• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clarification on CGC Card Service Fees and Tiers

4 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, First time posting here. I had a few questions that I couldn't seem to find the answers to. My first questions is regarding Sub-grades. It says the current cost for sub-grading is $10 dollars. Is it correct to assume that if I choose this option each card will cost its grading fee + $10 dollars? Or would it be $10 dollars extra added to the total amount? It's a bit ambiguous because on one hand it states $10 so I would appear its an extra $10 dollars added onto the total amount but other options (for example error and pedigree) will specifically state their cost as grading fee + $5. Which is the correct?

Secondly I found it difficult to find a clear answer on how exactly Express and Walkthrough tiers work. I understand they have a significantly shorter turn-around-time when they are processed but I do not fully understand how they work in relation to when they are delivered and opened. For example, right now CGC says they are currently opening packages delivered the week of March 22. Say I submitted a card under 'Walkthrough' and it was delivered tomorrow on 05/18/2021, would they see the box clearly labeled "WK" and move that to the front of the line or would it wait until they they start opening boxes the the week of May 17th and then prioritize it then?

I apologize if  these topics have been discussed in the past but I am new to card grading and I just want to understand the process better before submitting more cards. 

Thank you 

• Administrator

For your question about pricing, yes it is an additional 10 per card to add sub grades. And for the question about Walkthrough, boxes marked as such are pulled when they are received, and then they move to grading and so forth, hence the quicker turn around times. We always verify that the boxes marked WK are actually paid for as such. No skip the line pass if you just write it on the box and don't pay for that tier.

That’s well and all but it was my first time submitting a card that got delivered a week ago and not knowing I didn’t mark the package as express I contacted you guys and was told there was nothing that could be done about it? I don’t see how this is so. So now I have to pay express price to wait just as long as someone who may have chose a way cheaper option? I mean people make mistakes I think that there should be a better corrective action then just saying your pretty much screwed

Edited by Kblais87

4 hours ago, Kblais87 said:

So now I have to pay express price to wait just as long as someone who may have chose a way cheaper option? I mean people make mistakes I think that there should be a better corrective action then just saying your pretty much screwed

That's not exactly accurate....  When your box is finally opened, your cards will be fast-tracked and take only a few weeks to get back to you graded.  Everyone else with bulk and economy will still be waiting months to get the cards back after the box is opened.   When you select express tier, you not only get to jump the grading line (well except for those choosing walk-thru), you get to jump the box opening line too.  However, to jump the box opening line you HAVE TO write EX on the outside of the box, and this is stated on the https://www.cgccomics.com/services/shipping-your-trading-cards/  page.  Not sure how you missed it (item #7) as you had to view this page in order to know what shipping address to use to send your cards to.

There's a saying that "ignorance of the law is not an excuse", so more or less the same thing here.  You can't be bitter at CGC for your own doing!

So you aren't getting a "double skip", but you will still move faster than the cheapies!

EX.jpg

Edited by Rufuss C. Kingston