• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,931 posts in this topic

On 1/24/2022 at 6:48 PM, buttock said:

No.  The person you quoted is wrong.

He quoted me. I pulled it from Heritage's Terms. From their website:

Conducting the Auction:
13. Notice of the consignor’s liberty to place bids on his lots in the Auction is hereby made in accordance with Article 2 of the Texas Business and Commercial Code. A “Minimum Bid” is an amount below which the lot will not sell. THE CONSIGNOR OF PROPERTY MAY PLACE WRITTEN “Minimum Bids” ON HIS LOTS IN ADVANCE OF THE AUCTION; ON SUCH LOTS, IF THE HAMMER PRICE DOES NOT MEET THE “Minimum Bid”, THE CONSIGNOR MAY PAY A REDUCED COMMISSION ON THOSE LOTS. “Minimum Bids” are generally posted online several days prior to the Auction closing. Any successful bid placed by a consignor on his property on the Auction floor, by any means during the live session, or after the “Minimum Bid” for an Auction have been posted, will require the consignor to pay full Buyer’s Premium and Seller’s Commissions on such lot. Auctioneer or its affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates.

terms-and-conditions.pdf

On 1/24/2022 at 7:33 PM, Shrevvy said:

He quoted me. I pulled it from Heritage's Terms. From their website:

Conducting the Auction:
13. Notice of the consignor’s liberty to place bids on his lots in the Auction is hereby made in accordance with Article 2 of the Texas Business and Commercial Code. A “Minimum Bid” is an amount below which the lot will not sell. THE CONSIGNOR OF PROPERTY MAY PLACE WRITTEN “Minimum Bids” ON HIS LOTS IN ADVANCE OF THE AUCTION; ON SUCH LOTS, IF THE HAMMER PRICE DOES NOT MEET THE “Minimum Bid”, THE CONSIGNOR MAY PAY A REDUCED COMMISSION ON THOSE LOTS. “Minimum Bids” are generally posted online several days prior to the Auction closing. Any successful bid placed by a consignor on his property on the Auction floor, by any means during the live session, or after the “Minimum Bid” for an Auction have been posted, will require the consignor to pay full Buyer’s Premium and Seller’s Commissions on such lot. Auctioneer or its affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates.

terms-and-conditions.pdf

I'm pretty sure this is discussing a reserve.  You can't bid on your own auctions at HA.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:16 PM, buttock said:

I'm pretty sure this is discussing a reserve.  You can't bid on your own auctions at HA.

The terms do not reference a reserve, but reference a "bid placed by a consignor on his property on the Auction floor, by any means during the live session"

Regardless, all I was doing was pointing out the terms of service for Heritage and Comiclink are similar. I've seen the claim multiple times that Texas legalizes all sorts of nefarious practices. That Heritage has an algorithm that bids you to your max secret bid because of those loose laws (therefore doing it legally). Whether or not a consigner can bid on their item does not play into the accusation that the auction house is bidding against real buyers. Reading the terms of service of Heritage and Comiclink, there are more similarities than differences. Both allow the auction house, its employees and affiliates to bid on items in their auctions. Therefore, both could bid against "real" buyers if they choose too (or, more likely, Bob in shipping can bid on a book for his collection). I also recognize that terms of service can give a company more latitude than what their current actions may be. 

If someone doesn't want to bid in Heritage auctions, that is fine. The reasoning should not be based on the state of Texas and their "permissive" laws. There are auctions I will not buy from for various reasons. However, I routinely bid in both Heritage and Comiclink auctions. 

Sorry again for what feels like a big thread drift.

Because legalese is always fun, here are the relevant points from each. This may not be all inclusive as my eyes do glaze over a bit when reading this. Note that Comiclink states a bid by a consignee is NOT in good faith while Heritage states it IS in good faith. Bold and italics are mine. 

