• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2021 at 5:44 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I hear you but I really truly have to ask you...

Are there really people who "grew up with this character" and "fell in love with her stories"?  I've read everything that Carol Danvers / Ms. Marvel / Binary / Captain Marvel ever appeared in and I always considered the character to be C-level at best.

My question is posed with the utmost respect and I am genuinely curious to know (a) which incarnation of the character most appealed to you and (b) which stories featuring the character you'd like to see mined for MCU material.

Lol I get what you’re saying. And I agree with you. 
I’m not a Carol Danvers reader or fan by any stretch. 

But I’ll flip your question on a different emphasis. Do you really think there aren’t any people out there that fell in love with the character? 
I mean, I could truly see her target market aimed at young girl readers, to which I am not. 
But I believe there to be a following because at the very least, Marvel continually believed in the support, and albeit, marketability of her, enough to keep releasing solo books about her?

Marvel wasn’t as reckless and free spiriting about books then as they have been in recent years. 

On 12/3/2021 at 5:50 PM, D2 said:

Lol I get what you’re saying. And I agree with you. 
I’m not a Carol Danvers reader or fan by any stretch. 

But I’ll flip your question on a different emphasis. Do you really think there aren’t any people out there that fell in love with the character? 
I mean, I could truly see her target market aimed at young girl readers, to which I am not. 
But I believe there to be a following because at the very least, Marvel continually believed in the support, and albeit, marketability of her, enough to keep releasing solo books about her?

Marvel wasn’t as reckless and free spiriting about books then as they have been in recent years. 

I don't know the demographics, but if we're asking who grew up reading books featuring this character, the answer has to be over 95% young men who mostly know her through the Avengers and X-Men.  I honestly don't know how well Marvel managed to attract girls to read comics like Ms. Marvel (or Spider-Woman or whatever) -- but I collected and read them.

So, speaking as a 50-year old dude, do I think there is an addressable market of 50-year-old women who want to see a (female) Captain Marvel movie?  Not in the slightest.  (Whereas there most definitely are lots of 50-year-old women who want to see Wonder Woman.)

On the other hand do I think there is an addressable market of young girls who would like to be able to see themselves in MCU superheroes?  Of course, and that's what Marvel is trying to give them.  But to all those people, Captain Marvel is a brand-new character with no pre-existing attachment -- a chance to start with a clean slate and launch a franchise.  Which, again, is exactly what Marvel was/is trying to do.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't know the demographics, but if we're asking who grew up reading books featuring this character, the answer has to be over 95% young men who mostly know her through the Avengers and X-Men.  I honestly don't know how well Marvel managed to attract girls to read comics like Ms. Marvel (or Spider-Woman or whatever) -- but I collected and read them.

So, speaking as a 50-year old dude, do I think there is an addressable market of 50-year-old women who want to see a (female) Captain Marvel movie?  Not in the slightest.  (Whereas there most definitely are lots of 50-year-old women who want to see Wonder Woman.)

On the other hand do I think there is an addressable market of young girls who would like to be able to see themselves in MCU superheroes?  Of course, and that's what Marvel is trying to give them.  But to all those people, Captain Marvel is a brand-new character with no pre-existing attachment -- a chance to start with a clean slate and launch a franchise.  Which, again, is exactly what Marvel was/is trying to do.

Okay, so even if everything you said is completely accurate…

Then why, oh why, is Brie Larson, taking a steaming hot dump on the opportunity, to be a beacon of light to a young girl audience?

On 12/1/2021 at 10:28 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

One thing I have not been able to figure out is whether there is any correlation (positive or negative) between the stock market (S&P, Dow, etc.) and the collectibles market.  Last Friday's big selloff in the equities market had me wondering what (if anything!) it would take to create a similar selloff for comics.

Actually, on days like last Friday and pretty much all of this week, I guess comic book collectors can thank their lucky stars they can still have a big smile when looking at their private collection, as opposed to crying when looking at their stock equities portfolio.  (thumbsu

Especially in the case of those long term collectors on the boards here who were lucky enough to have brought into these books as part of their collecting hobby and not as a speculative purchase way back in the day, and now decades later, their collections can now hopefully add up to a nice small but steady secured portion of their retirement portfolio, as opposed to the sometimes much more volatile stock equities portion of their retirement nest egg. :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 12/3/2021 at 5:58 PM, D2 said:

Okay, so even if everything you said is completely accurate…

Then why, oh why, is Brie Larson, taking a steaming hot dump on the opportunity, to be a beacon of light to a young girl audience?

Yeah, I don't have an answer for you on that ... and I don't feel informed enough to speculate on her level of enthusiasm for the character or for superhero movies in general.

On 12/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, Ryan. said:

You guys are really angry at Brie Larson. 

