• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS (UPDATED)
1 1

24 posts in this topic

John Jackson Miller of Comichron.com wrote an update to his Ultimate Fallout #4 analysis.  

https://www.comichron.com/faq/ultimatefallout4sales.html

He believes there are only about 54,000 to 60,000 copies of Ultimate Fallout #4 Second Printing combined.

Since Ultimate Spider-Man #1 (2011) Pichelli Sketch Variant required retailers to order 5,000 copies of the UF #4 2nd Prints during a 5-day window, even if all of those copies were ordered that way, there would only be 12 copies earned (60,000 divided by 5,000 copies per order).

It's very unlikely that all 54,000 to 60,000 were part of orders of 5,000, so the number of copies of this book earned by retailers is likely to be under 10.  Maybe only 5 or 6 were earned this way.

If Marvel produced 20 copies, required a multi-thousand dollar order of reprints during just 5 days of opportunity to earn one, and only 6 have been graded by CGC ten years later, it's pretty clear this is the rarest Marvel comic (particularly a comic with any significance on the pages inside the book - early Miles Morales story, second appearance, origin, first issue of a new series) of all time.  Where are the other 10 to 14 copies?  It has been ten years.

With more Miles Morales media coming, this could easily be the biggest modern variant story this industry will ever see.

I wish I had one. 

I don't.

Edited by valiantman

Off the top of my head, the retailers who might have ordered 5,000 copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 are:

• Bedrock City Comics
  • Mile High Comics
  • Graham Crackers Comics
  • New Dimension Comics
  • Midtown Comics
  • Laughing Ogre Comics

In fact, I'm pretty sure Ogre did as the guy who ran it at the time understood the variant game. That's about it - you'd need a bunch of stores and demand, etc. Someone should check with @bedrockcomics on this.

23 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

It's always amazing how some of these 'most valuable variants', are really 'blah' covers,   
I mean this sketch variant is booooriiinng.... and the Del Otto 667, not even close to some of his best covers. 

Meh, glad I have no skin in the game. 

For this much money, you could get a commission from the artist to exact specifications of your imagination.  It's a different game entirely to pay that much and get a "mass-produced" item, even if the mass is only 20.

20 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Off the top of my head, the retailers who might have ordered 5,000 copies of Ultimate Fallout 4 are:

• Bedrock City Comics
  • Mile High Comics
  • Graham Crackers Comics
  • New Dimension Comics
  • Midtown Comics
  • Laughing Ogre Comics

In fact, I'm pretty sure Ogre did as the guy who ran it at the time understood the variant game. That's about it - you'd need a bunch of stores and demand, etc. Someone should check with @bedrockcomics on this.

Not 5,000 copies of Ultimate Fallout #4, but 5,000 copies of the 2nd print.

20 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

It's always amazing how some of these 'most valuable variants', are really 'blah' covers,   
I mean this sketch variant is booooriiinng.... and the Del Otto 667, not even close to some of his best covers. 

Meh, glad I have no skin in the game. 

man, you are right.  That is a terrible cover.  

There's always overage on the printings. Copies for the artists, other important people, etc. I'd be shocked if anything less than at least 100+ were printed.

That being said, what I'm not saying is that I believe 100+ still exist.

20 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

(Not mine)

There is one on ebay:baiting:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143838362191

20210510_012710.jpg

20210510_012833.jpg

20210510_012814.jpg

20210510_012743.jpg

20210510_012848.jpg

Probably no more than 10, maybe 20

Just poor poor logic 

I have 2 books of which definitely no more than 10 were ever printed. You want to know the print run was. It was 10

Only 8 of one and 3 of the other were ever graded.

Guess what, nobody cares. But I have 2 extremely rare books.

Ghosts indeed

4 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Probably no more than 10, maybe 20

Just poor poor logic 

I have 2 books of which definitely no more than 10 were ever printed. You want to know the print run was. It was 10

Only 8 of one and 3 of the other were ever graded.

Guess what, nobody cares. But I have 2 extremely rare books.

Ghosts indeed

So what are they? 

1 minute ago, Dr. Dank said:

20210421_184506.jpg

20210421_184602.jpg

Those are sweet! 

BTW.. 

I would disagree with this. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

nobody cares.

I know it is not as popular right now, but I have always enjoyed Maxx and both these and the Ashcans have been going up. If they would just do another show or make a movie these would gain a TON of attention.  

That aside there are still several of us out there that would love to own those books. Congratulations.  

1 minute ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Those are sweet! 

BTW.. 

I would disagree with this. 

I know it is not as popular right now, but I have always enjoyed Maxx and both these and the Ashcans have been going up. If they would just do another show or make a movie these would gain a TON of attention.  

That aside there are still several of us out there that would love to own those books. Congratulations.  

Thanks. I suppose I should say not many care. I thought about selling these but someone had suggested to make sure I let them go for what I feel they are worth to me, because I will most likely never ever see them again. 

So I doubt very much anyone wants to pay 25k apiece for these.

But maybe you're right. One day 

Just now, Dr. Dank said:

Thanks. I suppose I should say not many care. I thought about selling these but someone had suggested to make sure I let them go for what I feel they are worth to me, because I will most likely never ever see them again. 

So I doubt very much anyone wants to pay 25k apiece for these.

But maybe you're right. One day 

There are several members here who use the free posts on ebay to place things for sale at the,   " I do not care if I sell this, but if you are going to pay that price :takeit: number "  then they just let it ride. Sometimes the market catches up and they get their asking price, sometimes the book blows up and they sell it, other times it just sits and sits. Only one way to really tell as this current market has been crazy.

You never know , one of those GME or Crpto millionaires might see those and know how hard they are to come by and not really care about price.  (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

There are several members here who use the free posts on ebay to place things for sale at the,   " I do not care if I sell this, but if you are going to pay that price :takeit: number "  then they just let it ride. Sometimes the market catches up and they get their asking price, sometimes the book blows up and they sell it, other times it just sits and sits. Only one way to really tell as this current market has been crazy.

You never know , one of those GME or Crpto millionaires might see those and know how hard they are to come by and not really care about price.  (thumbsu

Doesn't help my ebay limit is only 10k lol