Comiclink Terms and Conditions:

9. COMICLINK reserves the right to refuse to honor any bid or to limit the amount of any bid, in its sole discretion. A bid is considered not made in “Good Faith” when made by an insolvent or irresponsible person, a person under the age of eighteen, or is not supported by satisfactory credit, or for other reasonable grounds. Regardless of the disclosure of his identity, any bid by a consignor or his agent on a lot consigned by him is deemed not to be made in “Good Faith.”

37. COMICLINK, its owners and its employees may bid on any lots owned by others but may not bid on lots owned by themselves or each other. COMICLINK expressly reserves the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to it.

Heritage Terms and Conditions:

15. Auctioneer reserves the right to refuse to honor any bid or to limit the amount of any bid, in its sole discretion. A bid is considered not made in “Good Faith” when made by an insolvent or irresponsible person, a person under the age of eighteen, or is not supported by satisfactory credit, references, or otherwise. Regardless of the disclosure of his identity, any bid by a consignor or his agent on a lot consigned by him is deemed to be made in “Good Faith.” Any person apparently appearing on the OFAC list is not eligible to bid.

21. The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:30 AM, ThatNerdyCanuck said:

Surprised at some of the prices of EC books that sold on Comic Link last night. Those don't seem to be going down in price anytime soon. Same with the bunch of Canadian EC's that have been on Heritage, crazy prices. 

I don’t look at or follow the big auction house prices any more.

But I am a huge EC fan. I just finished up my complete New Trend collection.

I started to see this coming a few years ago and concentrated on these books while I still had the chance.

In the past year or so, I have seen prices triple on grades in 2.0-5.0. I no longer have to have any more high grade copies but I can only imagine where they are going.

When I originally started on my first collection, the horror books were $5-8 each for just solid grade. Now the same books are in the $300-400 range! :preach:

The Canadian issues of Weird Suspenstories have ALWAYS been super rare and pretty much unattainable. 

The comic scene is wild right now…I am a crypto guy, new to this world. Thinking of diversifying into CGC comics but do you guys see the market cooling down anytime soon? Books like Punisher limited 1 and his first appearance in Spider-Man have gone insane. Not to mention ghost rider, hulk 181 and others. 

Personally I have been sitting on the sidelines too long watching the prices go up. In my opinion I think things could get even crazier especially if eBay integrates comics into their collections feature. It would be really nice if we had tools like the ones offered on GoCollect baked right into eBay. These kind of things are inevitable and will only serve to help push this space forward. 

On 1/25/2022 at 5:05 PM, Singh Capital said:

The comic scene is wild right now…I am a crypto guy, new to this world. Thinking of diversifying into CGC comics but do you guys see the market cooling down anytime soon? Books like Punisher limited 1 and his first appearance in Spider-Man have gone insane. Not to mention ghost rider, hulk 181 and others. 

Personally I have been sitting on the sidelines too long watching the prices go up. In my opinion I think things could get even crazier especially if eBay integrates comics into their collections feature. It would be really nice if we had tools like the ones offered on GoCollect baked right into eBay. These kind of things are inevitable and will only serve to help push this space forward. 

welcome to the boards. spend some time looking around and reading lots of different threads that have taken place here both lately, and in the past. reading older threads gives a certain perspective that you may not find on the current ones. there is a ton of info here, and a ton of opinions too. 

On 1/25/2022 at 8:05 PM, Singh Capital said:

You know.. the market is crazy.

All I gotta say is that when it comes to a collector’s decision to invest or collect, there’s something to be learned from it.

I personally don’t see the market cooling down anytime soon. Right now it’s difficult to acquire the books that some people have already acquired. To me it just seems like there’s this huge mountain that newer collectors need to climb in order to get a Hulk #181 nowadays.

I would’ve said the same thing you’re saying 4 years ago when I got into this hobby. But 4 years later, everything’s even more money. I promise you we’re gonna look the market again from this point on only for it to be even more money in a couple of years.

Overall I don’t see this hobby getting weak for any reason and all I see is growth as there’s so many avenues people can use to get into comic collecting. 

Edited by Terry JSA

On 1/25/2022 at 11:07 PM, VintageComics said:

What do you guys think is going to happen when Marvel starts releasing mutant material?

