• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

On 12/3/2021 at 7:12 PM, Wolverinex said:

Today the stock market sold off even more... even  crypto got hit.  everyone spooked by the new variant.  It will be interesting to see how it affects our funny books... 

Although the market selloff from last Friday could be directly attributable to the Omicron variant, it would appear that the severe downdraft in the markets for this past week also had some other economic and geo-politcal factors in play, along with the overbearing pervasiveness of computer algos to accentuate the wild swings in the markets.  :(  :tonofbricks:

Perfect case in point being Wednesday when the markets and the Dow was riding a big +500 high during morning session before both Jay Powell and Janet Yellen started to talk about retiring the word "transitory" when it came to inflation and alluded to the possibility of speeding things up when it came to the tapering process and raising of interest rates.  Needless to say, this resulted in an almost immeditate 1,000 point swing in the Dow to a big -500 low along with a similar hit to the other associated markets.  Fast forward to today where the markets was on the plus side in the pre-market and at the opening before coming to an immediate stop and a jump over the edge of the cliff once the rather somewhat pathetic jobs number came out for the month of November.  No doubt the last push came as they cryto markets also collasped and Didi finally announced that they would be delisting from the NYSE which took down every single stock that had even a hint of China to them.  :censored:

As for how any new variant might affect the funny books going forward, haven't we already seen this played out during the past year and a half in terms of rather insane scorching red hot record setting prices in all of the various collectibles marketplaces, including the one in which our very own funny books reside in.  :wishluck:  :banana:  :whee:

On 12/4/2021 at 2:03 AM, lou_fine said:

As for how any new variant might affect the funny books going forward, haven't we already seen this played out during the past year and a half in terms of rather insane scorching red hot record setting prices in all of the various collectibles marketplaces, including the one in which our very own funny books reside in.  :wishluck:  :banana:  :whee:

Until and unless the government takes the kinds of measures it took last year to ease the pain for both individuals and businesses, any analogy to the current situation is deeply flawed. Last year tons and tons of money was pumped into the system, there was a moratorium on evictions, etc. etc. etc. 

I continue to buy. Now granted I did not buy the $30,000 books this spring or summer nor could I ever afford to. But still trying to complete my collection and learn stuff in the process. It’s a hobby which costs me far less than most as I can always resell books for at least some amount of money. Can’t say that for all hobbies.

As far as the market, the s and p is 4% from its high. This gyrating is common and happens every time a market shift is coming. Bear markets don’t last very long even when they come along. And in the end collectibles will be worth more in 10 years then they are now just like the s and p. If you can buy and hold and you do some good research on what you are buying you should do fine. 

just like stocks- look at this time as things are starting to go on sale. My 2 cents 

On 12/5/2021 at 12:59 AM, Gregd said:

I continue to buy. Now granted I did not buy the $30,000 books this spring or summer nor could I ever afford to. But still trying to complete my collection and learn stuff in the process. It’s a hobby which costs me far less than most as I can always resell books for at least some amount of money. Can’t say that for all hobbies.

As far as the market, the s and p is 4% from its high. This gyrating is common and happens every time a market shift is coming. Bear markets don’t last very long even when they come along. And in the end collectibles will be worth more in 10 years then they are now just like the s and p. If you can buy and hold and you do some good research on what you are buying you should do fine. 

just like stocks- look at this time as things are starting to go on sale. My 2 cents 

Buy and hodl

On 12/5/2021 at 12:42 PM, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Do you think now would be a good time to buy and can you negotiate prices down from the last piece sold on GPA?

