• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

On 1/17/2022 at 2:08 PM, blazingbob said:

It is very explainable.

As each copy is sold the level of buyer may increase or decrease depending on the book being chased.

A buyers become replaced by B buyers,  B's by C etc.  

Each level of buyer has a "price point".  

Timing of purchase may also play a part since those Christmas credit card bills are starting to come in.

You see this when sellers are looking for the underbidders on certain books.  Obviously they have a copy and would even sell at the underbidder offer

Agreed.

I might also add the house shill or algorithm (legal in Texas) will only bump it to near the top bid what ever that amount may be.

Edited by MAR1979

On 1/16/2022 at 7:30 PM, Vince G said:
On 1/16/2022 at 7:23 PM, Gregd said:

I think the allegation is they are bidding on their own books to buoy the rest of the collectible comic market. Something I have heard for years now. Since we don’t know the buyers or sellers no one can prove or disprove this. 

Considering the insane run up with the AF 15s recently, I wonder if that's what may be happening here? 

Well, with this just completed Heritage Auction here, I certainly wouldn't be too concerned with the AF 15's, as opposed to the totally unexpected and unforeseen game changer that just took place in the OA market with the Zeck Venom page selling for an unheard of price of $3.36M, which a couple of boardies did find to be rather suspiciously high:  hm  (shrug)

On 1/13/2022 at 2:52 PM, KingOfRulers said:

Over $3.3M is wildly beyond anything I would've predicted. It reminds me of Heritage's sale of that graded Super Mario 64 last year for $1.5M. The final prices are so far beyond market price that it makes me question the legitimacy of the sale. Setting a record sales price at 20%, 30%, or 50% over what's largely considered to be FMV seems plausible to me. But this sales price is so far beyond that. Ultimately, I do believe the sale is legitimate, but it's at such a wild level above FMV where I can't help but be a tad suspicious.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:59 PM, chrisco37 said:

Right?  Nobody guessed this one within 3 million.  

On 1/13/2022 at 3:02 PM, KingOfRulers said:

AKA, I believe the sale is legitimate, but I wouldn't be surprised if I heard otherwise.

If that's the case, it certainly did its intended job as the OA boards are just abuzzing with how much this sale was a game changing moment for the OA market and how their values have now just rocketed right out of this world, along with lots of chatter about which other pages are now clearly worth more than this record setting $3.36M.  :devil:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

On 1/17/2022 at 11:08 AM, blazingbob said:

It is very explainable.

As each copy is sold the level of buyer may increase or decrease depending on the book being chased.

A buyers become replaced by B buyers,  B's by C etc.  

Each level of buyer has a "price point".  

Timing of purchase may also play a part since those Christmas credit card bills are starting to come in.

You see this when sellers are looking for the underbidders on certain books.  Obviously they have a copy and would even sell at the underbidder offer

I get all of that.   But these type of results underscore the volatility in the market still.  Buyers seeing the same book so differently.  Probably countless examples of speculation books over the past 2 years where you would see big swings between sales - But Still odd to see it on established books

On 1/13/2022 at 4:21 AM, lostboys said:

Sellers who dont accept returns sometimes use high shipping costs as a way to counter buyers who make up reasons to return books.

Sellers dont have to refund the original shipping in most cases.

Thats the only explanation I have.

Possibly more international buyers these days too. Shipping o/s is costing more than ever.

(And don’t get me started on eBay’s unique “import charges”).

Will try to post my recap of Session 1 results from Clink auction tomorrow.   I will say many of the books that had identical grade sales in the Dec auction are up from those Dec numbers - not sure about how everything is stacking up vs GAP just yet but the spreadsheet seems less red this time around.    Maybe December is the new January in terms of annual soft spot......

On 1/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, silverseeker said:

Prices on some of the books I was following that closed this evening on CL seemed surprisingly strong for a Friday night…I’m looking at you, Tales of Suspense #52, CGC 7.0. :smile:

Agreed.   I was following my usual favourites of late, and they went 40-60% up on usual final bid prices.   But across the board things have been finishing surprisingly strong.

image.thumb.png.2041b3eabe1b73020ab9a09ba5a82887.png

On 1/21/2022 at 10:20 PM, Microchip said:

Agreed.   I was following my usual favourites of late, and they went 40-60% up on usual final bid prices.   But across the board things have been finishing surprisingly strong.

image.thumb.png.2041b3eabe1b73020ab9a09ba5a82887.png

Wow, those FFs sold for crazy money relative to GPA…