• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would Getting A Roy Thomas Sig Bring Value?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I see my Conan The Barbarian comics from issue 25 through 65 do not have much value, even though they are VF and up.  I bought them off the rack myself and treated them kindly.  Adding a Roy Thomas signature is $90, plus CGC grading costs.  Would that bring a good ROI?  Should a SS book be pressed?

P.S.  I have issues 1 through 24 as well but they have good value without the signature so should I just leave them as-is?

Edited by RobHW
added P.S.

Nobody knows what your personal definition of good ROI is

but I’d take a look at eBay for sold copies and copies for sale (that people aren’t buying) to get an idea of how similarly priced and graded books to yours might do, even if they’re not the same exact title

but instinctively I’d say the pricing doesn’t support getting Cgc SS for the later books.  

The early books might require more research, and depend on rarity or grade.

Also SS books can be pressed, but of course that’s more money, but it depends on the book.

it’s generally quite difficult to grade non- high grade non- keys with Cgc SS for profit 

Edited by revat

There may be more value in keys that are characters he created or had a hand in, Avengers 57 (Vision), Marvel Premiere 15 (Iron Fist), Hulk 180/181 (Wolverine) as he is 80 years old and one of the few old school writers still with us. I sent a few last year and will be submitting a few more this time around also. 

As far as Star Wars goes, I have purchased several signed Roy Thomas yellow label CGC (2-4, 6-7 and 9) below the price of the books if they weren't signed and in some cases, way lower. I am going to get an 8 signed with a  remark as I never think of ROI, but just want to feed my collection. 

Love this discussion.    I too, am thinking about these very same things.  I have CGC graded  Conan 1 (7.5) & 23 (8.5) and Captain Marvel 17 (8.5) that I am considering having Roy sign.   

Two questions:

1)  Should I pay for pressing? It looks like they were pressed.  I cannot see anything that looks like it would benefit from a press.  What risk is there from Roy or someone putting bends on them?....

2)  How much of a risk am I taking in getting a lower grade back???  

Has anyone done this before?  How'd it go?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm glad to see all the feedback.  It is sooo helpful.  I was last active collecting back in the mid 70's and I have a lot to learn.  So what I've concluded from my research since my initial post is that you should get a nice ROI on a SS book that is highly desirable.  In my case that means at least Conan the Barbarian 1, 23 and 24.  Maybe also issues 2 and 3.  The more desirable the issue and the higher the grade, the higher the ROI will be.  There is also the option of getting a remarque with the signature for an additional $50, which I guess is a quick relevant doodle like a Red Sonja headshot doodle added to a Red Sonja issue like 23 or 24.  I think the remarque is probably not a good ROI unless it's on a very highly desirable issue and very highly graded, like a Conan the Barbarian issue 23 graded 9.8.  Also Roy Thomas is renowned as a writer, not an artist, so I'm not sure it makes sense.  There's really no ROI for SS on less desirable issues regardless of the condition, however it's interesting that Conan the Barbarian 37 has a whopping 53 SS census count, much more than issues 2 and 3 at 18 SS each, and even more than issue 23 at 51 SS.  Why is that do you think given the FMV of issue 37 graded 9.8 is only $180?   

Edited by RobHW

12 hours ago, iexx said:

Love this discussion.    I too, am thinking about these very same things.  I have CGC graded  Conan 1 (7.5) & 23 (8.5) and Captain Marvel 17 (8.5) that I am considering having Roy sign.   

Two questions:

1)  Should I pay for pressing? It looks like they were pressed.  I cannot see anything that looks like it would benefit from a press.  What risk is there from Roy or someone putting bends on them?....

2)  How much of a risk am I taking in getting a lower grade back???  

Has anyone done this before?  How'd it go?

Thanks for your feedback.

No one is collecting enough data to have any kind of sample size to have qualified conjecture about your questions (and certainly it would depend on the signer).  There's certainly enough anecdotal evidence to suggest grades can and do get lowered on some CGC SS re-slabs.  I guess the question is actually:  How much is it worth to you to keep your grade (or possibly improve it)?  If it's worth it, then pay.  If not, then don't.  