They are, aren’t they though?  Guys, In the end Marvel and Kevin Feige chose the portrayal of  the Captain Marvel film character, just as they control the whole MCU.  They have been so successful they are on their own.  So blame Feige if the character isn’t what YOU expected.  They wrote it, shot it, edited dialogue, edited it and the film is exactly what they wanted.  If they saw the film the way you did, and that Brie mailed it in, or was high handed about it, they would have kept shooting until they had what they wanted.   But they already did.  

Edited by Aman619

On 12/3/2021 at 7:04 PM, Ryan. said:

You guys are really angry at Brie Larson. 

On 12/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Aman619 said:

They are, aren’t they though?  Guys, In the end Marvel and Kevin Feige chose the portrayal of  the Captain Marvel film character, just as they control the whole MCU.  They have been so successful they are on their own.  So blame Feige if the character isn’t what YOU expected.  They wrote it, shot it, edited dialogue, edited it and the film is exactly what they wanted.  If they saw the film the way you did, and that Brie mailed it in, or was high handed about it, they would have kept shooting until they had what they wanted.   But they already did.  

Angry isn’t the word. I have no respect for her. 

Why would I blame Feige for the action of others? It’s not his responsibility or ability, quite frankly, to completely control the will of others. That makes no sense. 

of course it is.  Its absolutely his responsibility and ability to control any and all aspects of the Marvel Films.  If he was unhappy with a scene they'd reshoot after seeing dailies  Sounds like you didnt like the way the character was written and are blaming her.... for "disrespecting" the character?  But Just cause I dont get it is fine, lots of people agree with you.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, Aman619 said:

of course it is.  Its absolutely his responsibility and ability to control any and all aspects of the Marvel Films.  If he was unhappy with a scene they'd reshoot after seeing dailies  Sounds like you didnt like the way the character was written and are blaming her.... for "disrespecting" the character?  But Just cause I dont get it is fine, lots of people agree with you.

No it’s her and how she acts and portrays herself in real life that echoes her terrible performances. 

Brie Larson is smug. 

596A6F5C-D4B8-4C5E-A3C3-190FFB2F4C91.jpeg

Edited by D2

On 12/3/2021 at 6:28 PM, lou_fine said:

Actually, on days like last Friday and pretty much all of this week, I guess comic book collectors can thank their lucky stars they can still have a big smile when looking at their private collection, as opposed to crying when looking at their stock equities portfolio.  (thumbsu

Especially in the case of those long term collectors on the boards here who were lucky enough to have brought into these books as part of their collecting hobby and not as a speculative purchase way back in the day, and now decades later, their collections can now hopefully add up to a nice small but steady secured portion of their retirement portfolio, as opposed to the sometimes much more volatile stock equities portion of their retirement nest egg. :applause:

Today the stock market sold off even more... even  crypto got hit.  everyone spooked by the new variant.  It will be interesting to see how it affects our funny books... 

On 12/3/2021 at 5:55 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm 56 and grew up reading a large number of Marvel/DC titles, including Ms. Marvel. My favorite title as a kid was Captain Marvel (from green and white to yellow and red suits). I saw Ms. Marvel as a continuation of the Kree storylines combined with locales more suited to Spider-man. Not my favorite comic but I bought them all. I seriously dislike the character in the movies but didn't have a problem with the comic.

Edited by paqart

On 12/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Aman619 said:

Very true. This is why I am annoyed with Feige, the writer, etc more than Larsen. Also, I';ll add that Phase three had a number of movies I didn't care for. Phase One and Two were both excellent all the way but Civil War, Ragnarok, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Endgame were annoying in a number of ways. Ultimately though, it isn't that the characters weren't what I expected. I didn't expect a young, beautiful, female Ancient One but I liked Doctor Strange a lot. I didn't expect Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury but liked him in the role quite a bit. I also didn't expect other things, like Tony Stark admitting that he is Iron Man, Quicksilver's death, etc. Those story/character changes were significant but the stories held up regardless. The more recent movies made changes that made the films worse, not better.

1) Civil War: Tony Stark suddenly has a bleeding heart. That character change made him into a whiny busybody instead of a tech titan. 

2) Ragnarok: Thor was the butt of every joke. The entire movie seemed designed to mock him, particularly his good heart and trusting nature. I happen to like those traits in Thor and didn't appreciate seeing him treated that way in the movie.

3) Black Panther: I don't remember Black Panther from the comics very well, so I can't comment on deviations in the film. However, I thought that Boseman's Panther was too stiff to be interesting and the Wakanda environment was too full of weird story elements to effectively convey the idea of an advanced society. For instance, ritual combat to be king, graffiti in their town,  a potion to take away "panther power" before taking another potion to get it back, and extreme technological sophistication derived from, apparently, the presence of one resource (vibranium) and one engineer (T'Challa's sister). Keep in mind that Africa already has the world's largest supply of many precious commodities and it has not led to sophisticated government, wealth, and civil order.