I am not sure where to begin with this open-question :flamed: but it begs questions first - such as:  1) what is your budget each month or are you just looking for a few books only? 2) What is your collecting niche? 3) are you collecting for your own personal collection or are you planning on speculating, investing and-or flipping books? 4) do you really understand GPA and how it is but one-spoke in the valuation-wheel of comics and certainly shouldn't be the end-all?  5) Do you understand price-compression and market manipulation in comics and how GPA is often wrong if not manipulated at times? 6) Finally markets are typically about perception and comics are no different and no one can definitively answer your question here, thus observing, understanding, being perceptive and ultimately intuition are your best tools in your bat-belt :womanhero: etc etc etc - my 2-cents :preach:

Edited by Roger66

On 12/5/2021 at 6:08 PM, Roger66 said:

I am not sure where to begin with this open-question :flamed: but it begs questions first - such as:  1) what is your budget each month or are you just looking for a few books only? 2) What is your collecting niche? 3) are you collecting for your own personal collection or are you planning on speculating, investing and-or flipping books? 4) do you really understand GPA and how it is but one-spoke in the valuation-wheel of comics and certainly shouldn't be the end-all. 5) Do you understand price-compression and market manipulation in comics and how GPA is often wrong? 6) Finally markets are typically about perception and comics are no different and no one can definitively answer your question, thus observing, understanding, being perceptive and ultimately intuition are your best tools in your bat-belt :womanhero: etc etc etc - my 2-cents :preach:

Thanks for the response.

I am only looking for a few books and I only collect first appearances, origins and number 1’s, have not sold anything yet but may do in the future.

I use GPA but not really sure if I am using it properly, I just look at the last price paid and assume that is the current value so long as it is a recent sale, not sure what to do when there are no current sales. Don’t know much about point 5 but it sounds interesting.

if the book has 20 or more sales in the past year, use the average.. and study the prices to see of the most current sale is riding a trend upward, or downward. If the book is older and/or scarcer use the latest price as a guide, but not the definitive value for your copy or any other copy in grade. Thats the best you can do with a one off sale price.

GPA doesn't have access to ALL SALES EVERYWHERE. Therefore issues with many sales (Silver, Bronze and modern keys particularly and with increasing confidence in the more recent Ages) are the closest to a "current value" you can get in our young hobby.  And if you are looking at 9.0 and theres just a few sales, but 8.5 and 9.2 have lots of RECENT sales, pick a number between the two averages for 8.5 and 9.2.

On 12/5/2021 at 11:25 PM, Aman619 said:

if the book has 20 or more sales in the past year, use the average.. and study the prices to see of the most current sale is riding a trend upward, or downward. If the book is older and/or scarcer use the latest price as a guide, but not the definitive value for your copy or any other copy in grade. Thats the best you can do with a one off sale price.

GPA doesn't have access to ALL SALES EVERYWHERE. Therefore issues with many sales (Silver, Bronze and modern keys particularly and with increasing confidence in the more recent Ages) are the closest to a "current value" you can get in our young hobby.  And if you are looking at 9.0 and theres just a few sales, but 8.5 and 9.2 have lots of RECENT sales, pick a number between the two averages for 8.5 and 9.2.

for instance, take Spidey 361-- you can pretty much use the GPA data like a DJI stock table.  These sales happen so often in high grades the averages form a graph that shows the direction its value is going and where its been.  If its going up, ask for more.  Going down it will be a tougher sell.

Did anyone watch Train Wreck recently? That's the film that really made me understand how much range Brie Larson has, the character she played was unlike anything else she has done recently. It makes me think the performances we didn't like are probably more of a directing or writing issue for her particular character. 

On 12/4/2021 at 3:59 PM, Gregd said:

As far as the market, the s and p is 4% from its high. This gyrating is common and happens every time a market shift is coming. Bear markets don’t last very long even when they come along.

You do realize that looking at only the S&P or any of the other major stock indicies only works if you own something like mutual funds linked directly to the index themselves. :gossip:

Especially since the indicies are heavily influenced by some of the bigger stocks and hides the fact that the advance/decline line in terms of both stock issues and volumes have generally been running on the negative side for the past few months.  In fact, if you look below the index numbers themselves, you'll find that a significant portion off the companies listed on these indicies, including some of the big boys, are actually already in bear market territory with some at prices running at some 20% to 50% below their recent highs.  hm

For long time comic book collectors, I imagine on some of those big negative days on the market, they are probably glad that they have some of their money tied up in the steady, but seemingly ever increasing vintage collectible comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

As for my market report, someone sold some small keys to the LCS lately, including first Captain Marvel, first Carol Danvers, and first Guardians. The MSH 12 & 18 seemed priced right at a couple hundred bucks, but they're asking like $1100 for the MSH 13. It's a nice looking book, but I couldn't imagine paying even half of that. Were raws ever that high? Holy cats. I'll be curious to see if it moves at all, or comes down in price, as I've just learned from the CGC boards that Brie Larson is mean and apparently doesn't pretend to care about comic books enough for them to like her performance, and therefore the future of her films, and corresponding value of the Carol Danvers books, are doomed, DOOMED I say!

