• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
45 45

6,926 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Being an old timer, I guess I have no idea who this Annihilus character is and I thought Franklin was just some kind of baby.  (shrug)

As for a good FF villian, how about the big guy himself (i.e. Galactus) as I thought they were thinking of doing a retcon on the classic FF48 - FF 50 storyline for the next movie, or am I just showing my advancing age here?  lol

You are an old timer who doesn't know who Annihilus is? He debuted back in the late 60's and was around prominently through the 70s as a foe to the FF. I was first introduced to him in FF 140 I believe where he is on the cover...cool looking villain too.

Edited by comicginger1789

2 hours ago, piper said:

That’s a bit of a relief 😅.

I may have spoken too soon.  I saw a bump over the weekend again.  Still upward trajectory for most main titles.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

why shift the goalposts?

Not shifting goal posts.  Thinking about the biggest books of each era, and TMNT1 throws a bit of a kink to the list, so trying to focus on Marvel and DC only:

Golden Age = Action Comics 1

Silver Age = Amazing Fantasy 15

Bronze Age = Hulk 181

Copper Age = Amazing Spiderman 300

Edited by jjonahjameson11

26 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

I may have spoken too soon.  I saw a bump over the weekend again.  Still upward trajectory for most main titles.

The prices on many of the keys in the most recent Clink auction looked soft compared to recent auctions.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not shifting goal posts.  Thinking about the biggest books of each era, and TMNT1 throws a bit of a kink to the list, so trying to focus on Marvel and DC only:

Golden Age = Action Comics 1

Silver Age = Amazing Fantasy 15

Bronze Age = Hulk 1

Copper Age = Amazing Spiderman 300

I'm sure you meant Hulk 181

On 5/30/2021 at 3:38 PM, bluehorseshoe said:

I mean this constructively, but honestly, shouldn’t have you secured this stuff 2-3 years ago?  The stuff I am buying now is an easy buy, because I’m not competing with anyone for it, which leaves more money to compete for stuff that is always on a want list. For example: Kraven stuff. You should already have the Zeck series secured, those are 4-figure books in a year.

For X-Men keys, buying in Jan 2021 was still fine for the SA keys, and for 94+, the end of Feb. (thumbsu

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, piper said:

The prices on many of the keys in the most recent Clink auction looked soft compared to recent auctions.

Not an all inclusive list by any means, but just some that I had been tracking.

X-Men 137 9.8 - it seemed to have plateaued at ~$600 but there was a sale for $1,000 at the end of last week.  Too early to be a trend, but might be an indicator of things to come.

ASM 300 9.6 - that one seems to have softened a bit over the last few sales.

image.thumb.png.63b9212a74bae298f2e5d42df483239e.png

Eternal 1 CGC 9.4 - although there's been sporadic peaks and valleys, it seems to have stabilized around $600.

image.png.980c645c0fe2d422fdc7eeba9253c557.png

Bottom line, it looks like the answer is...it depends.  I think that there are many comics whose values have been established and will hover in a fixed zone while there are still a few comics that still have not reached their perceived market value.

2 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Not an all inclusive list by any means, but just some that I had been tracking.

X-Men 137 9.8 - it seemed to have plateaued at ~$600 but there was a sale for $1,000 at the end of last week.  Too early to be a trend, but might be an indicator of things to come.

ASM 300 9.6 - that one seems to have softened a bit over the last few sales.

image.thumb.png.63b9212a74bae298f2e5d42df483239e.png

Eternal 1 CGC 9.4 - although there's been sporadic peaks and valleys, it seems to have stabilized around $600.

image.png.980c645c0fe2d422fdc7eeba9253c557.png

Bottom line, it looks like the answer is...it depends.  I think that there are many comics whose values have been established and will hover in a fixed zone while there are still a few comics that still have not reached their perceived market value.

Nothing like a good chart to support pricing.  Always works when I whip out a chart to a buyer of one of my books.  How about that May 6th - 13th chart.  Imagine if I sold the book at $700 and the guy looked a week later to see it selling for $300.  

3 hours ago, bluehorseshoe said:

or 1/3 or so of what you paid in February 2021 for a 94 if you bought it 2-3 years ago

I'm still kicking myself for not ponying up an additional $200 for a 9.4 copy two years ago.  The difference between a 9.2 and 9.4 now is ridiculous.  No idea the spread would ever get that big.

20 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Not shifting goal posts.  Thinking about the biggest books of each era, and TMNT1 throws a bit of a kink to the list, 

You asked most significant copper age and then changed the question to marvel / dc only.   If that’s not shifting the goal posts then what is?   As I said your point stands so who cares.   Just odd that you won’t admit it ;)

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

You asked most significant copper age and then changed the question to marvel / dc only.   If that’s not shifting the goal posts then what is?   As I said your point stands so who cares.   Just odd that you won’t admit it ;)

There's nothing to admit...I've asked this question about what is the most significant Copper Age book at least 10 times in the past, with the disclaimer being Marvel or DC because everyone on the planet knows its TMNT 1, without the disclaimer.  This time, I forgot to indicate Marvel and DC only in my post.