• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do certain sub-grades effect the overall grade of a card more than others?

18 posts in this topic

For example, I was reviewing some cards I got graded recently. One is a MTG card. Sub grades - Centering 9.5, Corners 8.5, Edges 8.5, and surface 7.5. Add them up and you get 34.0. Divide by 4 (four grades), and you get an overall average of 8.5. CGC overall grade was an 8. 

Alot of other cards were like this too. For example I had a Dark Charizard holo that was a 10, 8.5, 9.0, and 6.5 respectively. This also totals 34, and when divided by 4, you get an overall of 8.5 CGC total grade was a 7.5. 

What am I missing? Surface counts for a higher chunk of the average when factoring in to the total? Thanks.

On 5/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, defaultstivaper said:

For example, I was reviewing some cards I got graded recently. One is a MTG card. Sub grades - Centering 9.5, Corners 8.5, Edges 8.5, and surface 7.5. Add them up and you get 34.0. Divide by 4 (four grades), and you get an overall average of 8.5. CGC overall grade was an 8. 

Alot of other cards were like this too. For example I had a Dark Charizard holo that was a 10, 8.5, 9.0, and 6.5 respectively. This also totals 34, and when divided by 4, you get an overall of 8.5 CGC total grade was a 7.5. 

What am I missing? Surface counts for a higher chunk of the average when factoring in to the total? Thanks.

The centering sub-grade I don’t think matters much at all. For example:

6B067177-8E68-4474-8E0C-758C1B1D3FE0.jpeg

By the way, this card was resubmitted to PSA and was regraded 6.5. I have lost faith in CGC’s strict grading. Won’t be submitting any other cards with them. 

Edited by jd619641

1 hour ago, jd619641 said:

By the way, this card was resubmitted to PSA and was regraded 6.5. I have lost faith in CGC’s strict grading. Won’t be submitting any other cards with them. 

lol PSA graded it higher and you are complaining CGC isn't strict in the same sentence :ohnoez: 

52 minutes ago, Iceman399 said:

lol PSA graded it higher and you are complaining CGC isn't strict in the same sentence :ohnoez: 

I think you read that wrong. I am complaining ABOUT CGC’s strict grading

13 minutes ago, jd619641 said:

I think you read that wrong. I am complaining ABOUT CGC’s strict grading

That's exactly how I read it... 

You can't complain about them being strict if they are being strict lol if cgc graded it a 10 and then psa graded it a 6.5 you could... But it doesn't work the other way unfortunately 

9 hours ago, jd619641 said:

Yeah just wait until PSA starts using that new AI software. Good luck with that

On 5/9/2021 at 4:01 PM, PokemanDude90 said:

This is my personal opinion and should not be treated as fact unless confirmed by CGC. Let me know if anyone can find an example to refute this. 

Your overall grade can be 1 point higher than your lowest subgrade, but this is only applicable until an overall grade of 8. 

Once you get to 8.5 and above, your lowest subgrade can be a maximum of .5 lower than your overall grade. Meaning, an overall 8.5 will never have a 7.5 subgrade. An overall 9 will never have an 8 subgrade, etc. 

In your example, the reason why your MTG card got an 8 was your surface 7.5 grade which capped it at an 8. Many of my 8's would be 8.5's if not for a 7.5 subgrade. Your Dark Charizard got an overall 7.5 which was 1 point higher than the lowest subgrade of 6.5, which is allowable.

Below is a perfect example illustrating the rule. Vileplume beats Groudon ex in 3 out of 4 subgrades, and has a higher subgrade total (35 vs 34) and a higher subgrade average (8.75 vs 8.5). But just like your MTG example, the 7.5 capped it at an 8 while Groudon ex got the 8.5.

image.png.284709df3a71008b42890a2c8aa85435.png

Some have said Surface is weighed more in the overall grade calculation, but here's another example with the same subgrade breakdown as Vileplume, except Corners got a 7.5 instead of Surface. Capped at an 8 as well. Rule still holds.

image.png.1bbfd71c5e9d7aa0bca04da9d8de3247.png

Again, this is my opinion as a collector that happened to pick up on a pattern. If I'm right, this is a genius play on CGC's part to really distinguish each card's overall quality once you get to that 'Mint' category (8.5, 9, 9.5, 10 pristine, 10 perfect).

Having a .5 allowable deviation on ANY subgrade is tough, and it's why it's so hard to get higher CGC grades!! 

Long term I think 8.5's and above will be seen as highly collectible for the reasons above. But only those of us that paid the price to get subs, as CGC spends 3 to 4 times longer grading subgraded slabs vs those that take the easy route, er I mean those that forgo the subs because they 'don't matter'. 

;)

I think the circadian rhythm of a 8 compared to that of a 9, while weighing the inertia of a 9.5 and the centrifugal force of a 10 will cause a downward negative gravitational pull causing the ink to mark a slab with a 9. I've tried and tested this method for 6 months. My, what I call, "Ink Slab Numerical Notification Theory" is sound; however, CGC hasn't verified it because they think I am crazy.

5 hours ago, joe_signs said:

I think the circadian rhythm of a 8 compared to that of a 9, while weighing the inertia of a 9.5 and the centrifugal force of a 10 will cause a downward negative gravitational pull causing the ink to mark a slab with a 9. I've tried and tested this method for 6 months. My, what I call, "Ink Slab Numerical Notification Theory" is sound; however, CGC hasn't verified it because they think I am crazy.

ISNN'T

10 hours ago, joe_signs said:

So what happens when you put a straight CGC 1-1-1-1 Energy Card ontop of a perfect 10 1st Ed. Charizard?

Is this the secret to time travel?

lol

3 hours ago, Peter C. said:

So I have a psyduck munch card coming back to me with a 9, but it has sub grades of 9/10/9/10. Shouldn't it be a 9,5?

Nope, two 9’s means it’s a 9 as they are the lowest grade and there’s two of them. If one of the 9’s were a 9.5 then the card would be a 9.5 overall.