• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist Proof Question

22 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Peter L said:

Hi

I am going to buy an Artist Proof and was offered either one sided or double sided at an increased price.  Is there a benefit of getting a double sided artist proof?

Thanks!

Before laying out any money on an artist proof you should probably look at their lack of resale on the secondary market and know that what you're buying is effectively the new car of the comic art world; once it's off the lot you're losing half the value 

Is it a proof because no physical art exists ?  Is it being marketed as a 1 of 1 proof ?

For the double-sided proof... is it the same image on both sides ?? 

Or is it one image on one side and the opposing view on the other side ??  Kind of like putting your palms together and one side looks like the other in reverse?

To me, anything (print, proof, physical art) is fair game as long as you're told and understand what you're getting.  Then it's a matter of you deciding if the price is worth it to you.

20 hours ago, Peter L said:

Hi

I am going to buy an Artist Proof and was offered either one sided or double sided at an increased price.  Is there a benefit of getting a double sided artist proof?

Thanks!

You might want to ask the artist what defines an artist proof for them..Historically, a proof print is just that, an early strike to make adjustments before the edition has begun.  Possibly not numbered, and possibly varying slightly from the regular edition.  Maybe not even signed if it was salvaged from the dumpster by a collector!  

A double sided print could have added collector value as a novelty, or if it shows progress in the proofing process.  David

This currently ongoing CLink auction might shed some light on the status of resale market for artists proofs.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021sept%26itemtype%3D1%26Artist%3DRUSSELL%20DAUTERMAN%20%26searchdbf%3D0%23Item_1511055&id=1511055&itemType=1

Printed or original , I love Dauterman’s work !

double sided...so on one side is the front of the scene and on the other side is the back of the scene? groovy man!

On 5/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, aokartman said:

You might want to ask the artist what defines an artist proof for them..Historically, a proof print is just that, an early strike to make adjustments before the edition has begun.  Possibly not numbered, and possibly varying slightly from the regular edition.  Maybe not even signed if it was salvaged from the dumpster by a collector!  

A double sided print could have added collector value as a novelty, or if it shows progress in the proofing process.  David

this!

On 9/19/2021 at 11:55 AM, Carlo M said:

This currently ongoing CLink auction might shed some light on the status of resale market for artists proofs.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2021sept%26itemtype%3D1%26Artist%3DRUSSELL%20DAUTERMAN%20%26searchdbf%3D0%23Item_1511055&id=1511055&itemType=1

Printed or original , I love Dauterman’s work !

For comparison, you can what the artist sold this for originally  

https://russelldauterman.square.site/product/marauders-10-cover-artist-s-proof/142?cp=true&sa=false&sbp=false&q=false&category_id=8

On 9/25/2021 at 9:15 AM, cesium_7 said:

that original sale mentions a "tiny traditionally-drawn doodle" as well but I don't see that, does anyone?

YOU DON'T EVEN GET THE TINY DOODLE!

For future reference:

MARAUDERS #10 cover artist’s proof

$450.00

Artist's proof (1/1). 11x17" giclée print of digitally-drawn art, on Strathmore Bristol 500 Series board. Signed and labelled by Russell. Only one proof is sold per page, and comes with a tiny, traditionally-drawn doodle. See FAQ for more info.

Currently listed as "out of stock"

marauders10.jpg

Edited by Will_K

On 9/25/2021 at 3:20 PM, Bird said:

that original sale mentions a "tiny traditionally-drawn doodle" as well but I don't see that, does anyone?

YOU DON'T EVEN GET THE TINY DOODLE!

That is what I got for my Dauterman AP. It is on s post-it that was attached on the back . It is a nice touch but I would have preferred the drawing done directly on the back of the board or in the front at the bottom. Would have added a bit of authenticity to the piece . I told Russell so, he said he would have obliged if he had known my preference.

carlo 

534FEF10-5DDD-4B33-975F-0C4F48E7B78D.jpeg

AB508B68-4DA0-4D75-8ED2-01195650F7F9.jpeg

On 9/26/2021 at 9:37 AM, Carlo M said:

That is what I got for my Dauterman AP. It is on s post-it that was attached on the back . It is a nice touch but I would have preferred the drawing done directly on the back of the board or in the front at the bottom. Would have added a bit of authenticity to the piece . I told Russell so, he said he would have obliged if he had known my preference.

carlo 

534FEF10-5DDD-4B33-975F-0C4F48E7B78D.jpeg

AB508B68-4DA0-4D75-8ED2-01195650F7F9.jpeg

yes I would have expected it on the bottom border or something

That is a bit annoying.

So no tiny doodle with the resale apparently.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:46 PM, Sean- said:

Dauterman cover auction ended at $95, 79% loss from the original price tag.  Haven’t seen a lot of monoprints on the auction sites so could be an outlier, but much lower finish than I would have expected,

I think you should lower your expectations to something like high end poster instead of original art. There is simply too much hand drawn, high quality art out there for the digital stuff to rise much.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:46 PM, Sean- said:

Dauterman cover auction ended at $95, 79% loss from the original price tag.  Haven’t seen a lot of monoprints on the auction sites so could be an outlier, but much lower finish than I would have expected,

The mono prints being called original art always reminded me of the phrase, "don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining" 

On 10/19/2021 at 5:43 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I think you should lower your expectations to something like high end poster instead of original art. There is simply too much hand drawn, high quality art out there for the digital stuff to rise much.

True. If the seller of the Dauterman cover sold to make money, they were either stupid, oblivious to the fact that it was a monoprint or just not aware of the current market consideration to Artists Proofs and Mono Prints.

Hand drawn artwork is unfortunately, a limited and diminishing resource. I expect the market to change from its current state in the next 10-20 years though. I'm not sure if there's any artist born in this millennium who creates their artwork traditionally. 

On 10/19/2021 at 6:07 PM, Hockeyflow33 said:

The mono prints being called original art always reminded me of the phrase, "don't pee on my head and tell me it's raining" 

I've never seen monoprints being called 'original art'. Maybe they've been called 'Artists proofs' but the fact that it's a print of digital work is often clearly stated. I don't think any dealer would dare risk their reputation by making such a claim.

As the owner of not one but two APs by Dauterman I am officially disappointed by this result .  Granted this is not the best of his recent covers but I would have expected a price closer to the initial price . This auction result is not consistent with the speed at which the AP are being sold by the reps of artists such as Dauterman himself or Larraz. Oh well …win some lose some .

Maybe this result will cool down the primary market for these prints?

On 10/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, Shin-Kaiser said:

True. If the seller of the Dauterman cover sold to make money, they were either stupid, oblivious to the fact that it was a monoprint or just not aware of the current market consideration to Artists Proofs and Mono Prints.

Hand drawn artwork is unfortunately, a limited and diminishing resource. I expect the market to change from its current state in the next 10-20 years though. I'm not sure if there's any artist born in this millennium who creates their artwork traditionally. 

I've never seen monoprints being called 'original art'. Maybe they've been called 'Artists proofs' but the fact that it's a print of digital work is often clearly stated. I don't think any dealer would dare risk their reputation by making such a claim.

Actually, it isn’t that limited at all. Just go on Comic Art Tracker; there is a lot of new stuff, as well as tons of old stuff. Now, there may be some value in it in 25 or 30 years, but the ROI is likely to be low—particularly as Millenials pay off their college loans.