I sincerely wish you all well if you should ever meet a real breathing woman in the future. Never give up!

On 12/7/2021 at 12:58 PM, F For Fake said:

As for my market report, someone sold some small keys to the LCS lately, including first Captain Marvel, first Carol Danvers, and first Guardians. The MSH 12 & 18 seemed priced right at a couple hundred bucks, but they're asking like $1100 for the MSH 13. It's a nice looking book, but I couldn't imagine paying even half of that. Were raws ever that high? Holy cats. I'll be curious to see if it moves at all, or comes down in price, as I've just learned from the CGC boards that Brie Larson is mean and apparently doesn't pretend to care about comic books enough for them to like her performance, and therefore the future of her films, and corresponding value of the Carol Danvers books, are doomed, DOOMED I say!

I sincerely wish you all well if you should ever meet a real breathing woman in the future. Never give up!

I can smell the neckbeard on some of the posts in this thread. 

On 12/7/2021 at 4:39 AM, lou_fine said:

You do realize that looking at only the S&P or any of the other major stock indicies only works if you own something like mutual funds linked directly to the index themselves. :gossip:

Especially since the indicies are heavily influenced by some of the bigger stocks and hides the fact that the advance/decline line in terms of both stock issues and volumes have generally been running on the negative side for the past few months.  In fact, if you look below the index numbers themselves, you'll find that a significant portion off the companies listed on these indicies, including some of the big boys, are actually already in bear market territory with some at prices running at some 20% to 50% below their recent highs.  hm

For long time comic book collectors, I imagine on some of those big negative days on the market, they are probably glad that they have some of their money tied up in the steady, but seemingly ever increasing vintage collectible comic book marketplace.  (thumbsu

Yes- as Warren Buffet said- he would tell his family only to own the S and P 500 and make it simple (and you’ll beat the other guys 80% of the time).  A good strategy to follow. 

I wonder if good advice is to tell those starting to collect is to diversify into different eras of books- golden age, silver and bronze and to diversify more, look at key issues, covers for popular themes in those eras (from an investing point of view). It seems they can go up or down independent of each other. 🤷🏻

On 12/5/2021 at 9:42 AM, Wreck-It Ralph said:

Do you think now would be a good time to buy and can you negotiate prices down from the last piece sold on GPA?

no disrespect intended, but in my experience, many major dealers have a hard time lowering their expectations on pricing for keys from recent all-time GPA highs, as has happened in 2021 on many books. this past spring saw new records set on so many books, but the market is different now. that's hard to come to terms with for many sellers. often they may just wait and hold the books, hoping prices move back up this coming spring. 

of course this does not pertain to all of them, and there are other places to buy, like auctions and stores. though many store owners are similar in this respect, in my experience. 

On 12/8/2021 at 9:09 AM, alexgross.com said:

no disrespect intended, but in my experience, many major dealers have a hard time lowering their expectations on pricing for keys from recent all-time GPA highs, as has happened in 2021 on many books. this past spring saw new records set on so many books, but the market is different now. that's hard to come to terms with for many sellers. often they may just wait and hold the books, hoping prices move back up this coming spring. 

of course this does not pertain to all of them, and there are other places to buy, like auctions and stores. though many store owners are similar in this respect, in my experience. 

Frankly, given recent history, I can't really blame them.  Keys are hard for them to replace, and they seem to eventually get the prices they want.

I end up buying a lot of dollar books from dealers with wall books I barely look at because the prices are so crazy to me.