• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Prices are cooling off which is a good thing for the hobby as the world reopens!

Hulk 181's and GSX'1 are leveling off to a slight pullback for example.

Get them now before they double again when Marvel/Disney really start making real films again.  2c

When they cast FF, X-men, and especially Wolverine......these prices will be a bargain. 

How many more copies are you buying at current levels?

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

How many more copies are you buying at current levels?

None.

I already have enough of each. 

Saying for people who have been on the fence for a while its a great time during the rest of the year to jump on in. 2c

Edited by NewWorldOrder

22 hours ago, TheOldCollector said:

The parts of this market right now that confuse me the most is why some books and not others. 

Some books can't be included no matter how hard speculators try, simply because they have zero to offer.

21 hours ago, TheOldCollector said:

But this markets craze isn't just key issues and first appearances it's pretty much everything.

I find "everything" far more confusing than "some books and not others". 

People are speculating BIG on the most obscure points now. Sure, the first meeting between two 1st tier characters (MCP 117) can be a big draw, but speculators today are spending money like sooner or later one of the books will have the same impact on the hobby as Hulk 181 has.

18 hours ago, VintageComics said:

I have seen multiple books sitting on eBay at lower prices only to have Comiclink prices go through the roof. I can't explain it but it happens.

And that doesn't mean the Comiclink sales are not real. I would bet money that the majority of them are. Josh runs a pretty tight ship from my experience and takes his reputation very seriously.

I agree with the ComicLink comment 100%, but as another member pointed out, not only was there one on eBay but they bought one on Reese’s website right after, and another prominent dealer had one on their website. Since then all three have sold but why on earth would someone pay 2X what they could have paid on multiple other sites for the same book? Are we at a point where $3,500 is considered pocket change and people just waste their money? I would love to meet the buyers. Oh, and all three other X-Men 101 9.6’s looked as nice or better than the one on Clink. 🤣

Edited by Silver

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Why, as I don't believe the neighboring FF annual issues around it are going for anywhere close to that kind of money?  ???

And rather surprising for that copy there, because it would appear to be rather loosely graded with more wear than I would expect for a CGC 8.5 graded book.  (shrug)

Not that I am complaining about it in any way though.  :banana:

I think so many people and speculators missed many boats since the craze began, and are trying to get a head start on anything remotely key-ish, though I think Annihilus is a strong candidate to speculate on. For [possible] example; Thor #160. I haven't looked into it, but I hear it's hot. Is it the first meeting of Thor and Galactus? I don't recall one prior to this, but even if it is, so what? Unless the MCU meeting shakes the hobby like nothing else in recent times, so what?

I just recently bothered to find out what FOMO means. In this current society I can see this being a real problem. Not real as in 'true', more like as in :eyeroll:.

14 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Guess there's enough speculators out there who feel that Annihilus must make an appearance in the MCU at some point.  I suppose it makes sense.  After Doctor Doom, what FF villain would make the most sense?  Annihilation Wave would make an interesting story as you could combine the FF and GotG.  

1 hour ago, MR SigS said:

though I think Annihilus is a strong candidate to speculate on.

Being an old timer, I guess I have no idea who this Annihilus character is and I thought Franklin was just some kind of baby.  (shrug)

As for a good FF villian, how about the big guy himself (i.e. Galactus) as I thought they were thinking of doing a retcon on the classic FF48 - FF 50 storyline for the next movie, or am I just showing my advancing age here?  lol

11 minutes ago, Exit said:
50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I thought Franklin was just some kind of baby.

Wait until you find out he has a sister lol So dumb :facepalm:

As long as it ends up being worth more than what I paid for it, then it's all good to me.  (thumbsu

I guess the FF Annaul 6 is a sure fire guaranteed winner for me since I din't have to pay anything at all for my copy of it.  :banana:

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Why, as I don't believe the neighboring FF annual issues around it are going for anywhere close to that kind of money?  

1st app of Tony Stark's sock.*

*credit given to the great @seanfingh

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Being an old timer, I guess I have no idea who this Annihilus character is and I thought Franklin was just some kind of baby.  (shrug)

As for a good FF villian, how about the big guy himself (i.e. Galactus) as I thought they were thinking of doing a retcon on the classic FF48 - FF 50 storyline for the next movie, or am I just showing my advancing age here?  lol

Annihilus, the grand poohbah of the Negative Zone.  Owner of the Cosmic Control Rod.  Pretty cool character. 

annihilus.jpg

8 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

None.

I already have enough of each. 

Saying for people who have been on the fence for a while its a great time during the rest of the year to jump on in. 2c

If you truly believe they will double in a year, why wouldn’t you buy more? Seems like guaranteed money

You know prices haven't eased up at all as I was pondering last night whether or not to bump the bid up to $280 or about double guide on this gorgeous looking painted pink colored cover copy of Flash Gordon #1:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/science-fiction/flash-gordon-1-gold-key-1965-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/122122-19304.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F5%2F1%2F24151113%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I guess I didn't have to ponder too long as it sold for a rather astounding $1,960; as compared to equivalent graded copies selling for only $227 back in 2017 and then an original label one for $576 in 2019 which I was hoping was just an outlier due to the upgrade potential.  :whatthe: 

Edited by lou_fine

38 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

If you truly believe they will double in a year, why wouldn’t you buy more? Seems like guaranteed money

Where did I say they will double in a year?

I already have my copies, again my point was to people who have been idling by not pulling the trigger on a book like GSX #1 or Hulk #181.  Not so much to make money, but for one's collection.    

Edited by NewWorldOrder

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You know prices haven't eased up at all as I was pondering last night whether or not to bump the bid up to $280 or about double guide on this gorgeous looking painted pink colored cover copy of Flash Gordon #1:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/science-fiction/flash-gordon-1-gold-key-1965-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/122122-19304.s?type=lotlink--bidnotice-tracked-dailystatus#

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F1%2F5%2F1%2F24151113%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I guess I didn't have to ponder too long as it sold for a rather astounding $1,960; as compared to equivalent graded copies selling for only $227 back in 2017 and then an original label one for $576 in 2019 which I was hoping was just an outlier due to the upgrade potential.  :whatthe: 

that is indeed a beautiful book though

18 hours ago, JazzMan said:

From the books I follow, it looks like many of them are starting to plateau and the prices stabilize.  I think this is the new baseline going forward.

That’s a bit of a relief 😅.

On 5/30/2021 at 12:47 PM, World Devourer said:

Yes, some were.

Obvious candidates were IH 180 & 182.

ASM #300, not so much. Not with that many 9.8 W copies available.

I believe some are justifiable market corrections, and others are mass impulse buys.

Bear and Bull, if you will.  :preach:

You seem very bearish on ASM 300.

can you name a more significant Marvel or DC book from the Copper Age?

Edited by jjonahjameson11