• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brundage FILE COPIES at HA.COM
3 3

57 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Prices were definitely strong. I was going to bid on a bunch of the later auctions (shadows and weird tales) but I fell asleep!  Doh. zzz Walked away with a few DeSoto covers. 

...same here ... I made it to 1925 and bailed. I was bidding on several but saw the writing on the wall. I had a stack consigned in the auction, some were surprising. I held back a dozen or so of my favorites and wonder about those... I could use the money but I'll likely never be able to afford them again. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I think Tarzan is the Action #1 to the Shadow's 'Tec #27 still... but I can't think of any obvious book that would be in 3rd place.  1st Doc Savage, maybe?

I think my days of getting key pulps are rapidly coming to a close, but there's still going to be a lot of room on the edges for a little while longer.

Even though the price was strong for the copy in this auction, The Spider #1 still seems like a relative bargain. The character isn't as well known outside the pulp world and the issue is far more common, so I get why, but it it does have a way cooler cover than the first Shadow.  

9 hours ago, Aman619 said:

DONT I know it... I was the underbidder.. couldn’t shake the winner, so I bailed after going way above what I wanted to pay.  Sorry buddy.. I wanted it too!

I wasn't the winner. I'm happy with my fine copy I bought at a show years ago for $75.00.

I was watching big time. Tossed out a few bids, more aggressive late bidding than expected.

I was bidding on one of the Spring Heeled Jack books. But some of the Weird Tales really went Cray-cray!

How many sharp All Story Tarzans are out there?  That Heritage copy was hyped as the best, similar to the write ups for these copies.. but they really said “best we have offered or seen,” which is not the whole picture..  it would seem to me that we just don’t have the data to compare.  Both are really cool issues, and scarce.  One sold for a lot a long time ago, and this Shadow just sold in a very different heating up market overall for a new record shattering the Tarzan price.

‘last year there was some article through Heritage marketing that said the All Story McGlocklin copy was now worth 200K.  Ok sure, but based on what?  I guess today though, maybe it was after talking to this week’s Shadow 1 buyer, who was looking for a chance to pick up the best pulps at whatever price it would take to get them...

Edited by Aman619

lol.  were you the Heritage source for that quote?  I tend to agree that the first Tarzan is the biggest pulp. He is arguably the biggest thing to emerge from the pulps. Although I tend to think that going forward, the concept of the Great white savior triumphing in darkest Africa, descended from British Royalty no less (!!) and thru genes alone rises to the top of the food chain all on his own, in todays climate, is a tough sell... and Tarzan's recent movie/media events have failed to ignite much popular success. But that goes for all the pulp heroes conceived 100 years ago, not as relevant as when conceived as the world has moved on significantly since then.

2 hours ago, Aman619 said:

lol.  were you the Heritage source for that quote?  I tend to agree that the first Tarzan is the biggest pulp. He is arguably the biggest thing to emerge from the pulps. Although I tend to think that going forward, the concept of the Great white savior triumphing in darkest Africa, descended from British Royalty no less (!!) and thru genes alone rises to the top of the food chain all on his own, in todays climate, is a tough sell... and Tarzan's recent movie/media events have failed to ignite much popular success. But that goes for all the pulp heroes conceived 100 years ago, not as relevant as when conceived as the world has moved on significantly since then.

It will be interesting to see what happens if a new TV show or movie tied to a pulp character is actually a  success.  Conan and Buck Rogers are both supposedly in the works.

Then again, Buck Rogers is an odd case... his first appearance is relatively common for a 1920's pulp, which I think keeps the price down still.

Yes... but remember John Carter movie a few years ago.  Meticulously adheres to the stories, and completely underwhelmed everybody because the incredibly original concepts Burroughs created fresh were already hackneyed ideas most people have been watching for decades in movies etc.  where the beef!  By the way, I enjoyed it.  Maybe because I saw it in week two all alone in a huge theatre on the big screen! Always nice.

similarly I used to think Adam Strange might have made an interesting movie... but after John Carter it’d be way too derivative!  Unfortunately I think the only way these characters can work is a fresh reboot with the basic elements.. but then you risk losing all of us who know and care about these characters!  But, then again a carefully crafted period piece does still work now and then.  Nevers on HBO was well done.  But probably will never be finished due to Whedons toxic reputation.. 

44 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

Yes... but remember John Carter movie a few years ago.  Meticulously adheres to the stories, and completely underwhelmed everybody because the incredibly original concepts Burroughs created fresh were already hackneyed ideas most people have been watching for decades in movies etc.

That's why I specified a successful adaptation.  Not really sure what the last really successful pulp character adaptation was... maybe the Disney Tarzan?  It's been a while, whatever it was.

4 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Not really sure what the last really successful pulp character adaptation was

From what I keep on hearing about the next attempt at reviving a pulp character: The Shadow by Patterson and Sitts, there is another miss on the horizon.

The book is slated for release on July 13. Here's the book's synopsis from the publisher:

In this explosive detective thriller, a 1930s vigilante finds himself in the late twenty-first-century where he teams up with a mysterious teenager, whose looming secrets may impact both of their futures.

Only two people know that 1930s society man Lamont Cranston has a secret identity as the Shadow, a crusader for justice. One is his greatest love, Margo Lane, and the other is fiercest enemy, Shiwan Khan. When Khan ambushes the couple, they must risk everything for the slimmest chance of survival . . . in the future.

A century and a half later, Lamont awakens in a world both unknown and disturbingly familiar. The first person he meets is Maddy Gomes, a teenager with her own mysterious secrets, including a knowledge of the legend of the Shadow.

Most disturbing, Khan's power continues to be felt over the city and its people. No one in this new world understands the dangers of stopping him better than Lamont Cranston. And only the Shadow knows that he’s the one person who might succeed before more innocent lives are lost.

8 hours ago, Aman619 said:

No, I wasn’t the source quoted on it but I do know there are a lot of people looking for it. 

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It will be interesting to see what happens if a new TV show or movie tied to a pulp character is actually a  success.  Conan and Buck Rogers are both supposedly in the works.

Then again, Buck Rogers is an odd case... his first appearance is relatively common for a 1920's pulp, which I think keeps the price down still.

Netflix Conan series, Red Sonja Movie... I happen to think Shadow would kill in a movie or series format with the right approach. Buck Rogers would have to be way over the top, but could work too. Pulp heroes are alive and well.