• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,932 posts in this topic

On 11/21/2021 at 10:28 AM, DC# said:

Even more odd  was the back to back sales in Session 4 of a Silver Surfer #3.   Both 7.0 both OW pages.    The first sells for $802 and the second for $1355.   Actually the $802 copy looked a little better in my eyes.     That is a huge difference for books that closed seconds apart

1837678011_ScreenShot2021-11-18at6_59_26AM.thumb.png.30ef1bde2827c06c0f0a7c912cf5de6a.png

The only thing I can think of is people missing the deadline on an auction, then going hard on the next one.   Bidders regret, when they get the bit between their teeth.     I've seen it when bidding on identical books, the later ones either go a lot cheaper... the first bidders went all in.  Or, they missed the first copy, then re-set their upper limit not to miss the second book.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:11 PM, Thisisrequired said:

I usually find a handful of deals each week but never on hot books or big keys. I am 2nd highest bidder plenty of times so someone else is getting deals as well. 

I was thinking about Buy it Now pricing of CGC books.  It always seems excessively high and well above any of the GPA benchmarks.  Maybe the auctions are different.

Edited by Mike Murdock

On 11/20/2021 at 11:31 PM, Mike Murdock said:

I was thinking about Buy it Now pricing of CGC books.  It always seems excessively high and well above any of the GPA benchmarks.  Maybe the auctions are different.

Auctions are hit or miss. They can be good on something that isn't in demand, especially if listed poorly. It's not often I hit buy it now on a cgc book. But if the seller has make offer I will make a offer. They usually reject but sometimes they accept or at least counter. I don't worry about high asking prices. I seen books at say $1500 and offered a fmv or under price of $800 and had them accept it. I just ignore the asking price and make a reasonable offer. If no buy it now I will put a watch on it. I don't pay any attention to it but sometimes i will get a email and they lowered the price. Sometimes that price is good. Figure they need bill or drug money.

On 11/20/2021 at 9:36 PM, DC# said:

I always remind myself that just because someone landed that $1500 book for $1200 doesn’t mean I could have gotten it for that had I been bidding too.   And the irony of getting too good a deal is that it can be the reference point for the next buyer(s) to continue the downward trend.  

Nobody wants to be the last turd price standing which is what I think of the "I won't pay unless it is 90% of GPA".  The Toilet bowl pricing flush.  

On 11/20/2021 at 9:36 PM, DC# said:

I always remind myself that just because someone landed that $1500 book for $1200 doesn’t mean I could have gotten it for that had I been bidding too.   And the irony of getting too good a deal is that it can be the reference point for the next buyer(s) to continue the downward trend.  

Exactly ... if you bid, you alter the outcome -- unless of course there are two people who bid more than you in which case your bid is immaterial to the final result.

You don't know what the winner's max bid was, so if you bid above $1200 you could win but you could also simply bump up the price at which the other guy wins it.  Which is the worst-case scenario because now you've not only missed out on the book but also made it more expensive to chase next time.  Coming in second is the absolute worst.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, Microchip said:

The only thing I can think of is people missing the deadline on an auction, then going hard on the next one.   Bidders regret, when they get the bit between their teeth.     I've seen it when bidding on identical books, the later ones either go a lot cheaper... the first bidders went all in.  Or, they missed the first copy, then re-set their upper limit not to miss the second book.

ComicLink is one of the few auction houses that doesn’t use extended bidding time.   My impression is that extended bidding time increases the final hammer price in most cases and you see fewer of the “outlier” results.   Again - impression vs empirically proven 

On 11/20/2021 at 5:59 PM, blazingbob said:

Not following your logic?  "Even their clients who bid in their auctions"  Except for Comiclink the auction houses report their data.  Ebay data is captured.  So what dealers need that data in order to get a customer to buy a book or make an offer on it?  If that is the case then the Dealer market is highly dependent on the auction market so that GPA accurately reflects market value and will get customers to buy from us.  Not sure I need the auction houses and GPA in order to properly price and sell books. 

Conventions are coming back,  most convention sales are not reported anywhere so what "incentive" gets that data captured as you say?  

Not following this either "The only way it hurts is if youre asking for a lot more than the data reveals"  What is a "lot more".  Is there a published "rule" somewhere that limits how much over GPA a book can be listed for?

Should I bring up a lot of Ebay listings where I'm wondering what pricing model they are using besides BMO.  

You wrote:  “Not sure I need the auction houses and GPA in order to properly price and sell books. ”.   
even with your years of experience, don’t you want access to as many sales prices that have occurred in a readily accessible format?  When you price a book and you know it to be worth 1000 from your sales, GPA, ebay, whatever, but didn’t notice, or track, or hear about Comiclink selling that same comic and grade for 1700 recently, and you go ahead and price it at 1200 and sell it for 1100….  Well, you left 500 bucks on the table.  That’s going to add up, and it’s no way to run an airline.

That’s my logic.

as for the rest about a “lot more” and eBay sellers prices, well, that’s all beside the point of accurate sales data being better for everyone.  If buyers knew about the 1700 sale and see your 1200 Sticker sure it’s a fast sale for you… but I don’t think you are or want to be really a discount seller.  Just a fair and savvy one not looking to gouge or overprice and have books sit unsold.   

but in the long run with prices increasing, maybe dealers taking sabbaticals would be profitable nowadays.

I wish to high heaven that I could get in touch with the underbidder and sell my copy to him for whatever he was willing to bid on this one.

EDIT:  Just realized, this is the variant edition ... poor me, I just have the regular edition.

Out of curiosity I went to eBay and there is someone asking $35,000 for one of these.  Assuming nobody has ever paid this much for the book, it could be an example of how stupid asks on fixed-price listings can influence behavior in auction bidding.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 11/30/2021 at 8:47 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I wish to high heaven that I could get in touch with the underbidder and sell my copy to him for whatever he was willing to bid on this one.

EDIT:  Just realized, this is the variant edition ... poor me, I just have the regular edition.

Out of curiosity I went to eBay and there is someone asking $35,000 for one of these.  Assuming nobody has ever paid this much for the book, it could be an example of how stupid asks on fixed-price listings can influence behavior in auction bidding.

It's not rare ~170 in 9.8. We do see high dollar amounts on Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell'Otto Cover Variant (For a modern). Even that is a weird 30K price tag.

I'd rather have an ASM 129 9.8 over this any day.

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

FOMO plus some "bitcoin" (it's only going to go up!) mindset...  seems to be alive and well. 

It only takes two insufficiently_thoughtful_persons to set a market (though the more data points the more likely it's a real market value)

Edited by miraclemet

One thing I have not been able to figure out is whether there is any correlation (positive or negative) between the stock market (S&P, Dow, etc.) and the collectibles market.  Last Friday's big selloff in the equities market had me wondering what (if anything!) it would take to create a similar selloff for comics.

On 12/1/2021 at 1:28 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

One thing I have not been able to figure out is whether there is any correlation (positive or negative) between the stock market (S&P, Dow, etc.) and the collectibles market.  Last Friday's big selloff in the equities market had me wondering what (if anything!) it would take to create a similar selloff for comics.

You'd be surprised what correlates with the stock market. It's all about disposable income and when stock prices are high so too is disposable income.

On 11/13/2021 at 5:41 PM, october said:

The bloodbath continues. 

A LOT of people got burned by badly overpaying for super common copper age high grade slabs earlier this year. Market movements are not easy to predict, but that downturn wasn't hard to figure.

Fools and their money - or plain greed where common sense goes flying out the window...  :preach:

LEMMINGS.JPG