• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men 129 9.8 ... a $13,250 comic? Huh?

36 posts in this topic

Most likely a domino effect.  This is the next best thing after 94, which is next best after GSX, which is next best after IH181, which is next best after X-Men 1, etc...  And all the other books are getting way up there.

In terms of spec, maybe people think Kitty could serve as an audience surrogate-type character in the MCU?  (shrug)

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I don't understand the hype for 129 myself.  Yes, three first appearances, but what are the odds that any of them even show up in the MCU version of the X-men?  

It's a cool book in the middle of a great run but definitely not worth the money being thrown at it.  I'm saying this and I own a 9.8.

I think the chance is very high.  

However I agree with you on the price, though I only have a lowly 9.6.

3 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I don't understand the hype for 129 myself.  Yes, three first appearances, but what are the odds that any of them even show up in the MCU version of the X-men?  

It's a cool book in the middle of a great run but definitely not worth the money being thrown at it.  I'm saying this and I own a 9.8.

38 minutes ago, FormerReader said:

I think the chance is very high.  

However I agree with you on the price, though I only have a lowly 9.6.

I also think it is quite likely that Kitty Pryde will show up and I can see them building the Mentorship role with Wolverine. They need to do that character right as there is great potential.

but agree that the price is high for a 9.8 but it is a great book. 

20 minutes ago, bluehorseshoe said:

I can’t imagine having to wait for an Internet video to tell me about that sale when it’s just about two weeks old and you’re just finding out.

lol.  In that time it could have doubled in price.

Is this book even rare?  Seems like everybody in this thread has a copy:applause:

***I got one:bigsmile:

Yeah no....there's too many copies and Kitty is not that huge a character for that astronomical price to hold even if it was a UPC. 1979 UPC would have too many 9.8s floating around to merit such a boost anyway. 

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

That price was on comiclink. 

Interestingly, a subsequent sale on heritage a few days later didnt even achieve half of that. 

-J.

Imagine being that seller on Heritage thinking you were going to cash in, getting your hopes up for at least a $10k sale, and then the crash & burn.

Likewise the Heritage buyer must think they got the deal of the century.

9 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Imagine being that seller on Heritage thinking you were going to cash in, getting your hopes up for at least a $10k sale, and then the crash & burn.

Likewise the Heritage buyer must think they got the deal of the century.

Even half that price is still impressive if you ignore the last sale. I’m an X-men fan, but big picture this is only Kitty Pride. Crazy times.

8 minutes ago, FormerReader said:

Even half that price is still impressive if you ignore the last sale. I’m an X-men fan, but big picture this is only Kitty Pride. Crazy times.

Too be truthful, it's the 1st appearance of Emma Frost too and she's become a pretty important character in the x-universe.

Also 1st Sebastian Shaw.

I just looked on ebay and someone has a X129 9.8 listed at $20,200.  :facepalm:

Also, there is a 9.8 listed at $8999...... so why would you buy one for $13250 on CL???

Someone is trying to artificially inflate prices.

I think we will find out that the $13250 never went thru.

20 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Too be truthful, it's the 1st appearance of Emma Frost too and she's become a pretty important character in the x-universe.

Also 1st Sebastian Shaw.

I just looked on ebay and someone has a X129 9.8 listed at $20,200.  :facepalm:

Also, there is a 9.8 listed at $8999...... so why would you buy one for $13250 on CL???

Someone is trying to artificially inflate prices.

I think we will find out that the $13250 never went thru.

All good points.

14 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

I also think it is quite likely that Kitty Pryde will show up and I can see them building the Mentorship role with Wolverine. They need to do that character right as there is great potential.

but agree that the price is high for a 9.8 but it is a great book. 

The Fox films gave that role to Rogue.  Who's to say the next character to play that part isn't Jubilee?  No sure bet with any of the characters introduced in this book.

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

The Fox films gave that role to Rogue.  Who's to say the next character to play that part isn't Jubilee?  No sure bet with any of the characters introduced in this book.

Agreed and I think Jubilee is also definitely a possibility.  I just think Kitty is a cool character and having the White Queen and Sebastian Shaw as well makes this a great book and a top bronze age key for the X-Men (top 5 bronze X-Men book for me - GSXM1, XM101, XM94, XM129).

That being said I don't think is is a $13K book for a 9.8 - although I think 9.8s are relatively "scarce" for this book (but I could be wrong).  Full disclosure I own a copy (CGC 9.2 White Pager newsstand) and as I down-size my collection it may be one of the books to go, but I still really love this book.

But as the OP stated for $13K I would much rather take that money and buy a 2.5 X-Men 1 :)

Just because a small but growing minority of collectors with very deep pockets can drop a huge sum of money on a comic-key you might personally value at say 1/3 the final hammer price - does not in any reflect the true value of said book.  Comics are inherently valuable because we choose to place that value on them.  As more and more rich buyers enter the market place with no real history or understanding of the past - we can expect seemingly outrageous prices - not to mention market manipulation and shill bidding on eBay.  As far as stating why someone spent 10k on a very common 1980 Bronze Age key in 9.8 when they could've spent that towards a low grade blue chip grail Silver Ager, that is your preference not theirs.  A $1,000.00 to one guy feels like a $100 to another guy and $10 to another guy.  In the end getting caught up in or sucked into the apparently shocking final hammer prices is buying into them and joining an echo chamber of sorts, wherein you quote the prices online, make eye-rolling comments in threads like this, maybe even post a YouTube video about it and in the end you become part of the market cycle of perpetuating prices and pushing prices up with no real understanding of valuation.  Personally my most fruitful buying was done in my own vacuum of sorts - I never asked for advice, I never knew of GPA - let alone how to find final sale prices on eBay and I bought out of love and instinct and it was glorious.  For those out there looking at high sale price points as the true valuation of many books by constantly checking GPA etc - I say those buyers beware because then you give up your ability to distinguish truth from possible fiction by depending and waiting on a few to dictate the value to the many.   My 2 cents:preach:

LEMMINGS.JPG

Edited by Roger66