It's going to take dump?

What are you talking about?

On 1/26/2022 at 2:10 AM, lizards2 said:
On 1/26/2022 at 2:07 AM, VintageComics said:

What do you guys think is going to happen when Marvel starts releasing mutant material?

It's going to take dump?

No, I'm torn as to what will happen when X-men movies start appearing with the rest of the Marvel characters. I've been talking with some friends and I'm not sure. Some think the title has more legs while others think the run of the last year has maxed it out. 

It's unprecedented territory.

On 1/26/2022 at 6:19 PM, VintageComics said:

No, I'm torn as to what will happen when X-men movies start appearing with the rest of the Marvel characters. I've been talking with some friends and I'm not sure. Some think the title has more legs while others think the run of the last year has maxed it out. 

The kids will dictate the success, not us.  I know that much.

On 1/26/2022 at 3:29 AM, Microchip said:

The kids will dictate the success, not us.  I know that much.

Of the movies or the value of the comics?

I know the movies will crush. They're probably the most popular franchise Marvel owns and have been a fan favorite for over 40 years.If they build an MCU the way they did with Avengers this could be huge, just like the Avengers run was. 

I was speaking more towards whether people think an already hot comic market on X books can get any hotter. 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, VintageComics said:

I was speaking more towards whether people think an already hot comic market on X books can get any hotter.

Oh yeah, no doubt about it. I can already imagine the absurd prices mutant books would hit if Marvel Studios releases some official announcement regarding the X-Men. 

On 1/25/2022 at 11:19 PM, VintageComics said:
On 1/25/2022 at 11:10 PM, lizards2 said:
On 1/25/2022 at 11:07 PM, VintageComics said:

It's going to take dump?

Wow - prices are already extreme across the X-creMENt titles. I know how the movies tend to affect pricing, but some time the speculator driven runs on these books/titles will cease - it's hard to believe any of the run up is due to terrible movies. The Marvel movies are pretty universally bad, but I recognize they do have an effect. The family went to see the latest Spider-Man, and gave it all thumbs down.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:49 AM, lizards2 said:

The Marvel movies are pretty universally bad, but I recognize they do have an effect. The family went to see the latest Spider-Man, and gave it all thumbs down.

I haven't seen the last few Avengers related movies. I thought they were all pretty bad and didn't look appealing. 

I'll have to watch Endgame again to really know how I feel. It was so-so to me the 1st time around, but I was tired.

I think a lot of the new movies are missing the inspiration that the 1st ones had and are churning out a lot of garbage. DC movies are even worse. My kids and I walked out of Suicide Squad it was so bad. 

I do think that a mutant movie series could go either way, depending on how much they pander to various groups. I'm expecting them to be bad, actually. lol I like to keep my expectations low as I get older. 

On 1/26/2022 at 2:05 AM, Singh Capital said:

I am a comic guy new to crypto. Personally I have been sitting on the sidelines too long watching the prices go up. Feeling mild Fomo. If BTC goes down 20K I consider selling some comics and buy BTC. There has been 80 to 90 % crashes before with Bitcoin. You have to know when to buy and when to sell. And when to hodl. 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, VintageComics said:

Of the movies or the value of the comics?

I know the movies will crush. They're probably the most popular franchise Marvel owns and have been a fan favorite for over 40 years.If they build an MCU the way they did with Avengers this could be huge, just like the Avengers run was. 

I'm not sure if they can do what they did with the Avengers, if by that you mean releasing a bunch of solo films and building up to the big team-up.

First of all, even in the comics the Avengers were a team-up of established characters, unlike the FF or the X-Men who were introduced as a team.  Even in the GSX #1 reboot, for the most part we were watching Professor X assemble a team of mutants we hadn't heard of before (Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, and the ill-fated Thunderbird).

I agree that an MCU X-Men franchise will be a smash hit.  But with the exception of Wolverine or possibly Magneto, I don't think there is any individual character in the whole group who's guaranteed to have a good showing at the box office, except insofar as we believe in Kevin Feige to just make it work because he's a genius.