• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vol.4 #29
2 2

53 posts in this topic

Hello

I was wondering the value of this comic if anybody would know? It is new/unread and was signed by Peter Laird with a head sketch at my request in 2008 and has been stored in a comic bag since. I had some help yesterday (thank you) but cannot find any information about its actual current worth so am hopeful someone here may know about this particular issue? I am new to using forums so I apologise if I am posting too frequently or in the wrong places.

Thanks for any insight.

thumbnail_IMG_3365.jpg

Is the crease on the comic or the bag? The condition affects the price a lot, but I think $500-$1200 

you can do some searches on eBay, the “sold” copies mean more when gaging value

Edited by revat

44 minutes ago, revat said:

Is the crease on the comic or the bag? The condition affects the price a lot, but I think $500-$1200 

you can do some searches on eBay, the “sold” copies mean more when gaging value

Hi, thanks for replying. I have attached all pics of the condition - I hope this is OK. Comics shipped from Mirage without boards/bags and so this is the condition it arrived in and has been unread/bagged since.

thumbnail_IMG_3467.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3466.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3465.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3464.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3463.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3462.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3461.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3460.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3459.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3458.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3457.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3454.jpg

@sorrenmj

I know you've posted this book a lot already 

And while you should have read the :rulez: first

We should have directed you sooner so please be patient and post here

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

This is the area for grade estimates 

:tink:

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@sorrenmj

I know you've posted this book a lot already 

And while you should have read the :rulez: first

We should have directed you sooner so please be patient and post here

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

This is the area for grade estimates 

:tink:

Hello, apologies if I broke any rules. I will check out the grade estimates link you posted - thank you

1 minute ago, sorrenmj said:

Hello, apologies if I broke any rules. I will check out the grade estimates link you posted - thank you

Ya no worries at all mate, you're ok, it's a bit of a getting used to it kind of thing as finding everything the first time you look can be hard

So no worries at all! ^^

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya no worries at all mate, you're ok, it's a bit of a getting used to it kind of thing as finding everything the first time you look can be hard

So no worries at all! ^^

Thanks for understanding. I have posted at the grade estimate forum as suggested, which will be the 3rd or 4th time I enquired about this comic, you're right! Thanks again for sharing the link. No more posts from me tonight!

5 minutes ago, sorrenmj said:

Thanks for understanding. I have posted at the grade estimate forum as suggested, which will be the 3rd or 4th time I enquired about this comic, you're right! Thanks again for sharing the link. No more posts from me tonight!

If you get a response in the thread forum you just posted in, feel free to respond lol

It may seem intimidating but it's not, you didnt know, but we could have saved you some grief if we had informed you sooner Haha

There used to be a pinned thread at each section of the board to explain what copper was for or bronze and so om

Looks like they did away with that pinned thread, SO REALLY THERE IS NO WAY YOU COULD HAVE Known hahah

SO DONT BE EMBARRASSED  cheers mate and POST ON!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

For comparables:

Steve Lavigne sold, on May 8th, a copy of issue 32 signed on the cover by Laird, for $260.

Yesterday he offered a copy of issue 31 signed on the cover by Laird for $1000, and it appears to still be unsold.

2 hours ago, Ryan. said:

For comparables:

Steve Lavigne sold, on May 8th, a copy of issue 32 signed on the cover by Laird, for $260.

Yesterday he offered a copy of issue 31 signed on the cover by Laird for $1000, and it appears to still be unsold.

Thanks Ryan. I have done some reading around and for some reason issue #29 seems to be the white whale for collectors. I cannot find a reason why this seems to be, since the last few issues all had the limited 1,000 printings?

#29 was the first non-distributed, sold direct from mirage, $10 cover price issue. At the time it was mainly TMNT collectors and fans who ordered it, not comic book dealers. Therefore it went into more “black hole” collections. At the time it was published, TMNT wasn’t the most popular property, so very few of them went to the “mainstream”. 

1 hour ago, spracknetch23 said:

#29 was the first non-distributed, sold direct from mirage, $10 cover price issue. At the time it was mainly TMNT collectors and fans who ordered it, not comic book dealers. Therefore it went into more “black hole” collections. At the time it was published, TMNT wasn’t the most popular property, so very few of them went to the “mainstream”. 

That's the answer I have been looking for, thanks. Now I can calm down! It seems vol. 4 issue #29 is kind of like TMNT #1 first print in that only the TMNT collectors and those who took a chance managed to obtain a copy. Now it's scarce and sought after in the same way.

1 minute ago, spracknetch23 said:

I don’t think anyone was buying it for investment potential either. Volume 4 was kind of niche in and of itself. Only TMNT fans were buying every issue. I remember at the time some collectors were even complaining about the 10 dollar cover price. 

Yes I just was saying to my buddy here that I expect the $10 charge at the time would have put a lot of people off. I just had to have the next issue which is why I paid the price and twice at that, one signed and one unsigned!

5 minutes ago, spracknetch23 said:

I bought a copy at the time too. It was one of the ones Laird signed and sketched on the inside back cover at no extra charge. I sold my entire run of volume 4 a few years back, so unfortunately it’s long gone. 

I wonder how much it would cost to buy all volume 4 now?

I’m one of those black hole collectors lol Spracknetch you should be a comics historian, everything you said was 100% spot on to how I remember it. I’d only add that it wasn’t a popular series even for active fans at the time. IDW launched only a few short years later and exploded because they made their comics more reader friendly. I’m a volume 4 appreciator though. The Lawson/Dooney covers are especially fantastic. I attached my favorite pair.

1310829A-98F8-4AB0-8487-AB95CB783BF1.jpeg

268C547E-C24B-40DF-BE87-56F370DBCDDC.png

1 minute ago, ectocooler said:

I’m one of those black hole collectors lol Spracknetch you should be a comics historian, everything you said was 100% spot on to how I remember it. I’d only add that it wasn’t a popular series even for active fans at the time. IDW launched only a few short years later and exploded because they made their comics more reader friendly. I’m a volume 4 appreciator though. The Lawson/Dooney covers are especially fantastic. I attached my favorite pair.

1310829A-98F8-4AB0-8487-AB95CB783BF1.jpeg

268C547E-C24B-40DF-BE87-56F370DBCDDC.png

I love this cover too, very effective. volume 4 covers are gorgeous!