• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, mjoeyoung said:

There are going to be a lot of financial losses in the near future.  

Heritage Auction today:  Amazing Fantasy #15 in 7.5 sold for $117K, last sale was $198K.

it was only a matter of time

On 3/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, mjoeyoung said:

It does have some minor restoration removal, but I don't think that can be responsible for the entire drop.  Here is a link:

Amazing Fantasy #15

I read that. I still think it is a very nice copy. Granted this book is way above what I could afford and I don’t follow the market for this book, but that’s still a huge drop on what looks to be a fairly nicely presenting copy.

Maybe if I was spending 6 figures on a comic I would feel different.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:26 PM, FormerReader said:

I read that. I still think it is a very nice copy. Granted this book is way above what I could afford and I don’t follow the market for this book, but that’s still a huge drop on what looks to be a fairly nicely presenting copy.

Maybe if I was spending 6 figures on a comic I would feel different.

Much deeper waters than I swim in, but I would think there is a slight adversity to buying books that a seller turned blue from purple.  This book looks okay compared to most hatchet jobs, but I think the stigma is still there. 2c

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/30/2023 at 4:29 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Much deeper waters than I swim in, but I would think there is a slight adversity to buying books that a seller turned blue from purple.  This book looks okay compared to most hatchet jobs, but I think the stigma is still there. 2c

That is a good point. I’m the same as you, I’ll never be able to afford this book, but I wouldn’t pass on a book that had restoration removed if it still presented this nicely.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:35 PM, FormerReader said:

That is a good point. I’m the same as you, I’ll never be able to afford this book, but I wouldn’t pass on a book that had restoration removed if it still presented this nicely.

It’s not about passing, but maybe paying less than one would for a copy that was never restored to begin with.   

On 3/30/2023 at 2:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And looking at the book again, I think 7.5 is generous with those missing chunks 

FF078C54-CE08-4761-A2DD-8A44B1152A16.jpeg.0cec46e2c0809cb8c1f4da99837dc5bc.jpeg

I think the paper is there, just the color is missing, like a tape pull.  I think that is graded less harshly than if a piece was actually missing.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:46 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I think the paper is there, just the color is missing, like a tape pull.  I think that is graded less harshly than if a piece was actually missing.

I thought I was seeing the interior paper. I suppose a  colour scrape isn’t as severe