

I am not sure they are lying so much as they have not updated their website?

If I remember correctly, the old ones all had microchamber between the covers and the interior pages. As you get into the newer cases, that is where you find the variation. I have definitely cracked several with no microchamber paper at all.

I kind of notice that stuff, because most of my normal-sized books that I put into M2s and Fullbacks, I put three pieces of microchamber paper in, usually one between each cover front and back, then one in the center. The 64 page giants, or any stinky book, I will put 5 to 7 or maybe more in. I thought the microchamber paper might draw out some of the stink, but so far, I haven't noticed any mitigation. 

On 1/27/2023 at 10:52 PM, KCOComics said:

If this book was posted in the spare a grade area with that bottom left corner, I wouldn't give it a 9.6. 

Agree that it looks like a spine tic, but I can only assume it isn't if it got a 9.9. 

I've been buying lots of 9.6s and the truth is, most of them have at least one corner with imperfections like what you see there.  Sometimes it's clear that there's a bend or fold that likely happened during / post encapsulation, but only sometimes.

On 1/28/2023 at 12:27 PM, lizards2 said:

I am not sure they are lying so much as they have not updated their website?

If I remember correctly, the old ones all had microchamber between the covers and the interior pages. As you get into the newer cases, that is where you find the variation. I have definitely cracked several with no microchamber paper at all.

I kind of notice that stuff, because most of my normal-sized books that I put into M2s and Fullbacks, I put three pieces of microchamber paper in, usually one between each cover front and back, then one in the center. The 64 page giants, or any stinky book, I will put 5 to 7 or maybe more in. I thought the microchamber paper might draw out some of the stink, but so far, I haven't noticed any mitigation. 

Stinky books? 

On 1/28/2023 at 10:21 AM, WNY said:

Stinky books? 

Mothballs and other substances.

FlamingTelepath sold off a collection that just reeked about 10-12  years ago. I recently upgraded one of them, and when I took that book out of the bag, I knew immediately where that book came from. I ended up throwing out the M2, Fullback and microchamber paper, as all of it just reeked. I think the books were enclosed somewhere with mothballs to keep the bugs away from them.

On 1/28/2023 at 2:20 PM, lizards2 said:

Mothballs and other substances.

FlamingTelepath sold off a collection that just reeked about 10-12  years ago. I recently upgraded one of them, and when I took that book out of the bag, I knew immediately where that book came from. I ended up throwing out the M2, Fullback and microchamber paper, as all of it just reeked. I think the books were enclosed somewhere with mothballs to keep the bugs away from them.

Ah,  so did the notes specify SLB?  Smells Like Balls?  Could be worse,  could be the dreaded SLA code - Smells Like A