• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars Comic Variants and Reprints
2 2

11 posts in this topic

So, I'm a newbie here, but used to lurk these boards a lot back around 2010 or so.  I collected a lot in the early eighties in my teens, and again around 2004-6 when my son was born and my folks gave me my old collection to store in my garage instead of theirs. =)   Time in between went somewhere . .not sure where.  Anyhow, I mostly collect MTG cards and play D&D with my son and friends, he never really gained interest in comics even though he loves fantasy, sci-fi ect...So I took out the old comic collection the other day and decided to price them and I found out that comics have gone bonkers since 2010 or so when I last paid any attention.  I was pretty stoked and am thinking of selling a few that have value right now in order to fund some other purchases.  One of the things I noticed was that Star Wars Comics have really taken off.  I have a nice copy of Star Wars #2 that I want to sell, but I am confused about reprints, variants . . .whitman, newstand ect . . I did a quick search and couldn't find what I was looking for.  Maybe I just don't know where to look.  I have the whitman .30 cent newstand variant.  Where can I find info about pricing for this?  Ebay is not helping me right now.  Is there a thread that somebody can point me to?  Can anyone share any information?  Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Brian

Star wars #2.jpg

Edited by BrianNichols
date wrong

The CGC census does not have prices.  It is not a price guide.  It just tells you how many have been graded in each label type and grade.

There are various guides to check - GPA, GoCollect, Key Collector Comics, to name a few.  EBay past sales and mycomicshop current asking prices are other choices.  Google can help you.

18 minutes ago, BrianNichols said:

Thanks for replying, I'll check it out.

Just an fyi

Gocollect.com 

Is a freeish price guide that also lists the census numbers on the same page when you look up an issue or book, I say freeish, cause not all prices are either as up to date without paying for service or show na cause of not enough sales

But

That said if your looking up issues anyway lol and curious of a relative value of the same issue, it may be what you need :foryou:

Some Whitman reprints do have a barcode.

Your copy has the barcode in the UPC box, which I think is actually significant. 

Lots of knowledgeable Whitman collectors hang out in this thread. Post your book there.

The Whitman Thread - Bronze Age Comic Books - CGC Comic Book Collectors Chat Boards (cgccomics.com)

Edited by MisterX

Cgc should make some info graphics about identifying these. I’ve seen them mislabel a bunch of 2nd prints as 1st prints, especially GI Joe books for some reason. 

Not all star wars reprints say reprint on the cover, and it’s not easy to spot in the indicia. I think I may do an episode about this on my vintage star wars comic youtube channel.