• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,932 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2023 at 4:39 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

New day.  New era

Let the madness of DCU spec begin....

A1C86D7C-0142-4025-87B0-F69DE5DA318F.gif.eb702fcacf71ef80b7b4dd66e6e2d029.gif

I assume you must be referring to Booster Gold and Blue Beetle here, but then whatever happened with Hourman and Plastic Man?  hm

Well, let's hope that this stomach churning roller coaster ride doesn't extend as far back as the first incarnation of Blue Beetle back in the pages of Mystery Men Comics because those books have already rocketed into the stratosphere and doesn't show much signs of slowing down.  :Rocket:

On 2/1/2023 at 6:26 PM, LordRahl said:

None of the sky is crashing people want to admit this publicly. Here or FB or anywhere. Everyone seems to think that if books aren't always on an upward trajectory, then the GCC has come. Even though prices now are 50% higher than they were pre-Covid (which was less than 3 years ago), all anyone can talk about is how they have fallen from their "highs". Someone wake me up when, as you say, prices are back to or below 2019 levels.

They got a education and most people pay for a education. As someone who sold all their inflated books I appreciate their business. Nice of them to be willing to sell them off at a massive discount in 2022 2023. 

Serious question: with recent sales data showing most prices coming back down to earth from the pandemic bubble, why is anyone buying now?  Good chances you can get the same book cheaper later.  Or to put it another way, next month your book is going to be worth less than what you paid.

Edited by Rob

On 2/1/2023 at 8:13 PM, Rob said:

Serious question: with recent sales data showing most prices coming back down to earth from the pandemic bubble, why is anyone buying now?  Good chances you can get the same book cheaper later.  Or to put it another way, next month your book is going to be worth less than what you paid.

Pulps :)

On 2/1/2023 at 11:13 PM, Rob said:

Waiting would require intelligence and patience. 

On 2/2/2023 at 3:13 PM, Rob said:

Personally, there is less and less top graded books coming up for sale the last few years.   

That’s the game in a nut shell. Trying to recognize the bottom.

On 2/1/2023 at 8:13 PM, Rob said:

Same question then when the market is going up........why would anybody be selling when there is a good chance they can get more money later? hm

You can never really tell when the market is at a top or when the market has hit bottom, or as another boardie here put it in this case here:  (shrug)

On 2/1/2023 at 10:03 AM, Westy Steve said:

“Fear of missing Bottom”. (FOMB). 

I recently decided to buy a big key from a well known dealer. It's the first big key I've bought in a few years. Now, I've been buying all along, I've just been staying away from big big purchases. 

So, why now? 

The basic answer is, things have softened enough that I feel comfortable jumping in. Will prices soften more? Probably.... But I'm not looking to flip it any time soon, so I'm happy to wait for awhile.  As others have said, it's impossible to time the market. 

I also had an opportunity to supplement my cost with a partial trade, so that helped.

Some of the stuff I collect is so scarce that it might be another decade before I see it again.

On 2/2/2023 at 8:52 AM, pickycollector said:

If you are primarily a collector: Buy what you like when you can afford it, this way you cannot lose.

If you are primarily an investor/speculator: Buy when everybody else wants to sell and sell when everybody else wants to buy.

Also, if you are a buyer, know how patient you may need to be as some books may be available only once every 10 years while other books are available all the time (ex: Giant-Size X-Men #1).

"If you are primarily a collector: Buy what you like when you can afford it, this way you cannot lose." Indeed!

Since I began collecting nearly 50 years ago I have never stopped buying no matter what the market is. Same philosophy as the stock market of dollar cost averaging into the companies that you feel are undervalued. Not smart enough to know where the bottom or tops are and time the market. 

It's a truism of investing... if you're trying to time the bottom, you're almost sure to miss it.  Prudent investors "ladder"... buy and/or sell periodically through all the ups and downs.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, EastEnd1 said:

It's a truism of investing... if you're trying to time the bottom, you're almost sure to miss it.  Prudent investors "ladder"... buy and/or sell periodically through all the ups and downs.

Agreed. Attempting to time either in pretty much any market is fool's errand.

On 2/2/2023 at 9:59 AM, october said:

Number one rule of comic dealing: Nobody - I don't care if you're Warren Buffett or Jimmy Buffett - Nobody knows if the comic's going to go up, down, sideways, or in f%^^#g circles, least of all dealers. It's all a Fugazzi. You know what a Fugazzi is?

inc_imageget.php?id=13&showfull=true&code=c51ce4

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/2/2023 at 9:59 AM, october said:

Number one rule of comic dealing: Nobody - I don't care if you're Warren Buffett or Jimmy Buffett - Nobody knows if the comic's going to go up, down, sideways, or in f%^^#g circles, least of all dealers. It's all a Fugazzi. You know what a Fugazzi is?

As in Ian MacKaye?

Edited by Dick Pontoon