• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,859 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2023 at 5:45 AM, Westy Steve said:

IMHO, the market softness (Which I feel is firming) Is closely associated with the rarity of the books.

Exactly right, especially since FOMO which from a rational POV never should have been in the marketplace for most books is now gone. (thumbsu

Absolutely no reason to bid high on books that you know will continue to show up in all grades in future auctions going forward.  On the other hand, you better bid higher on those HTF books that you probably won't be seeing in any grade possibly for years to come.  hm

Not sure what you mean here by "firming" though?  Are you saying that the softness in the marketplace is firming up and getting stronger or are you saying the marketplace is starting to firm back up?  (shrug)

On 1/24/2023 at 12:41 AM, lou_fine said:

Why are you asking us the question when you give us the answer right away in your next sentence:  :ohnoez:

This actually reminds me of the Iron Man 30 when the only CGC 9.8 copy in the entire universe at the time sold in a CC auction for some $15K back in 2016:  :whatthe:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/689571

iro1.5897a.jpg

All I can say is that since there are now 6 copies in CGC 9.8, I just hope that the subsequent sales for them helped to reinforce that initial $15K purchase price for the buyer like it should, but I somehow strongly doubt it.  hm  (shrug)

You're making an assumption that $15K is a meaningful amount of money to the buyer of this book. It probably isn't. There are people that throw down $100K at a club in Vegas for a night of bottle service without blinking an eye. There are people in the comic hobby to whom $15K is pocket change and more than worth finishing a 9.8 set that they are working on. Don't know about you but I'd rather drop $15K on a comic book that will subsequently be worth $500 than $100K on a night of debauchery in a Vegas club.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:56 PM, LordRahl said:

You're making an assumption that $15K is a meaningful amount of money to the buyer of this book. It probably isn't. There are people that throw down $100K at a club in Vegas for a night of bottle service without blinking an eye. There are people in the comic hobby to whom $15K is pocket change and more than worth finishing a 9.8 set that they are working on. Don't know about you but I'd rather drop $15K on a comic book that will subsequently be worth $500 than $100K on a night of debauchery in a Vegas club.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  As with any collectibles industry there is a pyramid of buyers that as the price goes up the pool gets smaller.  

Yes $15K is a meaningful amount of money but in a hot market $15K looks like $1500 when you are turning that money over quickly.  

When the market is slow it looks like a museum piece

On 2/1/2023 at 11:35 AM, lou_fine said:

Exactly right, especially since FOMO which from a rational POV never should have been in the marketplace for most books is now gone. (thumbsu

Absolutely no reason to bid high on books that you know will continue to show up in all grades in future auctions going forward.  On the other hand, you better bid higher on those HTF books that you probably won't be seeing in any grade possibly for years to come.  hm

Not sure what you mean here by "firming" though?  Are you saying that the softness in the marketplace is firming up and getting stronger or are you saying the marketplace is starting to firm back up?  (shrug)

I feel that the rate of descent, which is more visible in the more common material, is slowing. I thing there is the beginning of a “Fear of missing Bottom”. (FOMB). 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:03 AM, blazingbob said:

I'm not sure I agree with that.  As with any collectibles industry there is a pyramid of buyers that as the price goes up the pool gets smaller.  

Yes $15K is a meaningful amount of money but in a hot market $15K looks like $1500 when you are turning that money over quickly.  

When the market is slow it looks like a museum piece

That is a relative statement. $15K is a meaningful amount of money to you and I. It isn't to someone that can afford to drop 6 figures on a night of drinking and partying. 

On 2/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, LordRahl said:

There was no presumption made. He outright says it's a meaningful amount of money.

I am just joking around.

Hey while I have your attention, can you or @lou_fine maybe invest a moment in putting an avatar on your profile?  I want to make sure I can tell you apart, right now you're just a couple of big L's.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:56 AM, LordRahl said:

All I can say is that since there are now 6 copies in CGC 9.8, I just hope that the subsequent sales for them helped to reinforce that initial $15K purchase price for the buyer like it should, but I somehow strongly doubt it.  hm  (shrug)

I am actually NOT presuming anything at all about the buyer, as I was really talking more about the book itself and the price paid for it.  (thumbsu

Of course there are potential buyers for books at $15K where this kind of money is nothing more than loose pocket change to them.  I am just referring to the fact that since there are now many more copies of this book in the same equivalent CGC 9.8 grade, I hope like most vintage collectible comic books here, the subsequent sale of these additional copies when they do come to market, only helps to reinforce the $15K purchase price which the buyer had paid for the original first 9.8 graded copy and the value of the book continues to move upwards with these subsequent sales.  :wishluck:

