• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2021 at 5:23 AM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

Hi There,

New guy here.  Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm very interested in learning how you generated such a data filled report.  Is that created by a program you wrote yourself or is it part of some online service or what?  Thanks.

I wish there was a more interesting answer - but this is an excel file and a lot of time scrolling ComicLink and GPA.    I have some session 4 stuff captured I will try to post this weekend. 

Yes.  By and large The only way to assemble comics sales data today is by painstaking copy paste grunt work. We don’t have websites that make it easy, yet.  Let’s hope someday people will throw money at guys like DC# to do it for a public or even paid website!  Of course, if Comiclink prices are used look out for the cease and desist letter.  And we are left with just GPA (no Comiclink and other sales) or GoCollect.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:13 AM, Aman619 said:

Yes.  By and large The only way to assemble comics sales data today is by painstaking copy paste grunt work. We don’t have websites that make it easy, yet.  Let’s hope someday people will throw money at guys like DC# to do it for a public or even paid website!  Of course, if Comiclink prices are used look out for the cease and desist letter.  And we are left with just GPA (no Comiclink and other sales) or GoCollect.

i would love to know if CL has a legal leg to stand on there. after all, their auctions are visible to the public, so the second before end of an auction is public data. whats more, their results are available to anyone who makes a free account there. since that's free and literally anyone can sign up, can that really be considered proprietary info? seems like if this went to court, they would not necessarily prevail. but i'm not a lawyer.

CL not sharing their results with gpa is a great loss for buyers and sellers of comics. they have 2 auctions per month, and move a quantity of books comparable only to heritage, and likely more. often books that have not sold anywhere else will sell there and gpa shows no results for that entire year.  one of the lamest positions in the biz, imho. and yet i still buy books there. 

On 11/20/2021 at 4:39 PM, alexgross.com said:

i would love to know if CL has a legal leg to stand on there. after all, their auctions are visible to the public, so the second before end of an auction is public data. whats more, their results are available to anyone who makes a free account there. since that's free and literally anyone can sign up, can that really be considered proprietary info? seems like if this went to court, they would not necessarily prevail. but i'm not a lawyer.

CL not sharing their results with gpa is a great loss for buyers and sellers of comics. they have 2 auctions per month, and move a quantity of books comparable only to heritage, and likely more. often books that have not sold anywhere else will sell there and gpa shows no results for that entire year.  one of the lamest positions in the biz, imho. and yet i still buy books there. 

I agree... although a Dealer will argue that their sales data is their competitive advantage and it's proprietary.  Thats true, but for the greater good of the hobby -- and theirs as well -- transparent and full access to all sales data helps the market. Even their clients who bid in their auctions. Why limit your bids to whatever you can see on GPA when knowing same issue sold for twice that somewhere else that doesn't share data with GPA?  The big advantage of knowing what an issue has sold for BOOSTS bids and sales prices.  The only way it hurts is if youre asking for a lot more than the data reveals, hence trying to take advantage of buyers LACK of knowledge.  Aren't we trying for those days to be over?

On 11/20/2021 at 5:23 PM, Aman619 said:

I agree... although a Dealer will argue that their sales data is their competitive advantage and it's proprietary.  Thats true, but for the greater good of the hobby -- and theirs as well -- transparent and full access to all sales data helps the market. Even their clients who bid in their auctions. Why limit your bids to whatever you can see on GPA when knowing same issue sold for twice that somewhere else that doesn't share data with GPA?  The big advantage of knowing what an issue has sold for BOOSTS bids and sales prices.  The only way it hurts is if youre asking for a lot more than the data reveals, hence trying to take advantage of buyers LACK of knowledge.  Aren't we trying for those days to be over?

Not following your logic?  "Even their clients who bid in their auctions"  Except for Comiclink the auction houses report their data.  Ebay data is captured.  So what dealers need that data in order to get a customer to buy a book or make an offer on it?  If that is the case then the Dealer market is highly dependent on the auction market so that GPA accurately reflects market value and will get customers to buy from us.  Not sure I need the auction houses and GPA in order to properly price and sell books. 

Conventions are coming back,  most convention sales are not reported anywhere so what "incentive" gets that data captured as you say?  

Not following this either "The only way it hurts is if youre asking for a lot more than the data reveals"  What is a "lot more".  Is there a published "rule" somewhere that limits how much over GPA a book can be listed for?

Should I bring up a lot of Ebay listings where I'm wondering what pricing model they are using besides BMO.  

Edited by blazingbob

I haven't bought a slabbed book on Ebay for a few years.  Just don't see any decent pricing there.  Seems like the books there are always priced above GPA at basically any grade.  I hear some say they find deals there but that has not been my experience the last few years.  

While I finish up the session 4 stuff....

When you start looking across books like this you just see all sorts of things that "don't jive."   Sometimes that is very strange Last Sale data from GPA.   Often is is weirdness with the same book in the same auction.   Here are two that just grabbed me in this last CL auction.

First was DC Outsiders #1.   What first grabbed me was the fact that in Session 2 a 9.8 sold for $159 (sent me to my long box to pull my copy) with 14 bids.    Then another copy sold in Session 4 for $26 with 5 bids.   