4) Captain Marvel: Who needs an entire movie to deal with this character? She should just walk on, release a burst of light, smirk, and then fade to black. She is apparently so powerful that no being can offer a meaningful or interesting resistance. Also, total lack of personality, unlike Wonder Woman. In many ways, I think the Captain Marvel movie was better than either Wonder Woman movie but I'd rather watch the Wonder Woman movies because Gal Gadot has a more appealing personality.

5) Endgame: Who put Captain Marvel in this movie? Without her, I would have liked it. However, her two scenes, one at the beginning, the other at the end, spoiled everything for me. She magically rescues Stark and Nebula (lazy writing) and then rescues everyone else at the end. Why bother with an entire movie? Clearly, the only important events were Captain Marvel's cameo appearances. Personally, I think it would have been a better movie if Stark and Nebula died in the first five minutes, Pym and Banner took over for Stark, the rest of the movie followed the same path, and then in the final battle, Thanos was overpowered by someone else.

EDIT: I'll add that the Captain Marvel movie ended my interest in the MCU. I gave it several chances after a group of movies I didn't like but that was the last one for me. With the DVDs, I made a point to buy them all right up to Black Panther. I also didn't buy Captain Marvel, Far From Home, or Into the Spider-verse (not MCU, I know). I did see Black Widow when the price of the DVD came down, thought it was "eh", saw Shang-Chi at the theater, and haven't seen Eternals yet, nor do I plan to see it. This last group of three films are about as interesting to me as the Fox Fantastic Fours. They no longer have the strength of independent purpose found in the first 20 or so films.

Edited by paqart

On 12/3/2021 at 8:56 PM, paqart said:

ritual combat to be king

Dont forget the shrug dancing.  Hated that execrable movie and you are spot on in all your other analysis.  Thor rocknarag was played as a comedy-horrible.

yes his costume shoots out of a necklace why not just make it pop out of an ear stud?  everything invented by teenage girl smarter than tony stark and banner combined golly wut did they do before she was born?

On 11/21/2021 at 4:20 PM, Aman619 said:

You wrote:  “Not sure I need the auction houses and GPA in order to properly price and sell books. ”.   
even with your years of experience, don’t you want access to as many sales prices that have occurred in a readily accessible format?  When you price a book and you know it to be worth 1000 from your sales, GPA, ebay, whatever, but didn’t notice, or track, or hear about Comiclink selling that same comic and grade for 1700 recently, and you go ahead and price it at 1200 and sell it for 1100….  Well, you left 500 bucks on the table.  That’s going to add up, and it’s no way to run an airline.

That’s my logic.

as for the rest about a “lot more” and eBay sellers prices, well, that’s all beside the point of accurate sales data being better for everyone.  If buyers knew about the 1700 sale and see your 1200 Sticker sure it’s a fast sale for you… but I don’t think you are or want to be really a discount seller.  Just a fair and savvy one not looking to gouge or overprice and have books sit unsold.   

but in the long run with prices increasing, maybe dealers taking sabbaticals would be profitable nowadays.

I collect newsstands almost exclusively. Pricing them is very difficult because their scarcity is a big factor in pricing. Recently, me and two other guys who frequent the newsstand forum bid on Hulk #16 (2009). At the time, Mile High charged about $150 for the comic. We bid it up to around $800. The reason I kept bidding until I had no more money to offer is that it was the only 9.8 copy of that comic I'd ever seen, and one of maybe 5 copies of that issue I'd seen regardless of condition. On another occasion, I saw a beautiful copy of the newsstand Batgirl 13 with an Artgerm cover. I picked it up for only $10 or so but it was packed so badly that it got destroyed in shipping. It was so mangled that it wasn't even useful as a filler copy of the comic. The next time I saw one for sale was months later, and I paid about $125 for a 9.0. When I buy these, the price is less an issue of the comic's actual value than a measure of how long it will be before I see another copy. I've been looking for a group of 1999/2000 Marvel price variants for about two years. So far, I have about 10 of the 36 issues involved. With one exception, I have bought every copy I've seen but they only show up once every few months, and that's only one of the group. Recently I was considering a purchase of the $2.29 ASM V2 #11 price variant for $340. I didn't buy it but it sold minutes after I bought a lower priced copy of the same variant of issue 13 for about $200. A week later, it was back on ebay for about $100 more . I've bought a lot of newsstands for the purpose of trading but now that I know how hard to find they are, I don't want to trade or sell them. It's ridiculous but these things are very hard to find despite being fairly new. It's easier to find a 1962 Hulk #1 than a newsstand Hulk 1 from 2008. Not as much history but harder to find.

With that cover wouldn't a high grade be much easier than a regular book? I mean, assuming you bothered to grade it in the first place, considering it's a royal piece of carp.