• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine split on my Vampire Tales annual 1?

13 posts in this topic

I would like your opinions on this Vampire Tales annual 1 I just got in. The book would be an easy 9.0/9.2 (the back cover is absolutely perfect), were it not for a 1" split on the bottom of the spine. What would this single defect drop the book to? You can see the split on the scan below.

1016.jpg

Tough break. I'd have to check my grading guide, but my inclination is that it takes it out of the VF range . . . as in "none allowed" - clearly an example of the soon-no-longer-to-exist "Qualified" grade 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

takes it out of the VF range

Takes it out of 8.0 or takes it out of 7.0 - 9.0 (anything with a VF in the name) range?

Check your guide, but I believe the latter . . . sorry.gif

Send it to me for closer evaluation . . . insane.gif

I would like your opinions on this Vampire Tales annual 1 I just got in. The book would be an easy 9.0/9.2 (the back cover is absolutely perfect), were it not for a 1" split on the bottom of the spine. What would this single defect drop the book to? You can see the split on the scan below.

1016.jpg

Yeowtch. Technically, a 1" split on a comic drops it to VG. But that's a comic. What's 1" on a mag equivalent to on a comic? 3/4"? 1/2"? That'd still be a generous 6.0.

Yeowtch. Technically, a 1" split on a comic drops it to VG. But that's a comic. What's 1" on a mag equivalent to on a comic? 3/4"? 1/2"? That'd still be a generous 6.0.

Where are you reading that a 1" split knocks a book down to a VG? In the OSGG? If so, I think you are taking it too literally, but your post brings up a good point. The OSGG says that a 1" split is allowed in VG, but that is assuming that all the other defects listed are present. By the same logic, any comic with a staple detached at the centerfold would be an automatic 4.0, even if the rest was perfect, since VG is highest grade that allows that particular defect. Should a book with a 1" split and nothing else be the same as a book with a 1" split, staple pop, corner creases and spine roll? All those defects together would be allowed on the book in 4.0. confused-smiley-013.gif The grading guide is not set up to handle comics with a single large defect on an otherwise great looking copy. Those guidelines have led to some serious confusion and should be amended.

Personally, I wouldn't grade this magazine lower than a 7.0. Books like this are VERY tough to nail down since they exist in such a grey area. Definitely GLOD territory.

Tough break. I'd have to check my grading guide, but my inclination is that it takes it out of the VF range . . . as in "none allowed" - clearly an example of the soon-no-longer-to-exist "Qualified" grade 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Where are you reading that a 1" split knocks a book down to a VG? In the OSGG? If so, I think you are taking it too literally, but your post brings up a good point. The OSGG says that a 1" split is allowed in VG, but that is assuming that all the other defects listed are present. By the same logic, any comic with a staple detached at the centerfold would be an automatic 4.0, even if the rest was perfect, since VG is highest grade that allows that particular defect. Should a book with a 1" split and nothing else be the same as a book with a 1" split, staple pop, corner creases and spine roll? All those defects together would be allowed on the book in 4.0. confused-smiley-013.gif The grading guide is not set up to handle comics with a single large defect on an otherwise great looking copy. Those guidelines have led to some serious confusion and should be amended.

Personally, I wouldn't grade this magazine lower than a 7.0. Books like this are VERY tough to nail down since they exist in such a grey area. Definitely GLOD territory.

So call me strict. That's how I read the OSGG - the highest grade in which a particular defect is allowed is the highest grade a comic can be if it has that defect. confused-smiley-013.gif What can I say? I only go by what the OSGG says.

I can tell you though that the OSGG does not say "assuming that all the other defects listed are present". That appears to be an assumption on your part. Whatever, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

If I was selling the book, calling it a 7.0 would probably get me a disappointed buyer. Instead I'd put it in the high end of VG, say 4.5, and note that it was only technically because of the split. That would get me a happy buyer.