• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,859 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2022 at 9:22 PM, eddly said:

I'm seeing an increasing number of people buying "shipping charges" with comics thrown in. The shipping charges were more expensive than the comic, so I'm guessing it is the shipping charges that they were after. (shrug)

image.thumb.png.0dc17113937108d75e6dbac38e82b792.png

Sellers who dont accept returns sometimes use high shipping costs as a way to counter buyers who make up reasons to return books.

Sellers dont have to refund the original shipping in most cases.

Thats the only explanation I have.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, Norinn Radd said:

Yeah, there is usually major sandbagging on Heritage auctions.  Prices can triple or more in the final live bidding.

In the state in which they operate the Auction House is permitted to bid on auctions. Of course the Auction House is aware of the amount of placed bids.  The fix is totally and legally (in the State in which they are charted) in for their auctions if they choose it to be on any individual lot.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/12/2022 at 4:19 PM, Norinn Radd said:

Yeah, there is usually major sandbagging on Heritage auctions.  Prices can triple or more in the final live bidding.

Or sometimes even 10 times as in that case of the Mike Zeck Venom interior page artwork, as I believed it started at something like $330K but ended up at over $3.3M.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

Well, from the Heritage Auction results that we saw today, I guess we got our answer in that prices are not easing back down.  :)

Especially in the case of HG GA books and in particular classic GGA and pre-code horror covers as they still seem to be continuing their big march upwards. (thumbsu

Heck, even a CGC 6.5 graded copy of More Fun 73 with the first Aquaman and Green Arrow sold for $192K after a Heritage had sold a higher CGC 7.5 graded copy of the same book for only $111K back in April of 2021.  Looks like even high population count books like GSXM 1 are back on the move once again with a CGC 9.8 graded copy selling for $48K after dropping back into the mid to high $30K's towards the end of 2021  Not $264K this time for a CGC 9.8, but still pretty hot for another CGC 9.6 copy of Marvel Spotlight 5 to sell for $84K after languishing much lower prior to the end of 2021. :applause:

On 1/10/2022 at 3:42 PM, zosocane said:

Last night's $15.6K hammer price on the 7.0 OW is even more remarkable given that there is an active BIN listing on Ebay for a 7.0 C/OW for a full $5K less.

So, the eBay seller of the ASM 3 CGC 7.0 C/OW increased the BIN price from ~ $10,500 to $16,675.  With all the watchers on that eBay listing, I was suprised no one took it while it was listed for almost a full week at $5K less than the recent $15,600 CGC 7.0 OW sale on HA. 

On 1/13/2022 at 9:06 AM, MAR1979 said:

In the state in which they operate the Auction House is permitted to bid on auctions. Of course the Auction House is aware of the amount of placed bids.  The fix is totally and legally (in the State in which they are charted) in for their auctions if they choose it to be on any individual lot.

So are you saying they are bidding up their books that they own and have listed for auction, or consigned books that they are interested in owning?  Or both?  If their bid is the final high bid on a consigned book, then I get that.  However, if it's already their book and they win it, all that does is artificially inflate the price since they aren't paying themselves to keep the book.  It just remains in the inventory.  Am I missing something here? 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:06 PM, Vince G said:

So are you saying they are bidding up their books that they own and have listed for auction, or consigned books that they are interested in owning?  Or both?  If their bid is the final high bid on a consigned book, then I get that.  However, if it's already their book and they win it, all that does is artificially inflate the price since they aren't paying themselves to keep the book.  It just remains in the inventory.  Am I missing something here? 

I think the allegation is they are bidding on their own books to buoy the rest of the collectible comic market. Something I have heard for years now. Since we don’t know the buyers or sellers no one can prove or disprove this. 

Just wondering if this has been going on all along, wouldn’t some disgruntled/former  employee blow this sham operation up? Have I missed that part (yes- I know about the 80s coin thing, and saw the video on WATA)? And if this is happening, is it criminal? 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, Gregd said:

I think the allegation is they are bidding on their own books to buoy the rest of the collectible comic market. Something I have heard for years now. Since we don’t know the buyers or sellers no one can prove or disprove this. 

Just wondering if this has been going on all along, wouldn’t some disgruntled/former  employee blow this sham operation up? Have I missed that part (yes- I know about the 80s coin thing, and saw the video on WATA)? And if this is happening, is it criminal? 

Got it.  And yes, I have heard some chatter about this specific issue - some of the auction houses bidding up their own books.  So if that were the case, the motivation would be to artificially inflate the market, thus providing larger commissions to those same auction houses when cosigned books sell for those new elevated prices at future auctions.  Considering the insane run up with the AF 15s recently, I wonder if that's what may be happening here? 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:23 PM, Gregd said:

As far as I am aware in Texas the practice is sadly legal.  One of the multitude of reasons I no longer bid on anything Heritage offers.

Does Heritage do it on every item?  I doubt it, but they could if they so desire.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/16/2022 at 10:44 PM, MAR1979 said:

As far as I am aware in Texas the practice is legal.  One of the multitude of reasons I no longer bid on anything they offer.

Do they do it on every item?  I doubt it, but they could if they so desire.

What I do find interesting is that MCS (based in Arlington TX) lists their own books at auction, but their website indicates if it's an mcs book or a consigned book.  So bidder are informed where the book is coming from.  Final sale prices at auction seem to be more in-line with what is expected.  Such a reputable company.  That's how you create goodwill.  

On 1/16/2022 at 10:51 PM, Vince G said:

What I do find interesting is that MCS (based in Arlington TX) lists their own books at auction, but their website indicates if it's an mcs book or a consigned book.  So bidder are informed where the book is coming from.  Final sale prices at auction seem to be more in-line with what is expected.  Such a reputable company.  That's how you create goodwill.  

I’ve liked my transactions with them

On 1/16/2022 at 10:53 PM, Gregd said:

I’ve liked my transactions with them

My mistake - retracted

I do deal with MCS. Love their boxes, excellent and secure packing, and low shipping rates. I've had good dealings with them. That said it's all been small potatoes normal run books for me. I purchased only single book at auction from them 5 years ago so my sampling is too low for it to be of value as a data point.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/16/2022 at 11:02 PM, MAR1979 said:

What do you like: The Buyer's Premium? 1-2 month delays for them to ship?  The credit card and Paypal surcharge? The condescending customer service assuming they even answer a call or email?  How they brag about how much money they rake in from buyers? The fact that the head of the operation has been tied to fraud multiple times since he was 13 years old

Apologies for my uncalled for sarcasm but you may be in the minority that feels positive about them?   If collectors of collectibles were not so stupid they woudl have been out of biz decades ago. However collectors are that stupid was so Heritage thrives

I believe he was referencing MyComicShop (MCS), not Heritage.

I would insert the “shoulder shrug” emoji here……cause I don’t know how to explain it.   Two ASM 13 7.0 sell on Heritage one week apart.   The lesser PQ issue blows past GPA last sale from December  by 50% while the better PQ sells for 24% less one week later.   

Did all the big titles and the signature event bring in different buyers earlier.   Had some GA friends that said they got outbid on everything that week of Jan 9th. 

B4D4B136-4703-4943-8FCC-36A3544725FA.thumb.jpeg.3cc4b108f62a820b0f01e097182d8abe.jpegD868E356-0BF7-4D88-AA37-4CC0F8FDE434.thumb.jpeg.2d5784798e89fcbfa15ada474de22c3f.jpeg