Roy Thomas is a good writer and a voluminous writer/adapter. But I am not sure that he is/was EVER the draw on a comic so I would not expect his sig to increase value as it would for other writers.

This is no disrespect to Roy Thomas. I still remember reading my Roy and Dann Thomas comics!

Agree with Bird. I was thrilled to pick up some original signed Star Wars books signed by writer Archie Goodwin (who passed away on 1998) for about 25 bucks per and was thrilled and may be the only one. The hobby would be boring if we all collected the same stuff.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, RobHW said:

I'm glad to see all the feedback.  It is sooo helpful.  I was last active collecting back in the mid 70's and I have a lot to learn.  So what I've concluded from my research since my initial post is that you should get a nice ROI on a SS book that is highly desirable.  In my case that means at least Conan the Barbarian 1, 23 and 24.  Maybe also issues 2 and 3.  The more desirable the issue and the higher the grade, the higher the ROI will be.  There is also the option of getting a remarque with the signature for an additional $50, which I guess is a quick relevant doodle like a Red Sonja headshot doodle added to a Red Sonja issue like 23 or 24.  I think the remarque is probably not a good ROI unless it's on a very highly desirable issue and very highly graded, like a Conan the Barbarian issue 23 graded 9.8.  Also Roy Thomas is renowned as a writer, not an artist, so I'm not sure it makes sense.  There's really no ROI for SS on less desirable issues regardless of the condition, however it's interesting that Conan the Barbarian 37 has a whopping 53 SS census count, much more than issues 2 and 3 at 18 SS each, and even more than issue 23 at 51 SS.  Why is that do you think given the FMV of issue 37 graded 9.8 is only $180?   

37 has a Neal Adams covers. Neal has been a pretty prolific SS signer. Barry Smith has done a microscopic fraction of NA books. That leaves Roy Thomas, Stan Lee and maybe some celebrities for the rest of the books. The reason for more 37s is almost certainly Neal Adams.

For 18+ years, people have been doing SS Books for reasons that have nothing to do with ROI. That is not an effective way of analyzing what may have been done and why. 

On 5/12/2021 at 12:18 AM, seanfingh said:

37 has a Neal Adams covers. Neal has been a pretty prolific SS signer. Barry Smith has done a microscopic fraction of NA books. That leaves Roy Thomas, Stan Lee and maybe some celebrities for the rest of the books. The reason for more 37s is almost certainly Neal Adams.

Conan 37 not only has a Neal Adams cover; Adams also illustrated the story inside.  That was a big deal when it came out.

I was collecting comics In the 1970s as a teenager. There were many comics in those days which commanded a premium, whereas today the demand for them is not as strong.  If you check out Overstreet price guides from that era, you should find that Conan 37 was one of those issues. 

As a buyer of Roy Thomas it's great because you can obtain SS slabs of non keys for under 50 and sometimes I pick them up for $30 so paying him what the op listed at $110 unless it's a key not so great of deal. However, if it's not a key with some other sigs then paying $110 to get him to sign a book that already has Neal Adams, Stan Lee, etc, would be worth it imo add only add to its appeal down the line and if it's for your PC then it's a no brainer pay his asking price.

Help Please! I plan on getting Roy Thomas to sign a Iron man comic with an iron man head shot remarque. Anyone who has a remarque by him. Could you please tell me how much space it takes up on the cover. Thank you. The book I am submitting is beautiful and I thought a silver or gold signature and remarque would be cool if it doesn't distract from the classic cover

20210502_131500_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, John Worley said:

Help Please! I plan on getting Roy Thomas to sign a Iron man comic with an iron man head shot remarque. Anyone who has a remarque by him. Could you please tell me how much space it takes up on the cover. Thank you. The book I am submitting is beautiful and I thought a silver or gold signature and remarque would be cool if it doesn't distract from the classic cover

20210502_131500_HDR.jpg

I'm sure it varies, but here is one of mine as an example :tink: 

GetImage.aspx?c=4032681&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=