1163142737_ScreenShot2021-11-17at9_20_45AM.thumb.png.f26b6fa7f92c59ec974ff9bab63e7e42.png

133707212_ScreenShot2021-11-17at9_22_37AM.thumb.png.af2254d8b57ca779e4bcd19e3dba070b.png

So odd book to sell for $159 to start with but.....

Even more odd  was the back to back sales in Session 4 of a Silver Surfer #3.   Both 7.0 both OW pages.    The first sells for $802 and the second for $1355.   Actually the $802 copy looked a little better in my eyes.     That is a huge difference for books that closed seconds apart

1837678011_ScreenShot2021-11-18at6_59_26AM.thumb.png.30ef1bde2827c06c0f0a7c912cf5de6a.png

Edited by DC#

On 11/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, blazingbob said:

Is there a published "rule" somewhere that limits how much over GPA a book can be listed for?

Most buyers seem to think there is, even though GPA is EXTREMELY limited in its data set. GPA is a fine baseline but it shouldn't be seen as scripture. 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, Ryan. said:

Most buyers seem to think there is, even though GPA is EXTREMELY limited in its data set. GPA is a fine baseline but it shouldn't be seen as scripture. 

Yes but to many it is THE data set.  

And within that dataset is the Last sale/90 day, 120 and the throw that Outlier sale out group .  Your job as the seller is to figure out which GPA group you are dealing with when negotiating.  

Edited by blazingbob

On 11/20/2021 at 2:23 PM, Aman619 said:

i know they say it's proprietary, but i'm saying since everyone can see it publicly, that argument doesn't seem to wash. if these were private auctions, then it would seem reasonable. either way, it seems ill conceived. it smells of fear that when your auction sales prices are low, you want to hide this reality from prospective bidders in the next one. when the market is hot, sharing their results only helps their cause of selling the next one at an even higher price. 

On 11/20/2021 at 7:38 PM, blazingbob said:

Yes but to many it is THE data set.  

And within that dataset is the Last sale/90 day, 120 and the throw that Outlier sale out group .  Your job as the seller is to figure out which GPA group you are dealing with when negotiating.  

Easy. Historical high sale plus 25%.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:28 PM, DC# said:

While I finish up the session 4 stuff....

When you start looking across books like this you just see all sorts of things that "don't jive."   Sometimes that is very strange Last Sale data from GPA.   Often is is weirdness with the same book in the same auction.   Here are two that just grabbed me in this last CL auction.

First was DC Outsiders #1.   What first grabbed me was the fact that in Session 2 a 9.8 sold for $159 (sent me to my long box to pull my copy) with 14 bids.    Then another copy sold in Session 4 for $26 with 5 bids.   

1163142737_ScreenShot2021-11-17at9_20_45AM.thumb.png.f26b6fa7f92c59ec974ff9bab63e7e42.png

133707212_ScreenShot2021-11-17at9_22_37AM.thumb.png.af2254d8b57ca779e4bcd19e3dba070b.png

So odd book to sell for $159 to start with but.....

Even more odd  was the back to back sales in Session 4 of a Silver Surfer #3.   Both 7.0 both OW pages.    The first sells for $802 and the second for $1355.   Actually the $802 copy looked a little better in my eyes.     That is a huge difference for books that closed seconds apart

1837678011_ScreenShot2021-11-18at6_59_26AM.thumb.png.30ef1bde2827c06c0f0a7c912cf5de6a.png

Can only guess. Outsiders had 2 bidders who wanted the book. The 2nd copy had 1 less bidder. If the winner of the 1st one seen the 2nd well I can't see them being happy. 2nd guy is though. On the silver surfer fomo set in for the ones who missed out on the first one. Or maybe they figured the 2nd copy would be cheaper. The surfer is stranger. 

On 11/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, Mike Murdock said:

I haven't bought a slabbed book on Ebay for a few years.  Just don't see any decent pricing there.  Seems like the books there are always priced above GPA at basically any grade.  I hear some say they find deals there but that has not been my experience the last few years.  

I usually find a handful of deals each week but never on hot books or big keys. I am 2nd highest bidder plenty of times so someone else is getting deals as well. 

On 11/20/2021 at 6:11 PM, Thisisrequired said:

I usually find a handful of deals each week but never on hot books or big keys. I am 2nd highest bidder plenty of times so someone else is getting deals as well. 

I always remind myself that just because someone landed that $1500 book for $1200 doesn’t mean I could have gotten it for that had I been bidding too.   And the irony of getting too good a deal is that it can be the reference point for the next buyer(s) to continue the downward trend.  

On 11/20/2021 at 9:36 PM, DC# said:

I always remind myself that just because someone landed that $1500 book for $1200 doesn’t mean I could have gotten it for that had I been bidding too.   And the irony of getting too good a deal is that it can be the reference point for the next buyer(s) to continue the downward trend.  

I haven't figured people out yet. Just about everyday I find myself saying how they let me get this that cheap. Why would someone pay so much. Why would someone slab that book. 

I do know that a lot of people don't want to pay for gpa. A lot of peo (yeah my post just got submitted mid sentence, that was a first.) Ple don't know you can view sold results. I figure some are too lazy or just don't care. They want it and aren't turned off by the price.

Edited by Thisisrequired
Cgcforum glitch