• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some Unconfirmed Speculation About Two Brothers
16 16

124 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

... ... 

We may be looking at the wrong thing for a war connection.  hm

Most of these books have a "K" or "C" as part of the corner code and Heritage has been rationing these books out.  One possible military connection is that both brothers consumed lots of K-rations and C-rations.  That yarn may not be as appetizing for collectors as the one about promises made between two brothers, but it would make a great Korean War survival tale for the brother who made it back.  

I am still VERY curious as to the details of the second set of brothers you learned of.  While I would love to know names and such I am more interested in more details of this story.

@sfcityduck can you confirm that one of the two sets is, in fact, the correct one?  

Respectfully,

PDG

On 1/11/2022 at 1:09 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

Most of these books have a "K" or "C" as part of the corner code and Heritage has been rationing these books out.  One possible military connection is that both brothers consumed lots of K-rations and C-rations.  That yarn may not be as appetizing for collectors as the one about promises made between two brothers, but it would make a great Korean War survival tale for the brother who made it back.  

This is the marking on mine.  I believe this is a "K" but am not too familiar with the distributor markings.  How do you determine what these markings mean?

PDG

Black Diamond Western 11 possible k.jpg

Edited by PDGray
forgot to add pic

On 1/11/2022 at 12:09 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

OK, so following your reasoning, if these two books were owned by the same person, they might have spent a lot of time on KP...:whatthe::baiting:

51389987573_deb9d7c52d_c.jpg

49745687907_8131e60b01_c.jpg

On 1/11/2022 at 4:36 AM, PDGray said:

This is the marking on mine.  I believe this is a "K" but am not too familiar with the distributor markings.  How do you determine what these markings mean?

PDG

Black Diamond Western 11 possible k.jpg

Pretty hard to define distributor markings. They are regional and pertain to many different distributors. Seems like the Church and Crippen marks have been pretty well figured out but most are lost to time.

For some reason, I have seen very few on the West Coast. Although, many years ago, I picked up a very large SA collection (mostly DCs) that have grease pencil arrival dates. They make no sense to me other than most of them had them. Kid probably bought most of them from the same store. 

On 1/11/2022 at 4:32 AM, PDGray said:

I am still VERY curious as to the details of the second set of brothers you learned of.  While I would love to know names and such I am more interested in more details of this story.

@sfcityduck can you confirm that one of the two sets is, in fact, the correct one?  

Respectfully,

PDG

Yes. 

On 1/11/2022 at 1:09 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

If we can find some books with an “F” on them, it will really shed light on this collection. Then these KFC books would truly be finger-licking good!

On 1/11/2022 at 10:55 AM, Robot Man said:

Pretty hard to define distributor markings. They are regional and pertain to many different distributors. Seems like the Church and Crippen marks have been pretty well figured out but most are lost to time.

For some reason, I have seen very few on the West Coast. Although, many years ago, I picked up a very large SA collection (mostly DCs) that have grease pencil arrival dates. They make no sense to me other than most of them had them. Kid probably bought most of them from the same store. 

My Crippen book has a W 10 on the cover.  Do you have any idea what that means?  The book was graded before I got it, but I would absolutely love to see the "code" that is on the inside of these books.  As I understand it nobody knows how to interpret it, but it would be absolutely fascinating to at least know what's in there!

PDG

On 1/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, sfcityduck said:

Yes. 

Well, for what it's worth, I appreciate and applaud your research to have discerned as much about the story as you did, whichever story it might be.  Thank you.

PDG

On 1/11/2022 at 3:58 PM, PDGray said:

My Crippen book has a W 10 on the cover.  Do you have any idea what that means?  The book was graded before I got it, but I would absolutely love to see the "code" that is on the inside of these books.  As I understand it nobody knows how to interpret it, but it would be absolutely fascinating to at least know what's in there!

PDG

I know how to interpret it. I was the one who broke the code when the main collection was submitted to cgc.

On 1/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is one of mine. Green Hornet #19 July 1944. It has a small penciled “D” on the cover. As far as the code goes (inside at top of splash), I believe the 1849 represents how many comics in his collection and this is the 1849th one. The “FC” represents the publisher, Family Comics. I can’t remember what the “28” means. Maybe someone can chime in here.

Crack your copy and enjoy it! 

E4F2C06E-D0F3-4825-8C34-78B2DFC98C48.jpeg

9261712F-D89B-4E32-8B76-86360E919E8A.jpeg

AEA568E9-64CC-4AE9-9D7D-8B6F46434879.jpeg

BED60DD7-E305-4EC5-8E00-B2104D42E41F.jpeg

Correct on the first number and FC. The “28” represents this is the 28th comic in the collection from that publisher.

On 1/11/2022 at 3:51 PM, Timely said:

Correct on the first number and FC. The “28” represents this is the 28th comic in the collection from that publisher.

Thanks so much. I knew it was something like that.

Great to have such a great authority here on the boards. Part of what makes this such a great place!

On 1/11/2022 at 4:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Here is one of mine. Green Hornet #19 July 1944. It has a small penciled “D” on the cover. As far as the code goes (inside at top of splash), I believe the 1849 represents how many comics in his collection and this is the 1849th one. The “FC” represents the publisher, Family Comics. I can’t remember what the “28” means. Maybe someone can chime in here.

Crack your copy and enjoy it! 

E4F2C06E-D0F3-4825-8C34-78B2DFC98C48.jpeg

9261712F-D89B-4E32-8B76-86360E919E8A.jpeg

AEA568E9-64CC-4AE9-9D7D-8B6F46434879.jpeg

BED60DD7-E305-4EC5-8E00-B2104D42E41F.jpeg

Absolutely amazing book.  I am curious about mine, but will not crack it open.  I am sure someone somewhere has the info anyway.  Thank you!

On 1/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, Timely said:

I know how to interpret it. I was the one who broke the code when the main collection was submitted to cgc.

Brilliant work on your part.  This is all new information for me, but I am no GA expert by any stretch, so I appreciate the opportunity to learn. 

I stand in awe of the information available on this board.  Thank you!

PDG

I know this is a thread about another pedigree, but I wanted to post a recent purchase.  It was presented to me as a possible Crippen book - the obvious clue being the pencil "D" on the cover.  The book is in solid shape and the pages are not bad for a book from 1946, however, I wanted to get opinions on this book and whether anyone else thought it might be from the Crippen collection.  My amateurish handwriting analysis shows some similarity, but with the books posted only a few posts earlier the "D" is more downward slanting, while this is more upward slanting.  This could happen for any number of reasons, but looking for opinions.

If so, would CGC identify it as such on a label if I submitted it without a paper trail?

Thank you!

PDG

320926279_ClassicsIllustrated29-PrinceandthePauper.thumb.jpeg.cd2638f1b938d7150a2272e173175be1.jpegI

possible Crippen D.jpeg

On 1/24/2022 at 3:59 PM, sfcityduck said:

There are, unfortunately, other "D" books than Crippens.  Your "D" is more ornate than Crippens I've seen.  So might be a hard sale.

Not looking to resell the book.  I rarely, if ever, sell anything from my PC.  I didn't pay much for it but would love to be able to authenticate it.  The last few months have gotten me into finding books from the different pedigrees.  I already have one from the Crippen collection, so this would be a bonus if it were to play out like that.  

As an aside, this book came out in October of 1946, my dad was born in November 1946.  I lost my dad some 20 years ago, but books like this (pedigreed or not) remind me of him - although he hated my comic book collecting.  Ha!

PDG