Not sure why you are presuming that the price would not only drop down, but plummet all the way from $15K right down to only $500?  :tonofbricks:  (shrug)

To each their own, but when buyers purchase a book for their collection, wouldn't it only make sense that they hope for additional copies to come into the marketplace, no matter the grade, to hopefully reinforce the price which they had paid for their copy of the book.  Heck, personally for myself, I get a bit excited and can't wait when I see other copies of books which I had purchased, no matter the grade, come to auction just to see how they do and whether or not this means the valuation of my copy continues to increase or not.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 2/1/2023 at 1:43 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hey while I have your attention, can you or @lou_fine maybe invest a moment in putting an avatar on your profile?  I want to make sure I can tell you apart, right now you're just a couple of big L's.

Hey, I am too old school and technologically challenged to ever try to figure out some of these new style tech stuff like creating avatars or posting your own scans.  :facepalm:

I guess if I really wanted to learn and had the time, I probably could, but have no real desire to at this current point in time. :frown:

On 2/1/2023 at 3:11 PM, lou_fine said:

I am actually NOT presuming anything at all about the buyer, as I was really talking more about the book itself and the price paid for it.  (thumbsu

Of course there are potential buyers for books at $15K where this kind of money is nothing more than loose pocket change to them.  I am just referring to the fact that since there are now many more copies of this book in the same equivalent CGC 9.8 grade, I hope like most vintage collectible comic books here, the subsequent sale of these additional copies when they do come to market, only helps to reinforce the $15K purchase price which the buyer had paid for the original first 9.8 graded copy and the value of the book continues to move upwards with these subsequent sales.  :wishluck:

Not sure why you are presuming that the price would not only drop down, but plummet all the way from $15K right down to only $500?  :tonofbricks:  (shrug)

To each their own, but when buyers purchase a book for their collection, wouldn't it only make sense that they hope for additional copies to come into the marketplace, no matter the grade, to hopefully reinforce the price which they had paid for their copy of the book.  Heck, personally for myself, I get a bit excited and can't wait when I see other copies of books which I had purchased, no matter the grade, come to auction just to see how they do and whether or not this means the valuation of my copy continues to increase or not.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Because that's what I think it's worth?

On 2/1/2023 at 3:22 PM, LordRahl said:

Because that's what I think it's worth?

So, from your post above, am I safe to assume that you weren't the buyer of the Iron Man 30 for $15K as this amount is meaningful to to you?  hm

Or on the other hand, from your post below, should I assume that you were indeed the buyer of the Iron Man 30 for $15K because dropping that kind of dough on a comic book worth only $500 is meaningless and inconsequential to you and you also wanted to avoid another $100K night of wanton debauchery in a Vegas nightclub?  (shrug)

Don't know about you but I'd rather drop $15K on a comic book that will subsequently be worth $500 than $100K on a night of debauchery in a Vegas club.

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/1/2023 at 4:14 PM, lou_fine said:

So, from your post above, am I safe to assume that you weren't the buyer of the Iron Man 30 for $15K as this amount is meaningful to to you?  hm

Or on the other hand, from your post below, should I assume that you were indeed the buyer of the Iron Man 30 for $15K because dropping that kind of dough on a comic book is meaningless and inconsequential to you and you also wanted to avoid another $100K night of debauchery in a Vegas nightclub?  (shrug)

I plead the 5th

On 2/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, LordRahl said:

None of the sky is crashing people want to admit this publicly. Here or FB or anywhere. Everyone seems to think that if books aren't always on an upward trajectory, then the GCC has come. Even though prices now are 50% higher than they were pre-Covid (which was less than 3 years ago), all anyone can talk about is how they have fallen from their "highs". Someone wake me up when, as you say, prices are back to or below 2019 levels.

Agreed, and all of this has been seen before with the charge in prices in 2012.   I remember seeing IM#1 9.8 going for $18k (Clink sale), and thinking they'll never see they're money again.  In 2021 the book hit $52k.   Rise, slide, rinse repeat.

On 2/1/2023 at 6:26 PM, LordRahl said:

None of the sky is crashing people want to admit this publicly. Here or FB or anywhere. Everyone seems to think that if books aren't always on an upward trajectory, then the GCC has come. Even though prices now are 50% higher than they were pre-Covid (which was less than 3 years ago), all anyone can talk about is how they have fallen from their "highs". Someone wake me up when, as you say, prices are back to or below 2019 levels.

New day.  New era

Let the madness of DCU spec begin....

A1C86D7C-0142-4025-87B0-F69DE5DA318F.gif.eb702fcacf71ef80b7b4dd66e6e2d029.gif